This Should Be Easy

Csshaz3

I build a pc every decade roughly. I'm at the end of my last build as it is finally limiting my experience and not compatible with the win10 required push of late. 

I'm in TN and would like to keep this under two grand. 

I have two Msi 960gtx 4gb so although older I can upgrade gpu later as I'm sure these will suffice for now. 

I am in need of a mobo, cpu, m.2 ssd, ps, and ram. I'd like to water cool the cpu.

I'm a video editor and vr gamer.

I've been looking at the Ryzen 9 3950x for my cpu choice. That is about my only decision in stone but its sand stone so I can be persuaded against that chip with reason.

Currently I'm running a first gen i7 950 so I'd say I'd notice a MAJOR upgrade to processing with any new chip. This i7 is a tank and has kept me good for 10years so I'm looking for the same for this build. Something that will keep me competitive for the next decade.

3 minutes ago, Csshaz3 said:

I've been looking at the Ryzen 9 3950x for my cpu choice. That is about my only decision in stone but its sand stone so I can be persuaded against that chip with reason

Is video editing your profession? If time is money and this new CPU is important to your job, then it's a good pick. However, if you only edit video as a hobby, consider dropping to a Ryzen 9 3900X or Ryzen 7 3700X. They'll still provide amazing game performance.

As for motherboard, the X570 Prime P comes to mind as a budget option, but there's always the X570 TUF or Aorus Pro.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It is only a hobby. I just bought my gf a cannon t6i and so there will be alot more video needing to be edited. I probably do a video a month currently. 

So maybe a less expensive yet huge upgrade chip with the same socket so I can upgrade to a 12 or 16 core later?

He has the right idea here. While the 3950x will be a powerhouse without the powerful price tag, you don't need that many cores right now. There are games taking advantage of more cores, but you should probably take the money you save from not geting the 3950x and just add it to your gpu fund. 

Ok call me crazy but the x58 is here to stay one more year. By then hopefully pcie 4 cards and mobo will be more affordable and the ryzen 9 will drop some.

I've invested 200$ into my old build after finding out the samsung 950 pro m.2 ssd has legacy boot support. So one pcie 3.0 4x adapter + one samsung 950 pro ssd + used xeon x5690 6 core 12mb cache cpu + 16gb (2x8gb) 1866 ddr3 corsair ram

All that for less than 200$ and it will be replacing 12gb (6x2gb) ddr3 1600 ocz ram, i7 950 quad core 8mb cpu, and then upgrading from ocz 60gb sata ssd for boot.

I've already pulled the trigger on this but if this pc runs my vive pretty decently now I can only imagine this will be just a little better.

Please comment your opinions