Netgear Nighthawk 2300 issues

Tristan n

Hey, 

I have accidentally enabled AP mode on our Router. This has resulted in the router bricking itself, however, you can see the WiFi but it doesn't allow you to connect. 

I have tried to connect through an Ethernet connection, but it still doesn't allow you to change any settings or access the Internet. 

Does anyone know a way to disable this setting without being able to connect into the router's settings?

Thanks 

Tristan 

3 minutes ago, Tristan n said:

Does anyone know a way to disable this setting without being able to connect into the router's settings?

Just reset the router's settings. In most routers, you do that by holding down the reset-button for 10-15 seconds while it's powered on, after which it'll reboot and clear all of its settings, but check your router's manual first.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

AP mode means it works as an AP endpoint (i.e. no routing, etc.).  Unless you can login to the web interface (or shell if available) of the device and fix it, you'll probably have to reset it.   There may be a control on the front as well to change the mode...though I've never seen one.

Best bet would likely be get the manual for that model and read how to change it back, or how to reset it.

EDIT: if you read this prior to my edit and thought I was unobservant, you are correct.  I didn't remember you had the model in the topic even when I was writing a response to your original post.

Manual link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000P/R7000P_UM_EN.pdf

You can reset the Nighthawk, or you could try a static IP on your computer in the same likely /24 range as the router was using as AP mode will probably not disable the on-board wired connections. Ex. configure your computer for 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0 as the default on-board will be 192.168.1.1 most likely.  Unless, you know, you're not using the default range.

Factory settings are in the manual as well if you choose to reset (page 153).

1 hour ago, PineyCreek said:

1 hour ago, PineyCreek said:

AP mode means it works as an AP endpoint (i.e. no routing, etc.).  Unless you can login to the web interface (or shell if available) of the device and fix it, you'll probably have to reset it.   There may be a control on the front as well to change the mode...though I've never seen one.

Best bet would likely be get the manual for that model and read how to change it back, or how to reset it.

EDIT: if you read this prior to my edit and thought I was unobservant, you are correct.  I didn't remember you had the model in the topic even when I was writing a response to your original post.

Manual link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000P/R7000P_UM_EN.pdf

You can reset the Nighthawk, or you could try a static IP on your computer in the same likely /24 range as the router was using as AP mode will probably not disable the on-board wired connections. Ex. configure your computer for 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0 as the default on-board will be 192.168.1.1 most likely.  Unless, you know, you're not using the default range.

Factory settings are in the manual as well if you choose to reset (page 153).

hey, thanks for the reply. I think that if I link another router to the current one, I can access its settings, I have already tried to reset the router, it doesn’t change anything.