Games have same fps on low and ultra settings

Go to solution Solved by Twisted_FIEND,

Thanks guys, i figured out the problem which was kinda weird

My laptop only came with the standard HDD, so i installed nvme ssd, and more ram, my fps jumped from 70 to 220 on overwatch

I have the ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR II, CPU: i7 8750K, GPU: nvidia GTX 1060, RAM: 8 GB, screen: 144 Hz
I'm getting bad performance on most games, for example Overwatch should be at least 90 fps on ultra according to other owners of the same laptop
I'm getting only 70 on ultra AND I get also 70 on lowest settings where it should be at least 160 to 190
same thing with CS:GO
I tried everything, and the issue isn't new, the problem been happening since I bought the laptop

3 hours ago, emosun said:

have you checked any of the usages? 

ya it's pretty normal, like I said it's always been like that since I bought it
I benched the laptop using 3DMark Time Spy and got 1869, which I think is very low for the specs

I have a friend who had a gaming laptop that had wicked overheating issues that were causing stutter, is the laptop running really hot?

Sorry to be that guy but have you checked if the fps limit is turned on in your games? Also could be Vsync. I see that you have a 144hz refresh so 70 is half of that. Some games have an option to output frames at different ratios eg 1:1 being one frame each monitor refresh or 2:1 two frames per refresh and 1:2 one frame per ever two refreshes.

always try reinstalling drivers too if you are getting weird issues

7 hours ago, Sundance said:

Sorry to be that guy but have you checked if the fps limit is turned on in your games? Also could be Vsync. I see that you have a 144hz refresh so 70 is half of that. Some games have an option to output frames at different ratios eg 1:1 being one frame each monitor refresh or 2:1 two frames per refresh and 1:2 one frame per ever two refreshes.

ya of course fps limit is off and Vsync doesn't make a difference on or off, there is no option for ratio of fps I think, but it's not strictly 70 sometimes it drops to 60 or go to 80
my biggest problem is not the low fps but that it doesn't change on ultra or low, I get same fps on all graphical settings, it's like bottlenecking but I have no idea why, because it's a laptop and very famous one, and all components are compatible, I'd blame it on low ram but 8 GB is enough, 16 won't make a difference especially on these games like Overwatch and CS:GO

Just now, IsaacG said:

always try reinstalling drivers too if you are getting weird issues

tried it, nothing changed, tried with games as well, tried also installing different versions of the drivers, also the same

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 2:42 PM, Twisted_FIEND said:

tried it, nothing changed, tried with games as well, tried also installing different versions of the drivers, also the same

At this point I have as much of an idea as you do. If I were you, and I didn't have anything to important on my computer, I would try reinstalling windows. It still seems to me like this is some kind of issue with graphics related software, rather than hardware because of the consistent terrible performance. Reinstalling windows will likely get rid of whatever is causing the issues, but it is also a massive pain in the ass.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:35 PM, Twisted_FIEND said:

I have the ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR II, CPU: i7 8750K, GPU: nvidia GTX 1060, RAM: 8 GB, screen: 144 Hz
I'm getting bad performance on most games, for example Overwatch should be at least 90 fps on ultra according to other owners of the same laptop
I'm getting only 70 on ultra AND I get also 70 on lowest settings where it should be at least 160 to 190
same thing with CS:GO
I tried everything, and the issue isn't new, the problem been happening since I bought the laptop

Why didn't you RMA?  Can you still do that? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 1 month later...

My laptop only came with the standard HDD, so i installed nvme ssd, and more ram, my fps jumped from 70 to 220 on overwatch

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 12:23 AM, Twisted_FIEND said:

Awesome! Sorry for not responding, I was away for a while