pins on cpu vs motherboard

I haven't been able to find a decent answer. So why do AMD cpu's have the pins on the cpu, and why does intel put theirs on the motherboard? Just manufacturing techniques? Or does either one have an advantage/disadvantage?

Intel had pins on their CPUs too not so long ago, I think the mainly changed to putting pins on the mobo to decrease rma rates in their CPUs because of bent pins
, however mobo manufactures weren't too happy about that because now they have to worry about bent pins

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

Yep, just the way they do it. Up until LGA 775 hit, Intel used pins. Intel CPU's are more durable, since there aren't any pins on them. However, AMD sockets are tougher since there are no pins in them.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Pins on the CPU are better for the motherboard manufacturers, pins in the socket are better for the cpu manufacturer 

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Intel essentially said "Screw you guys" to the motherboard manufacturers. AMD so far has shown it's pretty classy about it and just left the pins on the CPU so it's their problem rather than the motherboard manufacturers. 

//CCap

//ccap

I feel like intel wasn't completely wrong in saying "screw you" to mobo manufacturers because pins on the socket are a lot safer than ones on a cpu..

Hmm that makes sense about the durability and such. Really sucks for the mobo manufactures lol. Intel gave them the shaft.

I feel like intel wasn't completely wrong in saying "screw you" to mobo manufacturers because pins on the socket are a lot safer than ones on a cpu..

Good point. In all fairness though, intel can really do whatever they want with their 120 Billion Dollars. 

//ccap

Yep, just the way they do it. Up until LGA 775 hit, Intel used pins. Intel CPU's are more durable, since there aren't any pins on them. However, AMD sockets are tougher since there are no pins in them.

AMD mobos are tanks :D

Good point. In all fairness though, intel can really do whatever they want with their 120 Billion Dollars.

No kidding, if the manufactures denied it, intel could just say ok we will use our own mobos..then the manufactures would instantly be out over 50% of their business.

When I was younger, I bent many P4 pins. (They were old CPUs, I was just testing them.)

When I got a Core 2 Duo board I managed to bend the pins on the motherboard. (I don't even remember touching them..)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

No kidding, if the manufactures denied it, intel could just say ok we will use our own mobos..then the manufactures would instantly be out over 50% of their business.

Which sort of proves the point Intel isn't always a jerk (for lack of a better forum friendly term) about the way they operate their company. If they really wanted to, they could manufacture their own motherboards, and see a 10% to 50% increase in their overall company size. Anyways, I'm getting off topic here more than I should. Long story short Intel does what they want, and this is how they want to do it, end of story. 

//CCap

//ccap

Not too sure about that CCap. I don't know very much at all about this, but I imagine Intel recognises that Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, MSI, etc make better motherboards than they can. I wouldn't buy an Intel CPU and then have to buy an Intel motherboard, I think I would just make the switch to AMD so long as I could buy a nice motherboard from one of the above companies. I doubt that Intel was simply being nice by not screwing Asus and the rest over, it was probably more a case of that decision screwing over everyone including themselves.

To save money, I presume. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Which sort of proves the point Intel isn't always a jerk (for lack of a better forum friendly term) about the way they operate their company. If they really wanted to, they could manufacture their own motherboards, and see a 10% to 50% increase in their overall company size. Anyways, I'm getting off topic here more than I should. Long story short Intel does what they want, and this is how they want to do it, end of story. //CCap

They do manufacture their own motherboards, they're damn good too.

They do manufacture they're own motherboards, they're damn good too.

*did

They don't do desktop motherboards anymore, (stopped recently)

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I haven't been able to find a decent answer. So why do AMD cpu's have the pins on the cpu, and why does intel put theirs on the motherboard? Just manufacturing techniques? Or does either one have an advantage/disadvantage?

I don't really think there is any disadvantage. I guess one would be generally CPUs cost more than motherboards to replace so if you bend pins on an AMD CPU it costs more to replace (although most AMD CPUs are cheap anyway) than bending pins on an Intel board.

Which sort of proves the point Intel isn't always a jerk (for lack of a better forum friendly term) about the way they operate their company. If they really wanted to, they could manufacture their own motherboards, and see a 10% to 50% increase in their overall company size. Anyways, I'm getting off topic here more than I should. Long story short Intel does what they want, and this is how they want to do it, end of story. 

//CCap

They do manufacture their own mobos (well, I know they used to. Not sure about now). Some were the green OEM ones, others were really badass gaming ones.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I prefer pins on the Cpu because it keeps a point of failure off of the motherboard.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I`ve got a intel cpu lying arround with pins on it

post-53144-0-71418200-1391813533_thumb.j

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG