Long Shot: Anyone going to watch Warren Miller?

amdorintel

I know its a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone is going to go and watch this years Warren Miller?

I used to go decades ago when it was a real deal, back in the day. There would be a mini expo at the local artistic theater with booths from Nissan, and a lot of other industry corporations flinging their wares.

I kept my eye on trying to get tickets, about every few years, but nothing really came up quickly so I thought it ended, I knew the man himself was very old and didn't do much if anything for the company, and his children were doing running it. The only show in my area was 3.5hrs away, but in the last 4-6 months someone picked up a showing and is hosting one in my city. I snapped up the tickets right away.

Its a very expensive sport to get into, especially the day rates and the half day rates are not much of a bargain at all. Some places have last hour and last 2 hour deals, but i know that one place had a great deal, it was cheap with the proceeds going to charity so i looked it up and there are about 4 or 5 for the season. i plan to make it an occasion, but havent decided whether i am going to rent gear or not. the first day is painful. the cost all adds up with day rates for a decent mountain at $125/pp, who knows what rentals are, probably another $50/pp, plus fuel, plus food. When you consider going on vacation to mexico can cheaply average $100/day/pp its hard to mentally prepare yourself for a day of cold, or a day of sand and sun.

Who or what is a Warren Miller.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Warren A. Miller (October 15, 1924 – January 24, 2018) was an American ski and snowboarding filmmaker.[1] He was the founder of Warren Miller Entertainment and produced, directed and narrated films until 1988. His published works include over 750 sports films, several books and hundreds of non-fiction articles.[2] Miller was inducted into the U.S. Ski Hall of Fame (1978), the Colorado Ski Hall of Fame (1995), and was awarded Lifetime Achievement Awards from the International Skiing History Association (2004) and the California Ski Industry Association (2008).[3]

his claim to fame

After Miller showed his skiing and surfing films to friends, with accompanying commentary, he began to receive invitations to show and narrate them at parties. In 1949, he founded Warren Miller Entertainment [WME] and began producing one feature-length ski film per year.

The films name is "Timeless" by Warren Miller, obviously his son is doing it now and he has a california accent which is a big turn off. I liked the smooth voice of Warren himself.

I just saw the film, the first half was blah but I dug the mohak guy, he was a blast from the past! I totally remember him from WM films of yore.

Most recently he hosted Truck Night in America on History channel. On that show he had funky hair, hes gotta be in his late 50s now. So he was a guest skier, the other skiers were all young bucks, a racer or two, freeriders galore. One was a slalom racer, olympics.

No big huge air, it was all pretty tame. The camera angles were alright, but they tried to make the jumps they did do look bigger then they really were.

The only outrageous ski act was a paraglider (no motor) that skied.

After the 10 minute intermission, and prize give aways, the second half of the movie begun. I walked out about 5-10 minutes into it. I could see it going in a direction of "save the whales/earth" with the guy from Honduras save the planet message. The others it was basically bios of various people, people who work in town and ski the mountains.

It was worth the $17 I paid I guess.

What I hated was the ticket said 6pm but the movie actually started at 6:30pm, so me getting there 45 minutes (at 5:15pm) early was a drag, having a total of a 1:15hr wait. We got a prime seat though! Lots of kids in the audience, the theater was packed full, I'd guess 350 seats. The usual 20 something drunks holding up the rear.

Pop was $5.15, the beers were probably $8 or $9, who knows.

me and my friends used to go every year....but the last 10 years every year it got worse and worse till about 5 years ago they completely stopped doing it in my area

1 minute ago, circeseye said:

me and my friends used to go every year....but the last 10 years every year it got worse and worse till about 5 years ago they completely stopped doing it in my area

yeah i ran across the same problem, it went from like a 3500 seat theater way back in the day, there was a large vendor area, coat check, full bar, with lots of swag. course that was back when Nissan was the primary ad revenue for wm.

now its a 350 seat place, with uncomfortable seats, in a 30 year old theater and VW is doing it. a local electric supply company sign on one side of the screen and castle mountain resorts banner ad on the other. lots more in film product placement which comes with the internet age and better advertisement agency methods.

the showing for the one i saw, tickets were only on sale for 3 or 4 months prior to showing. the listing did not even show up on wm's website until 4 months ago, i had to email the website.

$17 x 350 is $6k, plus probably another $1k in consession stand monies, however booze was served so might have been more. not sure how much it would have cost them to host it, theater costs. the hosts/mc's were not professionals, i'd say below average job. the lighting for the mini stage wasnt great at all. the theaters before showing lighting was horrible for filling out the prize form. the guy specifically mentioned to give them back their pens lol to fill out the form.

I would have been way more comfortable if I just purchased the dvd and watched it at home, but the 2019 dvd wont be out for awhile until the summer undoubtedly.

https://warrenmillergear.com/collections/all

I like this one Decades Digital Collection (16 Films on USB) Regular price $130

but would rather have the previous consecutive 15 years of films. $25 per film though :(

here is the search function for wm films in case anyone else wants to find out

https://warrenmiller.com/events/

i see las vegas is dec 3

lots in cali

2 hours ago, amdorintel said:

yeah i ran across the same problem, it went from like a 3500 seat theater way back in the day, there was a large vendor area, coat check, full bar, with lots of swag. course that was back when Nissan was the primary ad revenue for wm.

now its a 350 seat place, with uncomfortable seats, in a 30 year old theater and VW is doing it. a local electric supply company sign on one side of the screen and castle mountain resorts banner ad on the other. lots more in film product placement which comes with the internet age and better advertisement agency methods.

the showing for the one i saw, tickets were only on sale for 3 or 4 months prior to showing. the listing did not even show up on wm's website until 4 months ago, i had to email the website.

$17 x 350 is $6k, plus probably another $1k in consession stand monies, however booze was served so might have been more. not sure how much it would have cost them to host it, theater costs. the hosts/mc's were not professionals, i'd say below average job. the lighting for the mini stage wasnt great at all. the theaters before showing lighting was horrible for filling out the prize form. the guy specifically mentioned to give them back their pens lol to fill out the form.

I would have been way more comfortable if I just purchased the dvd and watched it at home, but the 2019 dvd wont be out for awhile until the summer undoubtedly.

https://warrenmillergear.com/collections/all

I like this one Decades Digital Collection (16 Films on USB) Regular price $130

but would rather have the previous consecutive 15 years of films. $25 per film though :(

here is the search function for wm films in case anyone else wants to find out

https://warrenmiller.com/events/

i see las vegas is dec 3

lots in cali

oh wow..they dont even give each person attending a free lift ticket any more to one of the near by resorts. closest showing one to me gets a buy one get one free to a resort not even near cali...wtf

2 hours ago, circeseye said:

oh wow..they dont even give each person attending a free lift ticket any more to one of the near by resorts. closest showing one to me gets a buy one get one free to a resort not even near cali...wtf

there were only about a dozen free prizes for the theater itself through the promo companies, but warren miller has separate prizes of ski trips to europe. the theater prizes were t-shirts, hoodies, free day lift tickets, a beer bag which i find hilareous because i've been busted numerous times drinking on the ski hill. other prizes were  2 for 1 and a cpl stays at a local ski resort. pretty lame over-all but it was entertaining as the two mcs, one lady and one man, asked the children to come up and draw, and they were all given small prizes. one family one of 5 inc 3 children won 2 prizes which was neat to see. its what the children will remember when they grow up and keep them in the sport, maybe even do some ski club coaching, or ski school teaching.

1 minute ago, amdorintel said:

there were only about a dozen free prizes for the theater itself through the promo companies, but warren miller has separate prizes of ski trips to europe. the theater prizes were t-shirts, hoodies, free day lift tickets, a beer bag which i find hilareous because i've been busted numerous times drinking on the ski hill. other prizes were  2 for 1 and a cpl stays at a local ski resort. pretty lame over-all but it was entertaining as the two mcs, one lady and one man, asked the children to come up and draw, and they were all given small prizes. one family one of 5 inc 3 children won 2 prizes which was neat to see. its what the children will remember when they grow up and keep them in the sport, maybe even do some ski club coaching, or ski school teaching.

thats just it the free lift ticket (closest ski resorts also weekdays only) were automatically given to each person who attended. the prizes was raffles and such. hell the lift ticket was the biggest bonus to go to the shows lol

1 minute ago, circeseye said:

thats just it the free lift ticket (closest ski resorts also weekdays only) were automatically given to each person who attended. the prizes was raffles and such. hell the lift ticket was the biggest bonus to go to the shows lol

yup that is true

the 1st day free cards have no blackouts now a days. you buy a card for $100, you get the first day free, 20% of second day and third day, free fourth day, 20% off 5 and 6th day, free 7th day.