Which AMD Ryzen is suitable?

Raevyn

Hello,

So I have been viewing various youtubes, including Linus obviously lol, on making my own NAS at home. It seems fairly simple but the one thing that is a bit new to me is ZFS. I keep reading it is resource intensive and needs decent hardware, but I am having a hard time determining what that actually means in terms of appropriate hardware.

I am definitely wanting to go AMD. I was thinking of a Ryzen 3900x but I am worried that is going to be a complete overkill. Would Ryzen 7 3800X or even 3700X perform the same? All of this would be going on an ASUS microATX board with the max memory it can support, 64gb of ECC.

I dont think a home server needs a lot of power. No more than half a dozen devices connecting right? Im using an intel nuc to run nextcloud for all our phones, pictures, documents. ZFS features for enterprise do ask for expensive enterprise quality hardware. I wouldn't go into that expense for a private cloud. I'd rather put my money into low power/power efficient hardware and quality drives.

I bought an old used xeon and it works great (see my signature). A 3700x is definitely overkill though.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

If your NAS is doing the bare minimum of acting as a simple network storage device then you do not need much under the hood. I'm re-purposing an old AM3 socket (pretty sure it's an Athlon of some sort in there, haven't actually checked yet) and starting off with 4GB of RAM for mine. If you have been watching the NAS videos on LTT that I have been watching then the reference is totally overkill for most simple applications. Virtualization would end up requiring more but as you step up the list of things your server can do then the hardware recommendations gets too long to list here.

Keep in mind I am building a basic home-based NAS that will not get stressed too bad. If you are talking about an enterprise-grade server then yes, the hardware requirements are technically higher than what has been mentioned here. What exactly are the requirements for your server? If you have the budget to go with a 3900X then I figure you could probably rearrange funds to better optimize other aspects of the build (the actual storage, for example).

That really depends on what you want to do with it?

If you give us more information, we might be able to point you in the right direction :)

Do you just want a local place to store and read files, watch videos etc,  so a fileserver basically?

Or do you want to have a media server that does transcoding, like plex?

Or something else, a combination of the above, and more? like a virtualized server that can do so much more?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

12 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

That really depends on what you want to do with it?

If you give us more information, we might be able to point you in the right direction :)

Do you just want a local place to store and read files, watch videos etc,  so a fileserver basically?

Or do you want to have a media server that does transcoding, like plex?

Or something else, a combination of the above, and more? like a virtualized server that can do so much more?

^This.

It might very well be that all you do is store files which would mean an Athlon 3000G is plenty. If you want software transcoding and VM's, going with a 3700X might be the best option. It all depends on the use case and your requirements. 64GB of RAM will also need a use case as it's not cheap to buy speedy ECC UDIMMs.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro