Correct placement of 2 memory DIMMs on Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master.

Hello! 
I own a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master (rev. 1.0) motherboard. 
I have 2 DDR4-2666 memory modules of 16GB each (no XMP enabled).
I inserted my memory modules in slots: 1+3 (A1+B1). 
Everything works great! 
Recently I’ve been taught that the correct placement of 2 memory modules is into slots: 2+4 (A2+B2) because of some signal reflections or so...

My question is this: Is there any truth to that?
And if so, why does my mobo manual say nothing about it?

-Moved to CPU, Motherboards and Memory-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

The manual says to use either A1/B1 or A2/B2 if both are recommended by the manufacturer I cannot imagine a big performance increase by simply using the other channels. I say your safe using either, usually the ones furthest away from the socket are used first, that would be A2/B2.

image.png.f6924ad743cac3007c8271fb4e51e25c.png

5 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

The manual says to use either A1/B1 or A2/B2 if both are recommended by the manufacturer I cannot imagine a big performance increase by simply using the other channels. I say your safe using either, usually the ones furthest away from the socket are used first, that would be A2/B2.

image.png.f6924ad743cac3007c8271fb4e51e25c.png

So, with other words you also say that A2+B2 is preferred over A1+B1?

Should I move my DIMMs in that order?

Unless the manufacturer specify channels to use then yes. In this case both look to work fine. You can confirm 100% with Gigabyte support but most likely the answer would be the same. Since both are allowed they should both work just fine. A2/B2 is is on top if you could that as an order but I don't think it will give u "extra" performance. I usually try to use the farther away slots as it allows more clearance for tower coolers if you have ram with large heat-spreaders. 

9 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

Unless the manufacturer specify channels to use then yes. In this case both look to work fine. You can confirm 100% with Gigabyte support but most likely the answer would be the same. Since both are allowed they should both work just fine. A2/B2 is is on top if you could that as an order but I don't think it will give u "extra" performance. I usually try to use the farther away slots as it allows more clearance for tower coolers if you have ram with large heat-spreaders. 

Yeah! 

Your answer is pretty much what I also believed before: 

that both configurations (A1+B1) or (A2+B2) are the same thing. 

But some insist that A2+B2 is “the correct position”.

Anyway, if I’m moving my DIMMs according to their advise, I can’t go wrong, right?

So, I moved my DIMMs from slots 1+3 (A1+B1) to slots 2+4 (A2+B2). 

I benchmarked my PC using: 

Geekbench 4.3.3, Cinebench R15, Cinebench R20, FutureMark MemTest, CPU-Z 1.9, and Windows 10 rating command “winsat formal” in Command Prompt. 

AND THE RESULT IS...

THE SAME! 

No gain and no loss in performance. 

3 hours ago, NDRE said:

So, I moved my DIMMs from slots 1+3 (A1+B1) to slots 2+4 (A2+B2). 

I benchmarked my PC using: 

Geekbench 4.3.3, Cinebench R15, Cinebench R20, FutureMark MemTest, CPU-Z 1.9, and Windows 10 rating command “winsat formal” in Command Prompt. 

AND THE RESULT IS...

THE SAME! 

No gain and no loss in performance. 

Why would there a be a gain or loss of performance?  That would never happen anyway.

The only issue is if you would have stability problems or be able to overclock the RAM/timings to a higher limit in A2/B2 vs A1/B1, and no one here touched that topic, like 3200->3866 max barely stable A2/B2 versus 3200-3600 max barely stable A1/B1.  Considering how Klingon Pain Sticks is funner than multi-day RAM stability testing, I doubt anyone here has even bothered testing such a thing.

That being said I think only daisy chain boards would benefit from different bank positions when using two dimms.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:26 PM, Falkentyne said:

Why would there a be a gain or loss of performance?  That would never happen anyway.

The only issue is if you would have stability problems or be able to overclock the RAM/timings to a higher limit in A2/B2 vs A1/B1, and no one here touched that topic, like 3200->3866 max barely stable A2/B2 versus 3200-3600 max barely stable A1/B1.  Considering how Klingon Pain Sticks is funner than multi-day RAM stability testing, I doubt anyone here has even bothered testing such a thing.

That being said I think only daisy chain boards would benefit from different bank positions when using two dimms.

Well, in my case, I can’t talk about instability or overclock, because my modules are plug-n-play types @2666MT/s.