PC crashes when gaming

My PC which I custom built almost 3 years ago was working PERFECTLY fine until like 3 days ago when I let my younger brother go on it as he wanted to play CSGO. He launched a comp match and all was working fine until a couple of minutes in to the game when the PC just crashed and turned off he then powered it on and after launching CSGO the same thing happened the 4th time it happened he said the PC refused to turn on so when I came and checked it out nothing seemed off but the power button was not working and then I turned off the PSU. I made sure NO power was going to the PC by making sure the small LED on the MOBO and GPU turned off then when I powered the PC and it turned on fine and I even used for the like 6-7 hours straight watching youtube and browsing the web and watching movies and stuff. I didn't really notice anything wrong with the PC. The next day my brother thought the PC was fine so asked to play CSGO again and I let him and the EXACT SAME THING happens but this time instead of happening a few minutes after playing a match it happened as soon as the map loaded (and also now every time the PC crashes as a result the power button doesn't work so I have to totally make sure no power is getting to the PC before I can press the power button for it to turn on). I decided to check if the problem was happening with other games and when I launched GTA V it happened too and when I launched The Witcher 3 I had problems too (old games such as GTA III and VC and games that were hardly demanding at all seemed to be working totally fine without crashing my PC) 

I noticed this problem is ONLY happening if I play a game and my PC fans ramp up noticeably in sound and speed as long as I can notice my PC fans increase in speed and noise output at all from stock speeds and sounds  and I happen to be in a game my PC is likely to crash. I have never had this issue before and to me it seems like it could be some sort of safety mechanism on my motherboard that goes a bit too far

specs 

i7 7700K

Asus ROG Strix z270H

Asus ROG Strix RX480 8GB

Corsair 16GB 3200Mhz CL16 2x8GB RAM

CPU cooler is Corsair H115i

It sounds like your little brothers game hits your hardware a lot harder than you do normally.  Everything you described as normal usage is very low stress.  It’s possible your computer may have always had a flaw but it never came up because you never hit it hard enough before.

did you stress test the thing when you built it?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

when the PC just crashed and turned off he then powered it on

Like it shut down completely ? Not just restarted ? That's the PSU issue, what it is ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Bombastinator said:

It sounds like your little brothers game hits your hardware a lot harder than you do normally.  Everything you described as normal usage is very low stress.  It’s possible your computer may have always had a flaw but it never came up because you never hit it hard enough before.

did you stress test the thing when you built it?

Never stress tested it.It was the first PC and only PC I have ever built. I am still kinda a noob when it comes to things such as overclocking or troubleshooting. When you mentioned my brother hitting the PC hard with a CSGO game I have played more intense games without this sort of issue previously but I do think maybe if my PC did have a problem it was likely something such as low life expectancy on one of the computer parts I have or something

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Like it shut down completely ? Not just restarted ? That's the PSU issue, what it is ?

NO it force shuts down similar to when you hold the power button for a few seconds and windows doesn't even get the chance to close and shut down the whole screen goes black as soon as the PC crashes and all my fans and the AIO pump just turn off

2 minutes ago, Z.S said:

NO it force shuts down similar to when you hold the power button for a few seconds and windows doesn't even get the chance to close and shut down the whole screen goes black as soon as the PC crashes and all my fans and the AIO pump just turn off

Again, what's your PSU ?

Just now, Juular said:

Again, what's your PSU ?

PSU is the Corsair RM850x (I am using custom Cable Mod cables on it)

1 minute ago, Z.S said:

Okay, it's not bad. Download HWiNFO and check thermals on the GPU and CPU in games (after 10 minutes or so), close all other monitoring apps for the time being (various motherboard bloatware, NZXT\Corsair\MSI\ASUS stuff, MSI Afterburner, Open HW Monitor, Speccy etc.)

Any game that makes my PC fans ramp up in speed even slightly crashes my PC immediately so I can't really check the thermals if I can't even play the game

52 minutes ago, Z.S said:

Any game that makes my PC fans ramp up in speed even slightly crashes my PC immediately so I can't really check the thermals if I can't even play the game

So don’t play a game.  If it’s a heat problem the thermals will be high no matter what.  Something that puts a little stress would be all that is needed to check.  You don’t need to blow the top off.

That the thing USED to handle higher stress but doesn’t anymore implies some sort of hardware failure but it could still be a heat related one.  Broken fan, premature thermal paste breakdown (did you use liquid metal paste btw) 

Im kind of still wondering about the PSU.  Not the electronics but something with its fan or fan switch.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I am using regular thermal paste (Arctic MX-4) I am considering getting new thermal paste so maybe it is that but the thing for me is that this problem happened out of the blue

3 minutes ago, Z.S said:

I am using regular thermal paste (Arctic MX-4) I am considering getting new thermal paste so maybe it is that but the thing for me is that this problem happened out of the blue

Most thermal pastes last longer than a couple years.  Liquid metal is kind of an exception.  If there’s no liquid metal it’s probably not the issue.

it may look like it happend out of the blue but it may not have.  When was the last time before your little brother showed up that the thing successfully played something highly stressful without problems?

Edited by Bombastinator
Addition

2 hours ago, Z.S said:

My PC which I custom built almost 3 years ago was working PERFECTLY fine until like 3 days ago when I let my younger brother go on it as he wanted to play CSGO. He launched a comp match and all was working fine until a couple of minutes in to the game when the PC just crashed and turned off he then powered it on and after launching CSGO the same thing happened the 4th time it happened he said the PC refused to turn on so when I came and checked it out nothing seemed off but the power button was not working and then I turned off the PSU. I made sure NO power was going to the PC by making sure the small LED on the MOBO and GPU turned off then when I powered the PC and it turned on fine and I even used for the like 6-7 hours straight watching youtube and browsing the web and watching movies and stuff. I didn't really notice anything wrong with the PC. The next day my brother thought the PC was fine so asked to play CSGO again and I let him and the EXACT SAME THING happens but this time instead of happening a few minutes after playing a match it happened as soon as the map loaded (and also now every time the PC crashes as a result the power button doesn't work so I have to totally make sure no power is getting to the PC before I can press the power button for it to turn on). I decided to check if the problem was happening with other games and when I launched GTA V it happened too and when I launched The Witcher 3 I had problems too (old games such as GTA III and VC and games that were hardly demanding at all seemed to be working totally fine without crashing my PC) 

I noticed this problem is ONLY happening if I play a game and my PC fans ramp up noticeably in sound and speed as long as I can notice my PC fans increase in speed and noise output at all from stock speeds and sounds  and I happen to be in a game my PC is likely to crash. I have never had this issue before and to me it seems like it could be some sort of safety mechanism on my motherboard that goes a bit too far

specs 

i7 7700K

Asus ROG Strix z270H

Asus ROG Strix RX480 8GB

Corsair 16GB 3200Mhz CL16 2x8GB RAM

CPU cooler is Corsair H115i

whats your power supply

1 hour ago, Z.S said:

oh i see rmx, thats not a poor psu by any means.

Check temps as others are saying, otherwise consider messaging corsair regarding psu as this does seem awfully like an psu issue and sometimes even the best psus can go bad.

Otherwise i think it could be mobo.