Free Upgrade to Windows 10?

When Windows 8.1 stops receiving updates, will I get a free upgrade to Windows 10. I asked this because I had an old PC with Windows 8 and about a week later it gave me a free upgrade to Windows 8.1.

WIN10-2.jpg

Probably not? Although can't confirm your Windows 8/8.1 license doesn't 'just work' on W10.

As far as I remember the Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade never ended, but the W7/8/8.1 to W10 upgrade period lasted until 2016 or something.

EDIT: I should mention I will not rule out the possiblity of them doing another W8.1 to W10 upgrade.. But not sure.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Microsoft offered free upgrades to Windows 10 for a long time. Not anymore (I think there are still ways to get it). But if your OS is end-of-life, it is end-of-life. Microsoft doesn't have to give you anything at this point.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

Probably not? Although can't confirm your Windows 8/8.1 license doesn't 'just work' on W10.

As far as I remember the Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade never ended, but the W7/8/8.1 to W10 upgrade period lasted until 2016 or something.

EDIT: I should mention I will not rule out the possiblity of them doing another W8.1 to W10 upgrade.. But not sure.

21 minutes ago, Jplayz07 said:

When Windows 8.1 stops receiving updates, will I get a free upgrade to Windows 10. I asked this because I had an old PC with Windows 8 and about a week later it gave me a free upgrade to Windows 8.1.

WIN10-2.jpg

Actually you can still upgrade for free. Install Windows 10, enter your 8 key and it SHOULD work.

I say should because there are a few cases where it doesn't. My guess is specific OEM keys don't work but I don't know for sure if thats correct. Chances are though it will take the key and install/activate with no issues.

I'm actually running my current PC on my old 8 key, my 10 key got tied to my old system.

FTR pretty much any 7, 8 or 8.1 key will activate Windows 10 as long as it hasn't already been used to activate a previous Windows 10 install.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 minutes ago, minibois said:

but the W7/8/8.1 to W10 upgrade period lasted until 2016 or something.

If I may chime in, we (at work) just upgraded 7 Win7 Pro systems to Win10 Enterprise, and it happily accepted the existing Win7 license, without us having to do anything, so it may still be valid for you.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If I may chime in, we (at work) just upgraded 7 Win7 Pro systems to Win10 Enterprise, and it happily accepted the existing Win7 license, without us having to do anything, so it may still be valid for you.

Thanks! Does anyone know how to get a Windows 10 Install for free so I can use my 8 Key on it.

Just now, Jplayz07 said:

Thanks! Does anyone know how to get a Windows 10 Install for free so I can use my 8 Key on it.

You can simply download the USB creation tool or whatever it's called from Microsoft. Use that to install Windows, then enter your key when it asks for it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Jplayz07 said:

Download the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, insert an 8 GB Flash Drive, run the tool, select the drive and wait.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Jplayz07 said:

IT's free to download from MS directly

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.