are a40s the best headset to buy?

GuyWithProblem

I am looking for a new headset as my a40s have come to the end of their life. worn, old, things are breaking and they are 6 years old.

Well, i keep searching the internet but i keep finding "budget" "cheap" "value" $100-200 headphones...I don't want  "budget" "cheap" "value" $100-200 headphones...I want to spend $500-600 on a pair of very good headphones. I have a crosshair vi hero, if the sound on this motherboard is not good enough i will buy what i need to make them work. these are strictly used for gaming, no movies, no music. i have alternative sound options for these things...however, just because they are for gaming i want the best reasonably priced sound option...i don't want a good $200 headset, i want a great $500 headset if that exists.

If you want some great headsets, the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 or 1990 are great ~500$ headphones, as is the hifiman sundara but you'll need a dac amp. I'd reccommend the Schiit Jotunheim. Onboard audio is terrible. The sennheiser HD 700 is regarded as one of the best (for gaming and audiophile) headphones but is discontinued.

But honestly you don't need that good a headphones for gaming. You won't play any better with 1500$ cans than with 150$ ones.

"But honestly you don't need that good a headphones for gaming. You won't play any better with 1500$ cans than with 150$ ones."

This is the entire point, I want the best sound, i get to play on the computer for a few weeks a year. I don't want to use $200 headphones when the sound experience could be so much better if i spent $500. The $300 is not relevant to me, and my time spent has way more value than the saved dollars that I don't care about. Unfortunately I cannot spend $1000-$2000+ on headphones (this year) so my budget is around $500. 

I've had many cheap headphones and when i bought the a40s the change was insane, i was so happy i spent the extra money and bought them, but now i am here again...last year i spent $2000 on my car stereo and this year i wish i could spend $2000 on my computer audio but i've got like $500-600 to spend on audio so thats what im looking for.

I have the Sennheiser HD 6XX from massdrop and a Schiit Magni and I only spent around $350. You can get the HD 6XX for around $220 and the Schiit Magni was $120 if you're on a budget and want high-end audio id recommend you check them out!

Main stuff idk

Laptop: Macbook Air M1 2020

Desktop/Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x

MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 3200

STORAGE: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD - WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC

PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 550W 80+

Other Stuff

VR Headset: Valve Index

Consoles: Nintendo Switch - Xbox Series X

2 hours ago, wookzi said:

I have the Sennheiser HD 6XX from massdrop and a Schiit Magni and I only spent around $350. You can get the HD 6XX for around $220 and the Schiit Magni was $120 if you're on a budget and want high-end audio id recommend you check them out!

6xx isn't great for gaming the lack of soundstage and imaging makes them weak. It's better to get a DT 880 or HD 58x both have wider soundstage a as well as imaging

16 minutes ago, rice guru said:

6xx isn't great for gaming the lack of soundstage and imaging makes them weak. It's better to get a DT 880 or HD 58x both have wider soundstage a as well as imaging

Fair enough, I'm still relatively new to high-end headphones and stuff so I still have a bit of learning to do when it comes to other headphones since these are my only pair currently.

Main stuff idk

Laptop: Macbook Air M1 2020

Desktop/Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x

MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 3200

STORAGE: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD - WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC

PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 550W 80+

Other Stuff

VR Headset: Valve Index

Consoles: Nintendo Switch - Xbox Series X

yeah, and i know nothing so i take everything i hear with a grain of salt and start researching the keywords, which is a huge help because my unconscious incompetence makes it very difficult to ask questions of things i don't know exist. anything you think is useful to research is something i'll look into...

1 hour ago, GuyWithProblem said:

yeah, and i know nothing so i take everything i hear with a grain of salt and start researching the keywords, which is a huge help because my unconscious incompetence makes it very difficult to ask questions of things i don't know exist. anything you think is useful to research is something i'll look into...

That's a great mindset. Well instead of reccomendations I will just say this for gaming or headphones in general the a40s are not good. What makes a good gaming headphone is a headphone with good soundstage meaning it can make things sound far as well as sound close. As well as imaging meaning it can place things effectively around you. For $500-$600 you can get pair or even a few pairs of excellent headphones and a dac and an amp for them.

7 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

If you want some great headsets, the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 or 1990 are great ~500$ headphones, as is the hifiman sundara but you'll need a dac amp. I'd reccommend the Schiit Jotunheim. Onboard audio is terrible. The sennheiser HD 700 is regarded as one of the best (for gaming and audiophile) headphones but is discontinued.

But honestly you don't need that good a headphones for gaming. You won't play any better with 1500$ cans than with 150$ ones.

Just correcting you here. The HD700 is indeed considered a good option for gaming due to the sound stage, but they are at the same time considered one of the worst for music listening. I own a pair, so I can say it based on experience as well. The HD6xx (HD650) and HD58x (HD600) are much superior for music (I also own the HD6xx).

6 hours ago, rice guru said:

That's a great mindset. Well instead of reccomendations I will just say this for gaming or headphones in general the a40s are not good. What makes a good gaming headphone is a headphone with good soundstage meaning it can make things sound far as well as sound close. As well as imaging meaning it can place things effectively around you. For $500-$600 you can get pair or even a few pairs of excellent headphones and a dac and an amp for them.

@GuyWithProblem That's as good of a response as you get. An easy to recommend combo without much compromises at a very decent price are JDS Atom + JDS Ol Dac or Schiit Magni 3+ + Modi 3. Both amps are solid state with an amazing bang for the buck. Both dacs are based on AKM AK4490 chip, which is also another great choice. I would do the brand pairing just for the looks really. Headphonewise, you really gotta get down to what kind of sound signature you tend to like the most before any real recommendations can be made (and by that I mean warm, neutral, or bright).

Strictly for gaming i think AD1000X or K7xx two of the best option

you can get a modmic and one of the new schiit’s aio amp+dac combo

8 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

@GuyWithProblem That's as good of a response as you get. An easy to recommend combo without much compromises at a very decent price are JDS Atom + JDS Ol Dac or Schiit Magni 3+ + Modi 3. Both amps are solid state with an amazing bang for the buck. Both dacs are based on AKM AK4490 chip, which is also another great choice. I would do the brand pairing just for the looks really. Headphonewise, you really gotta get down to what kind of sound signature you tend to like the most before any real recommendations can be made (and by that I mean warm, neutral, or bright).

I would hesitate to reccomend the oldac as there are better DACs out there now for cheaper or similar price points now like the topping d10, d30, or the tone board. 

My personal gaming setup audio wise is my 990 or 4xx with my monoprice liquid spark, paired with my topping d10

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

My personal gaming setup audio wise is my 990 or 4xx with my monoprice liquid spark, paired with my topping d10

Liquid Spark colours a bit the sound as I remember, no? Although it is incredibly well built.

20 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Liquid Spark colours a bit the sound as I remember, no? Although it is incredibly well built.

Yes, it's my preference. I like my gear colored I'm not the type of person who aims for absolute neutrality " cause it's as the artist intended"

But the liquid spark when I bought it was the best$100 amp to my ears as I like my headphones a bit brighter. But the liquid spark will take that brightness and smooth it out so it's a little less peaky. And it's rather powerful so it provides a lit of body to the low end. But it's also rather clean. Not as clean as the atom but really clean.

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Yes, it's my preference. I like my gear colored I'm not the type of person who aims for absolute neutrality " cause it's as the artist intended"

But the liquid spark when I bought it was the best$100 amp to my ears as I like my headphones a bit brighter. But the liquid spark will take that brightness and smooth it out so it's a little less peaky. And it's rather powerful so it provides a lit of body to the low end. But it's also rather clean. Not as clean as the atom but really clean.

I'm on the warmer side of the force. My suggestion was based on neutrality because we don't know what kind of sound he likes the most.

34 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I'm on the warmer side of the force. My suggestion was based on neutrality because we don't know what kind of sound he likes the most.

I get that I wasn't suggesting my setup  I was just throwing out what I personally use out there. But I wouldn't reccomend the oldac personally

On 12/6/2019 at 4:13 PM, GuyWithProblem said:

"But honestly you don't need that good a headphones for gaming. You won't play any better with 1500$ cans than with 150$ ones."

This is the entire point, I want the best sound, i get to play on the computer for a few weeks a year. I don't want to use $200 headphones when the sound experience could be so much better if i spent $500. The $300 is not relevant to me, and my time spent has way more value than the saved dollars that I don't care about. Unfortunately I cannot spend $1000-$2000+ on headphones (this year) so my budget is around $500. 

I've had many cheap headphones and when i bought the a40s the change was insane, i was so happy i spent the extra money and bought them, but now i am here again...last year i spent $2000 on my car stereo and this year i wish i could spend $2000 on my computer audio but i've got like $500-600 to spend on audio so thats what im looking for.

Once you go above $300, headphones start getting weirdly inconvenient. You start facing several frustrating problems:

- Headphone DAC/AMP combo required. The world of headphones amps and DACs is confusing, expensive and full of snake oil. 

- Heavy. Some audiophile headphones like the Hifiman HE-400 are quite heavy. And that could put a strain on your neck while you game. It's just not comfortable. 

- Fragile. Most headphones are made out of plastic for a reason. Plastic is light and sturdy. 

- High expectations. When you spend a huge sum of money on headphones, you expect to be blown away. That's frequently not the case (especially with dynamic driver headphones). 

- Differences in sound between brands and models. You could end up disappointed with your purchase, due to a lack of bass or too much treble. This will probably start an "audiophile" journey where you'll purchase several headphones until you find the "right one". 

As someone said, you won't play better with $1500 headphones compared to $150 ones. I would prioritize comfort above everything else. 

Please go to an audio store and sample different headphones.

Internet advice is just hype. Ultimately, you'll be using the headphones the most. So buy something you enjoy. You have to find out what that is. 

went with d10 and liquid spark with a pair of hifiman xxs...ended up having to buy a new mic, which i got a blue yeti...and i can't get mic monitoring/side tone to work with it and its killing me.