GPU crashing on PC startup

So the other day my PC's graphics card (Asus GTX 770 2gb) started crashing / flickering in and out of life with graphical glitches when under high load while gaming. I thought it could be a temp issue so I decided to remove my gpu, take it apart, clean it with isopropyl alcohol 100% + compressed air, add new thermal paste, put it back together and install it again. Only issue is now it crashes instantly when the PC starts with error code 43 in the device manager, but I still get an image through DVI-D (HDMI will not work).
Things I have tried to resolve the issue:
DDU all nvidia drivers and reinstalling them clean

Cleaned it all again (air, iso100, thermal paste)
tried different pcie slot
tried different power cable and slot in psu (its 750w modular 80+ gold only a year old)

Another thing, whilst removing and installing the GPU first time round I forgot to switch my PSU's power off, so could it be possible that I have zapped my GPU to death?

I hate to say it but I've had a very similar issue and it was in fact Windows 10 that caused the issue. Error code 43 and a little bit of Graphical glitches was what I had with my HD 7970. Best fix I got for it was to re-install the OS, in fact it worked better with a Linux install from then on but your mileage may vary. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

7 minutes ago, Brennan Price said:

I hate to say it but I've had a very similar issue and it was in fact Windows 10 that caused the issue. Error code 43 and a little bit of Graphical glitches was what I had with my HD 7970. Best fix I got for it was to re-install the OS, in fact it worked better with a Linux install from then on but your mileage may vary. 

But how could this happen out of the blue for no reason, without any changes/updates to the OS? I've read that error 43 can be caused by many different things, primarily hardware issues. Could it possibly be some kind of gpu bios issue?

3 minutes ago, jakey1995abc said:

But how could this happen out of the blue for no reason, without any changes/updates to the OS? I've read that error 43 can be caused by many different things, primarily hardware issues. Could it possibly be some kind of gpu bios issue?

That is also what I believed and experienced though. My HD 7970 works fine in Linux and was fine after a Windows 10 reinstall. Might be worth testing to see if you get any issues with a bootable Linux flash drive and see where you go from there. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, Brennan Price said:

That is also what I believed and experienced though. My HD 7970 works fine in Linux and was fine after a Windows 10 reinstall. Might be worth testing to see if you get any issues with a bootable Linux flash drive and see where you go from there. 

Thanks, alright I will give that a go when I get the time and update this thread with my results. Got any small sized, easy to run linux distro recommendations for usb booting?

44 minutes ago, jakey1995abc said:

Thanks, alright I will give that a go when I get the time and update this thread with my results. Got any small sized, easy to run linux distro recommendations for usb booting?

No worries, I would recommend Slax Linux, absolutely tiny install and it works best installed straight to a USB stick. I believe they've made a Debian based install for this too so it should be easy to get set up. 

My Rig:

Card is now considered dead. I've also now tried linux distro, reinstall windows 10, and did another thorough clean of the card. nothing worked and the card was still shutting down on startup. I've read online that the artifacting lines I got for a split second as I started up windows is likely caused by faulty/damaged vram. So I bought a new rtx 2060, plugged it in and now everything is fine. Thank you for the help. I will probably try reviving it again at a later date, sometimes I find electronics can be weird like that and start working again after a long time of not being used :D

1 hour ago, jakey1995abc said:

Card is now considered dead. I've also now tried linux distro, reinstall windows 10, and did another thorough clean of the card. nothing worked and the card was still shutting down on startup. I've read online that the artifacting lines I got for a split second as I started up windows is likely caused by faulty/damaged vram. So I bought a new rtx 2060, plugged it in and now everything is fine. Thank you for the help. I will probably try reviving it again at a later date, sometimes I find electronics can be weird like that and start working again after a long time of not being used :D

Well, look at the bright side, your broken GPU gave you an excuse to upgrade.?

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches