PSU Switch Sound When PC Turned On/Off

ShadowRanger
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
3 minutes ago, ShadowRanger said:

The best way to describe it is like a switch inside the power supply switching on/off accordingly.

It's the sound of a relay switching when you shut down the system. It's normal, they all do it. My RM750x makes the same noise when I shut down the system as well.

So I just got a new replacement Corsair RM 650x power supply which seems to be working completely fine, apart from this strange sound I am noticing when turning the PC on or shutting it down. The best way to describe it is like a switch inside the power supply switching on/off accordingly. I am not touching the actual power supply switch, so I am not sure what this is. Could someone please clarify for me whether this is normal or not?

I have attached a couple of videos of the sound when turning on the PC and turning it off. In the on clip, the first sound is just the button on the PC to turn it on. The second sound in the clip is the one from the power supply.

I remember someone saying that the old rm and the new rm are totally different internally.  It used to be high on the tier list but it isnt anymore.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I remember someone saying that the old rm and the new rm are totally different internally.  It used to be high on the tier list but it isnt anymore.

I can confirm that I definitely did notice a completely different internal with the older one I had. This may be the reason for the new sound I have noticed. Was just hoping I could get some clarification on it, perhaps someone else has a similar model.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They're all Tier A though :

As for OP problem I summon @LukeSavenije :) 

3 minutes ago, ShadowRanger said:

The best way to describe it is like a switch inside the power supply switching on/off accordingly.

It's the sound of a relay switching when you shut down the system. It's normal, they all do it. My RM750x makes the same noise when I shut down the system as well.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

12 minutes ago, ShadowRanger said:

So I just got a new replacement Corsair RM 650x power supply which seems to be working completely fine, apart from this strange sound I am noticing when turning the PC on or shutting it down. The best way to describe it is like a switch inside the power supply switching on/off accordingly. 

Because it's literally a switch inside the PSU.  It's a relay.

Seriously?  You're that paranoid?

Welcome to the world of buying a quality PSU.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Okay, that's relieving. I didn't notice it on the older version of the power supply I had, so I got a bit worried. Thank you.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Because it's literally a switch inside the PSU.  It's a relay.

Seriously?  You're that paranoid?

Welcome to the world of buying a quality PSU.

Thank you for clarifying, has given me a strong sense of relief. And yes, I get very paranoid about this sort of stuff. I am diagnosed with OCD so that is probably why.

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

oh... no need for me here, spotty and jon are on point. and my gx will happily click with them

You're too late :P 

1 hour ago, ShadowRanger said:

Okay, that's relieving. I didn't notice it on the older version of the power supply I had, so I got a bit worried. Thank you.

Thank you for clarifying, has given me a strong sense of relief. And yes, I get very paranoid about this sort of stuff. I am diagnosed with OCD so that is probably why.

My Corsair RMx clicks too, so let's get paranoid together :)

Tag or quote me so i see your reply