How much is this worth?

LilRamenCHS
8 hours ago, LilRamenCHS said:

I just want to sell it to buy an iMac to use Garageband. I bought a Macbook and do Garageband on it and I absolutely love it, so i'm converting. 

Rossman group came out with a video telling you how you are not supposed to go with apple if you are a content creator in 2019. Good luck with that encrypted USB port.

11 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

Rossman group came out with a video telling you how you are not supposed to go with apple if you are a content creator in 2019. Good luck with that encrypted USB port.

I'm not going to call Louis freaking Rossman wrong on matters of Mac, where he's the undisputed heavyweight king. I will say that there's a reality he's overlooking: many content creators are totally dependent upon Mac at this point, and with Apple EOLing the extremely popular 2011 models (and positioned to EOL the  equally popular 2012 MacBooks this year), those content creators are going to need to upgrade. Jumping from something like Garage Band or Final Cut to Adobe or an Adobe clone is just not feasible in a lot of cases. For content creators, OSX is just better, and if you need to upgrade OSX in 2019, your options are a Mac and...a Mac.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

I'm not going to call Louis freaking Rossman wrong on matters of Mac, where he's the undisputed heavyweight king. I will say that there's a reality he's overlooking: many content creators are totally dependent upon Mac at this point, and with Apple EOLing the extremely popular 2011 models (and positioned to EOL the  equally popular 2012 MacBooks this year), those content creators are going to need to upgrade. Jumping from something like Garage Band or Final Cut to Adobe or an Adobe clone is just not feasible in a lot of cases. For content creators, OSX is just better, and if you need to upgrade OSX in 2019, your options are a Mac and...a Mac.

Content creators do not make art.  If you want consumerism by all means keep loving apple.  Artist make their own sounds with instruments.  They don't need an Ai to play for them.  Some people can't even. You have alot more freedom to not be stuck to a set block/click/ time when using abandoneware.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I'm not going to call Louis freaking Rossman wrong on matters of Mac, where he's the undisputed heavyweight king. I will say that there's a reality he's overlooking: many content creators are totally dependent upon Mac at this point, and with Apple EOLing the extremely popular 2011 models (and positioned to EOL the  equally popular 2012 MacBooks this year), those content creators are going to need to upgrade.

You probably didn't watch the video.

Latest macs have bugs on USB2, which causes some external sound cards to drop samples for no reason.

Whole point is that Macs used to be the reference for "tools that just work" for creators to do their job reliably without having to care about the equipment, and this is falling apart due to addition of totally unnecessary stuff that nobody cares about.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

46 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

Content creators do not make art.  If you want consumerism by all means keep loving apple.  Artist make their own sounds with instruments.  They don't need an Ai to play for them.  Some people can't even. You have alot more freedom to not be stuck to a set block/click/ time when using abandoneware.

I bought a MacBook Pro two weeks ago...and returned it four hours later. I'm far from a lover of all things Apple, but the sheet dominance of Final Cut Pro in particular is tough to challenge.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I bought a MacBook Pro two weeks ago...and returned it four hours later. I'm far from a lover of all things Apple, but the sheet dominance of Final Cut Pro in particular is tough to challenge.

Nothing fancy about apple movie maker. People use to make that stuff by hand.

4 hours ago, Animal901 said:

Luckily I don't use USB ports that much <#. I have an iPhone 8, iPad Air 2, Macbook Pro so an iMac would fit right in for what I need it to do. 

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Honestly EOLing a 7 year old machine isn't a bad thing. I have 1 person I know who only uses his 2012 for content creation because he just doesn't wanna upgrade yet. I have a retina model so it'll probably last another few years. But even EOLing a 2012 means it will get another 2 years of security (if i'm right) and DosDude1 Patcher can help older machines. 

2 hours ago, Animal901 said:

I have a LOT more freedom using Garageband on my Macbook than I ever had in the way of free programs on my windows laptops. Garageband is a real heavy hitter DAW, and nothing like it is on Windows for free. 

1 hour ago, Animal901 said:

Nothing fancy about apple movie maker. People use to make that stuff by hand.

Yeah but for modern workflows there isn't much to challenge Apple. Apple has iMovie, Final Cut, Garageband, Logic. Microsoft simply can't say the same. I've tried other products on Windows like Davinci Resolve and it was great, or Pro Tools first and it was garbage because it barely worked. 

15 minutes ago, LilRamenCHS said:

Yeah but for modern workflows there isn't much to challenge Apple. Apple has iMovie, Final Cut, Garageband, Logic. Microsoft simply can't say the same. I've tried other products on Windows like Davinci Resolve and it was great, or Pro Tools first and it was garbage because it barely worked. 

Resolve works quite well if you get used to it, but yeah Apple has better software. FCP X is excellent if you don't need the extra features something like Adobe Premiere has, and it's cheaper ($300 one time purchase, no sub) and doesn't have a horrifically dark and confusing UI. AFAIK Logic is damn near industry standard for many audio people, and GarageBand is indeed pretty damn nice, whether you're a kid just tinkering, or someone trying to do something more serious. 

People will give you a list of workarounds to try and get you to Windows (same as many Linux users do trying to promote their OS of choice), but at the end of the day some people just can't be bothered to work around lol. I love Linux but I can't be arsed to find a workaround or subpar alternative for literally all the software I use and then still not be able to run most of my games, so I stick with Windows for home and macOS for work. All down to personal preference, if you like macOS and the software it offers then hell yeah!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Resolve works quite well if you get used to it, but yeah Apple has better software. FCP X is excellent if you don't need the extra features something like Adobe Premiere has, and it's cheaper ($300 one time purchase, no sub) and doesn't have a horrifically dark and confusing UI. AFAIK Logic is damn near industry standard for many audio people, and GarageBand is indeed pretty damn nice, whether you're a kid just tinkering, or someone trying to do something more serious. 

People will give you a list of workarounds to try and get you to Windows (same as many Linux users do trying to promote their OS of choice), but at the end of the day some people just can't be bothered to work around lol. I love Linux but I can't be arsed to find a workaround or subpar alternative for literally all the software I use and then still not be able to run most of my games, so I stick with Windows for home and macOS for work. All down to personal preference, if you like macOS and the software it offers then hell yeah!

The only games I even play are Fortnite and CSGO. A 2014 iMac with like a 290x wouldn't have trouble with either even in MacOSX. I like Windows, I grew up using windows and now at 16 is the first time i've ever used MacOS. And I can legitimately say I support Apple, because a 6 year old Late 2013 Macbook Pro is the best computer i've ever used, out of about 7 desktops and 3 or 4 laptops, it's the best in the hardware like the trackpad, screen, keyboard, and in software. 

25 minutes ago, LilRamenCHS said:

in the way of free programs on my windows laptops. Garageband is a real heavy hitter DAW, and nothing like it is on Windows for free. 

The programs are "free" on Mac... becasue you paid for them by buying an overpriced Mac. 

If you bought a PC with comparable specs you'd have $1k to spend on programs, and that goes a long way :)

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

The programs are "free" on Mac... becasue you paid for them by buying a Mac. 

If you bought a PC with comparable specs you'd have $1k to spend on programs, and that goes a long way :)

a 2013 Macbook Pro is probably about $50-200 more than a comparable machine, from the same time. 

But for that you get a trackpad that feels like it's from this decade, a REALLY nice screen, good backlit keyboard and solid construction (and the included software that blows every other OS out there out of the water. 

Just now, Kilrah said:

The programs are "free" on Mac... becasue you paid for them by buying an overpriced Mac. 

You also wouldn't have macOS or the macOS apps the OP wants to use so... 

2 minutes ago, LilRamenCHS said:

The only games I even play are Fortnite and CSGO. A 2014 iMac with like a 290x wouldn't have trouble with either even in MacOSX. I like Windows, I grew up using windows and now at 16 is the first time i've ever used MacOS. And I can legitimately say I support Apple, because a 6 year old Late 2013 Macbook Pro is the best computer i've ever used, out of about 7 desktops and 3 or 4 laptops, it's the best in the hardware like the trackpad, screen, keyboard, and in software. 

Awww yeah. Pretty sure they use the mobile versions tho? IIRC the 5K iMac used to work with had an m295X. Still ran Unigine Valley half decently at 1440p, if you ran games with tweaked settings you'd be able to push that, or drop to a lower res. Pushing the native res of that Mac is impossible tho lmao, except maybe in CS:GO. And if you can get your hands on one with the 5K panel, by all means do. They are g o r g e o u s. 

1 minute ago, LilRamenCHS said:

a 2013 Macbook Pro is probably about $50-200 more than a comparable machine, from the same time. 

But for that you get a trackpad that feels like it's from this decade, a REALLY nice screen, good backlit keyboard and solid construction (and the included software that blows every other OS out there out of the water. 

PowerBook trackpads feel like modern trackpads, they're just very small. Apple has been on top of the trackpad game for a damn good while now. Retina screens are amazing as well, and yes. People usually compare a mac to a fat black plastic laptop with a 1366x768 screen but hey it has a faster i5 so it's better. Compared to their actual competition, the XPS boyes, some Surface devices, other metal bodied thin/light laptops, they're not as overly expensive as people seem to think. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

You also wouldn't have macOS or the macOS apps the OP wants to use so... 

Awww yeah. Pretty sure they use the mobile versions tho? IIRC the 5K iMac used to work with had an m295X. Still ran Unigine Valley half decently at 1440p, if you ran games with tweaked settings you'd be able to push that, or drop to a lower res. Pushing the native res of that Mac is impossible tho lmao, except maybe in CS:GO. And if you can get your hands on one with the 5K panel, by all means do. They are g o r g e o u s. 

PowerBook trackpads feel like modern trackpads, they're just very small. Apple has been on top of the trackpad game for a damn good while now. Retina screens are amazing as well, and yes. People usually compare a mac to a fat black plastic laptop with a 1366x768 screen but hey it has a faster i5 so it's better. Compared to their actual competition, the XPS boyes, some Surface devices, other metal bodied thin/light laptops, they're not as overly expensive as people seem to think. 

yeah, but when it comes to the screens especially it feels like it's taken way way too long for laptops to adopt a similarly good screen. 

Just now, LilRamenCHS said:

yeah, but when it comes to the screens especially it feels like it's taken way way too long for laptops to adopt a similarly good screen. 

The fact that 1080p panels aren't standard on all laptops yet is... really really dumb. Are they really gonna cut into margins that much? 

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

The fact that 1080p panels aren't standard on all laptops yet is... really really dumb. Are they really gonna cut into margins that much? 

I'm sure 1440p wouldn't cut margins for most laptops to be "unprofitable". If a 6 year old I5 with IGPU can run a 1440p display i'm certain an I7 8750h can too.

2 hours ago, LilRamenCHS said:

I have a LOT more freedom using Garageband on my Macbook than I ever had in the way of free programs on my windows laptops. Garageband is a real heavy hitter DAW, and nothing like it is on Windows for free. 

Adobe audition 1.5 sounds just like any other song editor out there. Time does not improve wave files.  College kids are taught to use protools.  havent heard a single one mention that yet. Not everyone has the same plugins.  You can't move from pc to oc like they say.  It's easy for people like Paul McCartney to use apple's cause he's old and British tech sucks. Click tracks are awful. Drummers cant keep time anymore..

3 hours ago, Animal901 said:

Adobe audition 1.5 sounds just like any other song editor out there. Time does not improve wave files.  College kids are taught to use protools.  havent heard a single one mention that yet. Not everyone has the same plugins.  You can't move from pc to oc like they say.  It's easy for people like Paul McCartney to use apple's cause he's old and British tech sucks. Click tracks are awful. Drummers cant keep time anymore..

that last part seems awfully boomer of you

1 hour ago, LilRamenCHS said:

that last part seems awfully boomer of you

No i was born in 87. Lmfao..... I play drums. People really do have bad timing. It's why click track it's the thing.  Like auto tune.....  Like the guitar player in my band. Lol...

For real though... wav files have not improved. Hd audio is a joke. If you're not careful the college trained sound guy will give you mp3s of the material you paid him to record.

4 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

No i was born in 87. Lmfao..... I play drums. People really do have bad timing. It's why click track it's the thing.  Like auto tune.....  Like the guitar player in my band. Lol...

For real though... wav files have not improved. Hd audio is a joke. If you're not careful the college trained sound guy will give you mp3s of the material you paid him to record.

garageband is the best DAW tho for most people. I'm recording a band this saturday with Garageband.