Ryzen - can't OC ram to the advertised speed

Hey, everyone!

Just upgraded my PC to a Ryzen platform and I've ran into some troubles - I'm not able to run my ram kit to the advertised speed.

First of all, I an't no techy person, but I know my way around basic things.

So, to start it all, here's the component list:

Ryzen R5 3600

AsRock B450M Pro4

TeamGroup Tforce Delta 3200Mhz kit (8x2 sticks) DDR4 - the bastards that I can't figure out

GTX 1060 6GB

bequiet 600W PSU

At stock and no XMP enabled, my ram stay at 2133MHz speed. With XMP 2.0 enabled from the bios, it doesn't go past 2400MHz.

Tried to manually set it to all the available speeds within the 2133-3200 range.

Notes:

- the kit runs at 1.2V stock, didn't try to mess with it as I don't have the knowledge of what I'm doing

- Bios version is latest, P3.60

So, my question is - how do I make this kit to run at the respective advertised speed? or at least 3000MHz

Much appreciated!

3 minutes ago, LVXVRIANT said:

Hey, everyone!

Just upgraded my PC to a Ryzen platform and I've ran into some troubles - I'm not able to run my ram kit to the advertised speed.

First of all, I an't no techy person, but I know my way around basic things.

So, to start it all, here's the component list:

Ryzen R5 3600

AsRock B450M Pro4

TeamGroup Tforce Delta 3200Mhz kit (8x2 sticks) DDR4 - the bastards that I can't figure out

GTX 1060 6GB

bequiet 600W PSU

At stock and no XMP enabled, my ram stay at 2133MHz speed. With XMP 2.0 enabled from the bios, it doesn't go past 2400MHz.

Tried to manually set it to all the available speeds within the 2133-3200 range.

Notes:

- the kit runs at 1.2V stock, didn't try to mess with it as I don't have the knowledge of what I'm doing

- Bios version is latest, P3.60

So, my question is - how do I make this kit to run at the respective advertised speed? or at least 3000MHz

Much appreciated!

Have exactly the same board as you and had the same problem. Managed to solve it by manually changing the dram voltage to 1.4v

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

Have exactly the same board as you and had the same problem. Managed to solve it by manually changing the dram voltage to 1.4v

Is that even safe? I mean, on the stick itself it says 1.35, but I looked through the bios setting and past 1.3 it goes red and back off. Haven't tried moving it past 1.2 as I said.

can anyone else advise if this is safe or not? kinda scarred to mess around with voltages!

1 minute ago, LVXVRIANT said:

Is that even safe? I mean, on the stick itself it says 1.35, but I looked through the bios setting and past 1.3 it goes red and back off. Haven't tried moving it past 1.2 as I said.

can anyone else advise if this is safe or not? kinda scarred to mess around with voltages!

It's safe,I used to run at 1.5v for years with no problems.

If you are concerned than you can do 1.45 just fine.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

8 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Memory compability is mostly dependent on the motherboard,

From the boards i have Gigabyte boards handle memory very well,

I have 3466MHz CL16 1.35v and no problems.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

7 minutes ago, LVXVRIANT said:

i would try with 2933 MHz and then manually push the voltage up from 1.3 (to max 1.5) until it's stable. once stable, try to push the frequency up again and see where it becomes unstable again. you should be able to get to 3200 with 1.4V or 1.45, but if you think it's too much, 2933 should work with 1.35

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

i would try with 2933 MHz and then manually push the voltage up from 1.3 (to max 1.5) until it's stable. once stable, try to push the frequency up again and see where it becomes unstable again. you should be able to get to 3200 with 1.4V or 1.45, but if you think it's too much, 2933 should work with 1.35

Imma try that. wish me luck!

I am running an MSI B450-A PRO with RAM that is at 2933 though rated for 3000 and the voltage has settled at 1.35 V. there are no issues with this. BTW my R5 1600 CPU runs very smooth at 3.5 GHZ.                                                                

well, just tried the following:

2933 - 1.3V

2933 - 1.35V

2933 - 1.4V

3200 - 1.4V

Nothing worked. it always boots back to 2400MHZ.

XMP 2.0 is on, otherwise it wouldn't let me mess with the things.

am I missing something?

I'm changing just two values - DRAM frequency and DRAM voltage

2 hours ago, LVXVRIANT said:

well, just tried the following:

2933 - 1.3V

2933 - 1.35V

2933 - 1.4V

3200 - 1.4V

Nothing worked. it always boots back to 2400MHZ.

XMP 2.0 is on, otherwise it wouldn't let me mess with the things.

am I missing something?

I'm changing just two values - DRAM frequency and DRAM voltage

Can try to up the soc voltage to 1.025

21 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Can you tell me what's that and where to find it, please?

24 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Oh and another question if I may - do I increase soc voltage alongside setting the ram freq to a higher one as well as having to dram voltage increased? Say like 1.4?

Bios updates?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

OH MY FREAKING GOD! I can't believe I've done it! I managed to get them to work at 3200 speed! And you want to know how? By a freaking miracle and fear!

Why fear? Because with all the changes I've made in the bios, I got scared and wanted to go set all to default, so maybe something won't mess up after a while.

Then I wen't and just switched XMP on once more. Because.. why not? Did a reboot and BAM! There is it!

This might sound cheesy, but I'm glad I've watched Linus since NCIX days otherwise I would've have tried asking for help here!

Thank you all for trying to help me out and thanks for this community!

Much appreciated!

3 hours ago, LVXVRIANT said:

OH MY FREAKING GOD! I can't believe I've done it! I managed to get them to work at 3200 speed! And you want to know how? By a freaking miracle and fear!

Why fear? Because with all the changes I've made in the bios, I got scared and wanted to go set all to default, so maybe something won't mess up after a while.

Then I wen't and just switched XMP on once more. Because.. why not? Did a reboot and BAM! There is it!

This might sound cheesy, but I'm glad I've watched Linus since NCIX days otherwise I would've have tried asking for help here!

Thank you all for trying to help me out and thanks for this community!

Much appreciated!

Happy it worked out for you in the end