Home Minecraft Server

Java620

Hi Guys! 

After watching Linus's video on his Minecraft server, I've been inspired to make my own! Sadly, I have no experience on how to build, then setup and run this server. I want to run a bunch of mods, and at most maybe 6 people on, but that's very rare. If you guys could give me some good parts, and also some videos or info on how to set it up then run it, that would be amazing. Thanks so Much!!!

I've set up a minecraft server a few times with like max 3 people on at once and with a few mods.

Do you have any specific budget?

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Why can't you just use a computer you already have...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Id say under 300 for a budget. I plan on big mod packs, like RLcraft, or 1.7.10 pack, and I want them to run well.

2 minutes ago, Java620 said:

Id say under 300 for a budget. I plan on big mod packs, like RLcraft, or 1.7.10 pack, and I want them to run well.

Then you'll be better off spending that $300 to upgrade a current computer, because a $300 computer will not run any server well, even vanilla.

PS- use the quote button.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I feel like you'd get the most for your money if you look for a used prebuilt PC on ebay with a decent processor, This search might be a good starting point. You won't need a graphics card and you should aim for like 8-12GB of RAM, and an SSD might be a good addition to help with load times for all those mods.

If you want to build the whole pc yourself that might be a bit more difficult, and you'll definitely want to look at used hardware.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

32 minutes ago, Java620 said:

Hi Guys! 

After watching Linus's video on his Minecraft server, I've been inspired to make my own! Sadly, I have no experience on how to build, then setup and run this server. I want to run a bunch of mods, and at most maybe 6 people on, but that's very rare. If you guys could give me some good parts, and also some videos or info on how to set it up then run it, that would be amazing. Thanks so Much!!!

You're best off grabbing an old Intel 4th gen Dell Optiplex and giving it a face lift. The Media Server build in my signature, which runs Ubuntu Server 18.04, works wonders for running a small (2-6 players) modded/vanilla MC server. Cost me around $98.37 to upgrade and got the system for free from a hardware recycling center.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

If you want to run RLcraft "well" then you need a good computer t host it from if not just order a hosting plan from someone.  RLcraft is by far one of the most resource heavy packs I have seen.  I work with a hosting provider and we have had to alter the pack in our repository multiple times to fix issues the developer has not.  Although the Dev is putting in good work, or at least was, there are still issues with the pack and I would not even recommend having over 4 people on it at once.

Just a little insight from myself, I am by no means saying it cant be done just some of my thoughts and experience in the matter.  Best of luck to you.