(Gaming laptop + PS5 Console) or (Expensive Gaming Laptop) on a tight budget

I have a budget of about 2000-2200 USD (approx. INR 1,50,000).

I think these are my 2 best options. Please let me know if anyone can think of anything else.

1. Buy low/mid tier gaming laptop like Lenovo y540 (1660Ti) / ASUS TUF FX505DV (RTX 2060) AND Buy Playstation 5 when it comes out next year

OR

2. Buy a laptop with RTX 2070 and use up all my budget.

What would you guys suggest?

My profile: I am not much into online multiplayer games like CS:GO, Overwatch, Fortnite, etc. I will occasionally engage into multiplayer gaming in AAA titles. I use gaming as a way to decompress and relax. I am little bit of a sucker for fps and high fidelity.

Depends, for single-player games PC is nearly always the way to go, however if your friends have console then you may want to consider buying the PS5. For myself, I would go for the more expensive laptop as all my friends play PC so AAA multiplayer games are much better on PC for me. You also stated you like high fps as well as high fidelity, that should be reason enough to go for the laptop with the 2070.

do you have friends that you play games with?

if they plan on getting a ps5, get that.

If they play on PC, get a better laptop.

if you dont play with friends, it's entirely up to you. Playsation generally have some of the best exclusives which you would miss out on, plus the entire back catalog of ps4 games, but PC games are generally cheaper at base price and steam regularly has big sales., but since you would still have a good gaming machine, you still have access to this as well

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

laptops start to grow old quite fast and won't last as long as desktops.

so just remember if you NEED a laptop.

i'm in the (kind of) the same situation where i really want a laptop for school but i already have an expensive setup at home.

so if i actually wanted one i would have to get a cheap one with integrated graphics since it would otherwise be a waste.

TLDR.

Do you actually NEED a laptop because otherwise a desktop would be better in the long run.

and get one with a 1660Super instead.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, flashiling said:

laptops start to grow old quite fast and won't last as long as desktops.

well that's a lie, unless you're specifically referring to the ability to upgrade a desktop. But generally when you get to the point of needing to upgrade a desktop with anything meaningful, you have to replace pretty much the entire thing anyway.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Actually option 1 covers for not missing out on PS5 exclusives. I really loved games like God of War and Last of Us.

And I was hoping that PS5 will make up for fps and fidelity. I have read rumors that we can expect all PS5 games to be 60fps or more with fairly good graphics. Mid tier laptop is for light productivity and PC exclusives.

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

But generally when you get to the point of needing to upgrade a desktop with anything meaningful, you have to replace pretty much the entire thing anyway.

That's simply a lie, you're telling me if I want to upgrade my GPU I need a new CPU, motherboard oh and 2 new hard-drives as well? When it come to upgrading a desktop you can upgrade in increments, not everyone will buy a 2080 when they are using a r3 1200.

5 minutes ago, flashiling said:

so just remember if you NEED a laptop.

I am a working individual, traveling every few months and might have to entirely move every couple of years.

I understand desktop is my best bet but it seems to much of a hassle to own a desktop.

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

well that's a lie, unless you're specifically referring to the ability to upgrade a desktop. But generally when you get to the point of needing to upgrade a desktop with anything meaningful, you have to replace pretty much the entire thing anyway.

i mean. i've had a gaming laptop that costed me 1900$ after 2 ½ years of good care it started to detioriate heavily.

i could see the difference in fps in most games go down and thermals started to get troublesome.

i belive that i also just got unlucky with the manifacturer i choose but i'm not the only one who says this.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Just now, flashiling said:

i mean. i've had a gaming laptop that costed me 1900$ after 2 ½ years of good care it started to detioriate heavily.

i could see the difference in fps in most games go down and thermals started to get troublesome.

i belive that i also just got unlucky with the manifacturer i choose but i'm not the only one who says this.

idk about you guys but my predator is still kicking ass

2 minutes ago, SVSar said:

I am a working individual, traveling every few months and might have to entirely move every couple of years.

if this is the case then it seems like a good idea to get a laptop.

but are you also using it for things like business meetings?

because then a "gamer" laptop might not be the most professional looking laptop.

if that's the case you can maybe buy a razer x core and a gpu and a laptop without a gpu that looks slick but with a good screen.

that way when you're at home you can plug in your desired gpu and use it's preformance on your laptop and still have a "professional" looking laptop

Just now, ZeouLs said:

idk about you guys but my predator is still kicking ass

age and specs? :)

12 minutes ago, flashiling said:

age and specs? :)

Helios 300, came out like summer 2017, 7700HQ and 1060. Last year got a Helios 500 on release with a 8750h and 1070.

1 minute ago, ZeouLs said:

Helios 300, came out like summer 2017, 7700HQ and 1060. Last year got a Helios 500 on release with a 8750h and 1070.

so you have 2 laptops??

Just now, flashiling said:

so you have 2 laptops??

I had, gave the helios 300 to my little brother. Wouldnt make any sense to get another helios just after one year

true.

mine did work untill i swapped it (exactly one year ago todayy ?) but two years ago the keyboard stopped working properly (and would get hot enough to make my fingers hurt from the warmth after long playsessions) so i ended up putting a razer black widow on the part with my mousepad and turned off the mousepad.

but it also started to get the fan sickness, which means that at a certain age the laptop starts to have cooling issues for some reason and my fans start spinning at max rp to keep the temps at 85° C

which in turn made my exams a little akward since it sounded like a vaccum cleaner and i had to explain to my teatcher that i would open a program to control the fan speed on my pc and it wasn't a program that could be used to cheat, and if i couldn't open it the other students would be too distracted by my vaccum cleaner.

Considering how frequently I play and utility, I change my laptop every 4 years or so.

Can I expect RTX 2070 Laptop to give me better performance or equivalent than PS5 for next 4 years?

How badly do you think RTX 2060/GTX 1660Ti will age in comparison?

54 minutes ago, supanova214 said:

That's simply a lie, you're telling me if I want to upgrade my GPU I need a new CPU, motherboard oh and 2 new hard-drives as well? When it come to upgrading a desktop you can upgrade in increments, not everyone will buy a 2080 when they are using a r3 1200.

Are you upgrading your gpu and cpu every generation? or do you wait a few generations when there will likely be a new chipset needed for the latest cpus (therefore a new motherboard required) and depending on how long you wait, the next DDR# is required or you need a different frequency to get the most out of it. maybe even a new PSU if you're on a budget and got the absolute minimum wattage

laptops can have storage added/replaced, or use external drives

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, SVSar said:

I understand desktop is my best bet but it seems to much of a hassle to own a desktop.

With your budget you can make a very lightweight small volume computer

For example Silverstone Raven is only 3 kg and accepts 2 slot video cards : https://www.newegg.com/black-silverstone-raven-mini-itx/p/N82E16811163289

Put a 450-650w SFX power supply an ITX motherboard , a Ryzen 3600 cpu for example,  and a 2 slot video card like a RX 5700XT or a 2060 Super and you get a system that fits within 6-7 kilos and can be carries in a backpack or in your case if you travel a lot.

It will take more volume esp if you also carry keyboard with you (but there's laptop style keyboards and mice, thin and lightweight)

For monitor, you usually have some kind of TV where you end up, so a simple HDMI cable would be enough.

The above case is 12 liters in volume, there's others which are even smaller, which still accept big (not necessarily long but thick 2 slot) video cards... there's companies making single fan itx style video cards if the card has to be small length to fit into these cases.

here's some results from Youtube (in no particular order)

11 hours ago, SVSar said:

Considering how frequently I play and utility, I change my laptop every 4 years or so.

Can I expect RTX 2070 Laptop to give me better performance or equivalent than PS5 for next 4 years?

How badly do you think RTX 2060/GTX 1660Ti will age in comparison?

11 hours ago, SVSar said:

Actually option 1 covers for not missing out on PS5 exclusives. I really loved games like God of War and Last of Us.

And I was hoping that PS5 will make up for fps and fidelity. I have read rumors that we can expect all PS5 games to be 60fps or more with fairly good graphics. Mid tier laptop is for light productivity and PC exclusives.

Anyone would like to comment on these opinions?