Upgrade now?

Hello there,

I am asking myself if now is the right time tu upgrade my rig. My CPU (I5 3570k) is getting dated, and my MB is showing its age by having SATA ports not working anymore. Considering performance, I could still wait. The last big movie editing project is done (although it was pretty anoying, as timeline performance, even at 1080p was quite bad), and I don't have the next one on the horizont yet.

If I upgrade now, I would have about 400€ to spend. My choice would be a ryzen 5 3600.

The question is: should I upgrade now, or wait for the next gen of CPUs to arrive?

I do a bit of gaming, mostly KSP, with some PUBG and CSGO. I think the games would benefit from the new CPU, but I can play them acceptable fashion on my rig right now, so there is no hassle.

BTW, I have a GTX970 in my rig, and I game in 1080p 60hz.

Thanks for your advice :)

Wait till black friday/cyber monday and find the best/newest cpu/mobo combo deal in your budget? Don't forget ram cost but remember a 4-8gig stick for a few months isn't the worst and if you sell your old rig or parts you can increase budget or perhaps trade for parts.

I think the upgrade is a solid plan, though I would wait until you have to upgrade or find a good deal. Unless you are impatient like me who did that upgrade today from a Xeon 1231-v3 because I just couldn't wait ?.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

well, I vote for you to start watching prices and upgrade, but I'm prejudiced because I just upgraded from an i5-2500k to a ryzen 3700x.  That said, I probably would have put it off a little bit longer but my system started randomly rebooting and showing signs of instability. So I moved my plans forward. I'm actually not sure when the "next generation" of cpu's will arrive, but the 3700x should keep me going for another 6 yrs with maybe just a gpu update. (My 2500k went 8 yrs!)