Thoughts on Spherical Reservoir?

Pretty much all the water cooling reservoirs I've seen are either plastic/glass tubes or fit in a drive bay. What do you guys think about a spherical reservoir? I imagine a 3" glass sphere reservoir would give a pretty neat aesthetic and function equally as well. Also that pearly colored fluid some people use in their rigs would probably swirl nicely due to the shape of the sphere.

I did some google searches and it seems OCool had a prototype of something similar made this year.   It looks very wild and RGB.  In my opinion a simple glass sphere would look a lot better.

So what are your thoughts on a sphere reservoir? Would it work aesthetically and function equally? 

I think they look great, but would likely be hard to place in some cases due to the space likely required compared to a standard tube reservoir. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

A sphere has the smallest surface-to-volume ratio, so a sphere would be better at keeping the heat in, i.e. harder to cool the liquid inside of it.

~edit: I realize the reservoir is not the radiator, so surface area is probably not really relevant. In any case, it might be harder to mount.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

A sphere has the smallest surface-to-volume ratio, so a sphere would be better at keeping the heat in, i.e. harder to cool the liquid inside of it.

While technically true, it really doesn't matter. The cooling performance of a reservoir is close to zero either way

Just now, Yebi said:

While technically true, it really doesn't matter. The cooling performance of a reservoir is close to zero either way

Yes, just updated my post... don't know why I thought that mattered.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I was thinking space might be a concern. I just did some math and measurements just to see what it would be like. A glass sphere that is 3"(7.62cm) in diameter has a volume of 7.83 ounces. For reference a Red Bull can is 8 ounces. That should be enough fluid more most peoples rigs.

These are the measurements on my own rig (x99 deluxe, stock 1080ti  and all ram slots full.)  There is 3.25" distance starting from the top of the ram to top of the GPU.  The 3" sphere would not stick out past the GPU and you would have .25" of gap between the RAM and reservoir.  All should be good in terms of fitment unless you have abnormally tall ram. 

Living in a cannabis legal state I would think it would be fairly easy to find a glass blower to make this for under $50. The only issue I see is that the glass blower could only make it work for compression fittings or glass on glass style fittings. I have a mill so I would probably cut and shape a piece of acetyl to mate to the glass. That way I could drill and tap the Acetyl for the standard G1/4"

Nothing out right wrong with have a sphere. Its just space in the 'usual' case design may be an issue, as well as mounting.

I remember seeing a build where som1 reused a Glass skull bottle/decanter from a alcohol drink. Looked badass. Not exactly sphere, but most certainly not the usual tube or bay res :P

The decanters cost less than $50, some careful cutting/drilling with glass cutting drill bits and modding easily turns them into suitable reservoirs.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

You might have a bit of trouble getting a g1/4 to seal correctly against a surface that is not flat but a bit of being clever and you can get around this. If you are going to have this made see if they will add a flat on the top and bottom for fittings to seal against, or leave a larger hole you can silicon a pre drilled and tapped bit of Acrylic to?