HDMI split in 2 different signals HDMI 2.0 and HDMI 1.4 simultaneously?

W0RqR0

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution for a problem i'm facing.

At this moment i'm using an AV receiver(click here to see the AV) that is a bit old and only supports HDMI 1.4.

I want to have that Av hooked up to my Laptop but problem is that i have a 4K 60 FPS monitor that uses the only available HDMI port. I want to have the HDMI audio go through or to the AV receiver because only then can i make use of the 5.1 audio from it. At the moment i'm using an spdif cable but that only supports dual speakers PCM, which kinda sucks when I got a 5.1 speaker setup.

So i thought of something like this. image.thumb.png.9bf86688ed040705cc8e2a9a2027f92b.png

But i cannot find any information about if i can downscale a HDMI 2.0 signal to HDMI 1.4, or if i can have a HDMI signal with only audio or something. Or lastly if there is a splitter that can output in multiple different formats at the same time.

If there anyone that knows, or has experience with something like this please let me know.

Thank you all!

Edited by W0RqR0

5 minutes ago, W0RqR0 said:

But i cannot find any information about if i can downscale a HDMI 2.0 signal to HDMI 1.4

In theory, HDMI is designed to be backwards compatible, so connecting the HDMI 2.0 source to the 1.4 endpoint should be fine.

What monitor do you have? Also, is the switch in the diagram a network switch? Or KVM switch? Or something else?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

Do you have DisplayPort on your current monitor?

You could connect your monitor using DisplayPort cable and connect HDMI cable to receiver as a second monitor. Not sure if the receiver is detected as monitor, or you actually need to have a monitor (for pass through purposes) so that the video card will send signal through hdmi.  

If it doesn't work without an extra monitor, a monitor with HDMI is 50-60$  ... will often be cheaper than a splitter or some fancy gadget ... and you have the added bonus of having a 2nd monitor for when you're playing or whatever (watch a youtube movie, or discord chat, whatever)

Here's an example: https://www.newegg.com/acer-um-wx0aa-004-21-5-full-hd/p/0JC-000P-00AZ5?Item=9SIACA1AAU2906

Thanks for the reply

1 minute ago, The1Dickens said:

In theory, HDMI is designed to be backwards compatible, so connecting the HDMI 2.0 source to the 1.4 endpoint should be fine.

Well yes, but this is not exactly what i want to achieve i think. Because what i'm trying to achieve here is to take a HDMI 2.0 signal and split it to one output with HDMI 2.0, and the other to HDMI 1.4.

3 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

What monitor do you have? Also, is the switch in the diagram a network switch? Or KVM switch? Or something else?

Monitor: aoc-u2777pqu-zwart

The switch is just a regular HDMI 2.0 switch

Thanks for the reply.

16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Do you have DisplayPort on your current monitor?

You could connect your monitor using DisplayPort cable and connect HDMI cable to receiver as a second monitor. Not sure if the receiver is detected as monitor, or you actually need to have a monitor (for pass through purposes) so that the video card will send signal through hdmi.  

If it doesn't work without an extra monitor, a 14-17" monitor with HDMI is 50-60$  ... will often be cheaper than a splitter or some fancy gadget ... and you have the added bonus of having a 2nd monitor for when you're playing or whatever (watch a youtube movie, or discord chat, whatever)

Here's an example: https://www.newegg.com/acer-um-wx0aa-004-21-5-full-hd/p/0JC-000P-00AZ5?Item=9SIACA1AAU2906

Yes it does have a display port in, but unfortunately that port is already occupied on my laptop, I do a TB3 dock connected that has an additional Displayport so that runs through the CPU but i rather not have a 3th monitor connected since I've no place for it in my setup right now.

You might be wondering, but what about just plugging it in using a display port to HDMI dongle. Well i tried this in the past, but it was pretty unpracticle because when i did that windows did detect it as a monitor and occasionally something would launch on the screen that was actually the AV receiver.

The Av receiver is detected as a monitor with no way of turning that off.

This is my current setup, AV receiver is behind the chair

qqq4so9lwmGnKM95oxdfBRPHbLzGcS-JeCbZbduTG7QWNjO3ux-roVuKwpRrunJbRvck_WYDeTwVzq7Goxj9m_U60B8aoz1CSqgEnitBa65VxgOIZDXJviSaZkbUzyFaDvcAs7oqEB8FQgim8hVC2KrTHcl8D0ibyRafbt2aT_8n_IO_4lwTtkWBCQ3nAlwa2_1DRGh8Z0iEbrNq7Y7XLxO1QI8vrO099PG69kGbJUoBaDHRD95wnylGZjBPc_FtltXC_MyTJPvv49ek2s5VpD0CFewXvoCq-Zh2_KvfZig3s2y24izyUWax6_IiNbZeJwfw6FZPunszQoj4cYDyAsqsTQstvJ-sO1Ye1a9stL9suLJV5KoKX9WVfF8mjus-bHNLWfaiChMeRIo-kMMZGpcpSopGt5E3fd6s5ULG9wyJOtQEiE3546pUo5gbDT-rvrYawn2VWYuFridb2REi-8WXjkNE4AI09uMXVuMynnzYaYS6rgj06f6j0gJnXLEfhOK_uCH_GJMI0eva6cz7V5GoufsTbxggzsiDPaLJA0pNaL1xYiLTCEcCiZ6Qhd4agoLNfhq1DfzIGiS-6bs3u2pLTgywvC8tcphOE9K9S5c1W7TZGnYUtTtd1MIY4PqLdZJpNXYaKe27Le4k8IR3x4YBcdcu4H-Szjx-Va1b7gh3_ByAbtZTOvc=w625-h834-no

Keh0xxm5EmLB1EyqdAyq9fVh-__WfTGz44e1w1xHqFc_PxoaOmvetbRjrqBDqLaUPYjB20shX0puFuVp1oT1QIQRdQvCoz-sFNejOF6FlS9AcRqyJDvyUfR_SHoZwUKNt6-EkT_OetrhnKkmobc4w7mOqVBE6agET2P0dm926MxEAWb0nur3DK462hXCsDPhGJWn5kFg9DSYOG8LlE0zRwSru_hu6PUfq1jYBf4bHt73kfhSduB_vtY8ZG5vSZwnAc9gwZV3uo0xh8newlWwJ8eifsUQ4s7wLZdb_Xg313TUH90xIP2hVV0-dlmD9mOuqEbryb9VdHdIMJyqvjsb8zS-FNzO6zF-M2camy3ct83ISevBSsHlYL_bjvdo1Kofg5PpItcKc7Hr85papYik4SoATh1tfANkT8FkaAj2rUxcsFdiHlNLc8ECmuRHfEh1HjFZGnumVLfL6vDlToDn7lAy6n9a5H_pOtwkppRT3cP7Yx_Jz24b44LYvkqpkb8eySzgqOzEQe5jN3EDvt4A_f5_yN06JLE3FkWG7t-AoNlOOsLEnA-MYYGxemby7Gc65cykowuhabofh7FJ_5_gnWfJAyQJO405iGbWQWwLdMy8TkuWJzyYqqEfgWxepz-4eYHfTYdCvbc_ClXPVX0m45-WrVS3jJHTtQriijt1-k-KYqnfzX-9gu4=w625-h469-no

2 hours ago, W0RqR0 said:

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution for a problem i'm facing.

At this moment i'm using an AV receiver(click here to see the AV) that is a bit old and only supports HDMI 1.4.

I want to have that Av hooked up to my Laptop but problem is that i have a 4K 60 FPS monitor that uses the only available HDMI port. I want to have the HDMI audio go through or to the AV receiver because only then can i make use of the 5.1 audio from it. At the moment i'm using an spdif cable but that only supports dual speakers PCM, which kinda sucks when I got a 5.1 speaker setup.

So i thought of something like this. image.thumb.png.9bf86688ed040705cc8e2a9a2027f92b.png

But i cannot find any information about if i can downscale a HDMI 2.0 signal to HDMI 1.4, or if i can have a HDMI signal with only audio or something. Or lastly if there is a splitter that can output in multiple different formats at the same time.

If there anyone that knows, or has experience with something like this please let me know.

Thank you all!

This will not work, assuming it works at all, it would output a 1.4 signal and you'd get 4Kp24 on the 4K monitor. That would be the same effect as just putting the 4K monitor on the AV Receiver and a lot more reliable. I've done the "switch and splitter to a monitor" bit before, and it does not work.

What you should be doing here is attaching the 4K monitor to the PC on HDMI output 1, and use a different hookup to the AV receiver (eg optical) which supports 5.1. If you're not getting 5.1 audio, it's because you're not outputting 5.1 audio.

The problem really is what you're trying to do.

If you had a 4K "TV" there would be an HDMI or S/PDIF output for Audio output that you could plug into the Reciever, and then just plug the Computer and Chromecast into the TV. Or you could get a smartTV to begin with and not even need the Chromecast.

You're basically trying to solve a problem that only exists because you're trying to use a "Monitor" instead of a TV. Do you have 5.1/5.2/6.1/7.1 speakers? Because you can get ProLogic on just stereo input, but Dolby Digital and above stuff requires a digital input. Connecting HDMI to it alone probably doesn't work with a computer unless the computer runs that output in Clone mode.

Another option would be to get a sound card with digital output (toslink, coaxial) because your receiver has two of each of those.

Problem is finding one that supports 5.1 on Mac... Windows is easy.

For example this startech one at 29$ claims it can do 5.1 only on Windows - maybe it's a driver thing.

There's this creative 60$ card that's more fancy, but no Mac drivers. Forum people say they got 5.1 output working but the volume control doesn't work, the device stays at 100% unless you use soundflower (app) as a  filter.