Keyboard Dreams... (Leopold color layouts)

One night while searching for a decent listing of my favorite IBM keyboard, the KB-8923, I started to look for a more compact layout and something newer... This led me to what I learned is called "TenKeyLess," (TKL for short) or 87-key models. I knew they existed, I just didn't know of many, and rarely see them out in the wild.  Like many, I've long grown tired of those excessive keys on the side taking up extra space on an often poorly designed panel. During the search, I came across one that had the cleanest, most appealing design of all; the Leopold FC-750R.

Although I don't care for the use of the obsolete mini-USB port, I'm very interested in the replaceable keycaps with modern Cherry-MX switches-- and the surprisingly durable under-structure.

So at this point I know what I want, but I can't exactly get it 100% right because of how parts are marketed...

I narrowed it down to 2 color schemes of the FC-750 that definitely have my attention; Graphite Blue (or Sky Dolch... whatever that is...) and Ash Yellow.

As you can see, the blue one is visually appealing, but I absolutely HATE that ugly brown for the main keys.  Call me picky all you want, but I think everyone can agree that any shade close to cerakote utterly clashes with the beauty of the outer area and simply does not work with this black and blue theme. I mean, blue is great, but the brown doesn't fit on anything other than retro-themed layouts.

Next, the Ash Yellow is stunning; the sharp color contrast gets the attention of all who see it and really "jumps out" in terms of visibility-- I swear, I could see this is a pitch black room with no backlight and no screen-- it's that kind of bright yellow. To be clear, there are very few cases wherein yellow is an acceptable color for anything, much less a keyboard. The problem here is that it's too stunning; bright yellow works on the space gray keys, in fact they even compliment each other; but yellow on black is generally too pronounced.  From an enthusiast standpoint, I feel almost blinded by the yellow-on-black outer keys. But the soft gray keys provide that mild semi-retro appeal (keyboards from the early to mid 2000's) and with solid yellow legends to offer added visibility.

860006765_LeopoldFC750R(GraphiteBlue).thumb.png.0e35bdd39d969361b91ae588f7d138ed.png

482873596_LeopoldFC750R(AshYellow).thumb.jpg.3e87003aa720bc0b847e6df6b9814c93.jpg

Here's my dilemma: both cost $119 USD, and only come as complete assemblies. I've tried an failed to locate individual keycaps or sets of them in the schemes seen here, after looking at several known sites that sell key cap sets.

I want the first model shown, but I need to replace all the brown keycaps with the gray ones shown on the second layout. And yes, I'm keeping the legends as they are, so the layout I desire here is Ash Yellow for the primary keys (and applicable F- keys) and Black/Sky Blue for all secondary/outer keys.

Just short of defaulting to my original favorite, I could go for broke and get both layouts, configure the one I'll keep the way I want it, and then either resell the second unit with the inverted layout, or keep it for parts or as a spare. But, that's super expensive. A single legacy KB costs enough as it is, so how would I justify ordering 2 of this exotic new one?

What should I do?  Maybe wait 'til I can afford both? Or just go with the old one I already know and love?

And DO NOT tell me to contact one of those keycap makers to order custom caps. That still costs more, and communication of any kind other than F2F always gets me nowhere with companies. Believe me, I've tried that.  And PLEASE leave out the lousy "you could 3D print them" comments!

UPDATE: Found a site where you can "build your own keyboard" with their cleverly made web design, and managed to get a general image of what my idea looks like:

2035414850_WASDTKLcustom87-key.thumb.jpg.947a39da55cd9e2bc0a4a87b8694a354.jpg

I know, not as cool as one might think, right?  Upon realizing how ridiculous the color scheme would be, I set my idea to the side in favor of something similar and better.

Then, I came across this odd listing for the FC750R-PS (instead of PD) which seems to be particularly favored in Korea, but with a couple units available in the U.S for the slightly higher price of $180 (likely for extra import charges).  Not my absolute favorite, but I think it will be once I get used to having that metallic gray style on my desk again. (I had an SK-1510 for a long time with an OEM gray layout, and it was the first model I called a favorite)  This is the only reasonable quality image I can find of the PS model aside from a handful of YouTube videos...

1155403851_LeopoldFC750RPS(Blue-Metal).thumb.jpg.7b53b7cf2cb576fe9b4681431fa62080.jpg

21 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Buy both, mix the caps, resell the one your don't want.

That's what I might go for. But I still have to build up my funds first. And I still have other priorities to consider even then.

BTW, any idea where I can get custom Windows Key caps? I hate the Windows 8/10 flag, and the legacy 9x design just isn't doing it for me anymore. I need a special key for this model with the Windows XP flag (common start key but without the hideous orb around it). I found pretty much the exact key I want somewhere, but I want just the set of 2 Windows keys. I can get almost any other key easily enough, but no one seems to have a decent listing for one that isn't a solid color.

11 hours ago, Phas3L0ck said:

've tried an failed to locate individual keycaps or sets of them in the schemes seen here, after looking at several known sites that sell key cap sets.

11 hours ago, Phas3L0ck said:

I want the first model shown, but I need to replace all the brown keycaps with the gray ones shown on the second layout. And yes, I'm keeping the legends as they are, so the layout I desire here is Ash Yellow for the primary keys (and applicable F- keys) and Black/Sky Blue for all secondary/outer keys.

Try looking on Mech Market for GMK Pulse, Gmk Sky Dolch, Gmk Modern Dolch, GMK/JTK Yolch, those should be similar to what you are looking for. But aftermarket Gmk caps are quite expensive and can reach 200+ USD. 

On 11/17/2019 at 8:45 AM, b emoji said:

Try looking on Mech Market for GMK Pulse, Gmk Sky Dolch, Gmk Modern Dolch, GMK/JTK Yolch, those should be similar to what you are looking for. But aftermarket Gmk caps are quite expensive and can reach 200+ USD. 

One question; what exactly is "Yolch"?

8 hours ago, Phas3L0ck said:

One question; what exactly is "Yolch"?

Dolch is a colourway based on a old Dolch Cherry G80-1813 keyboard and it looks like this GMK - Dolch -  - KEYSETS - Originative - 1

Yolch just refers to Yellow on Dolch 
Image result for jtk yolch

• 3 weeks later...

That doesn't look like "dolch" to me. But I still like the yellow on gray theme.

However, since I can't seem to find a reasonable replacement for the black keys, I've decided to go in a different direction.

I found a model called FC750R-PS (not PD) that has a nice and neat dark-metal design. See the end of my main post for the updated details.