Repurpose Old desktop as SAN or NAS

Chiyawa

Hi,

I have some old computers at my local 2nd hand shop, and I thought maybe I can buy one of the decent desktop and convert it as a NAS. In my search, I have narrow down a few:

Generic self build desktop:

- 4th Gen Core i5 (I think 4600)

- 8GB DDR3 12800 RAM

- 2 SATA 3, 2 SATA 2

- The case can hold 3 3.5inch HDD and 3 5.25 inch ODD

Another one:

- 2nd Gen Core i5

- 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM (System limit to 1333MHz)

- 1 SATA 3, 3 SATA 2

- mATX tower (can hold 2 3.5inch HDD and 1 5,25 inch ODD)

There's also one:

- Core 2 Duo T8600

- 4GB DDR3 (That's the time where DDR3 just launched and some motherboard has DDR2 and DDR3 slots)

- 1 IDE header

- 2 SATA 1 header

- Classic Beige ATX mid tower chasis

I only use them to archive something, using Gigabit Ethernet for transferring between devices. The device is quite cheap, where the 4th Gen Core i5 one cost me about USD150 while Core 2 Duo is about USD 50. Do you think it worths for the price? Or do you think I should go for single board computer like Raspberry Pi?

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

An RPie 4 with a 6 port SATA hat will do you just fine

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

A Rpie4 even with all the various bells and whistles will max you at about 40MBps transfer speeds.  That's a third of Gigabit speeds.  With even an i3 you'll do much better, save money on power costs and easily hit the 100-120MBps transfer speeds that Gigabit will get you + overhead.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

5 hours ago, SenKa said:

An RPie 4 with a 6 port SATA hat will do you just fine

Hmm... I don't seems to recall RPie 4 has SATA ports. It only has USB 3.0. Do I need to buy SATA to USB converter?

11 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

A Rpie4 even with all the various bells and whistles will max you at about 40MBps transfer speeds.  That's a third of Gigabit speeds.  With even an i3 you'll do much better, save money on power costs and easily hit the 100-120MBps transfer speeds that Gigabit will get you + overhead.

Hmm... I see. Okay, I'll try to find some Core i3 system then. Should be a little cheaper.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

5 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Hmm... I don't seems to recall RPie 4 has SATA ports. It only has USB 3.0. Do I need to buy SATA to USB converter?

Hmm... I see. Okay, I'll try to find some Core i3 system then. Should be a little cheaper.

In fact a lot of the mid range SMB commercial NASs use i3's, athough the slightly newer 4 core variants, although very low clock speeds.  Probably OEM SKUs.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.