Power supply

FreelanceNewbie

Hey guys. My power supply stopped working, well that's what I think because when I turned on my desktop it just comes on for like 5 secs, you hear the fans spinning and then it shuts down....rinse and repeat. I don't know 100% if it's the power supply but that seems like it to me. You guys can correct me if I am wrong. Anyways I am deciding to buy a new one but want to make sure it's compatible. 

This is the one currently in the picture and also  with the connectors. Its marked as switching power supply....so I am not sure its that's specific and what to replace it with. Any help and advise appreciated.

20191026_133009.jpg

20191104_174221.jpg

20191104_174229.jpg

3 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

That’s proprietary to something. Optiplex 9010?

I think I took it out of a Lenovo case. Actually put together parts from 3 desktops to make one. 

12 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

That’s not a standard power supply, so you’re either going to need an adapter meant for the motherboard to use an atx psu with it, or you will need a direct replacement.

Okay so been doing some checking. Buying a psu with 24 pin or so and then using a 24 to 10 pin adapter can work?

6 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

If it’s for the specific motherboard, yes. That 10 pin can be a variety of different 10 pins depending on the system. 
Make sure it’s advertised for the motherboard you’re using, or for the system the motherboard came from. Potentially look up pinout diagrams to make sure it all matches.

Then you can just use any normal psu. For an average system that was presumably powered off of this 180w psu, pick up a Corsair CX450m on the high end of entry level psus, or a vs450 on the low end. Both are ok but the cxm is better.

Okay thanks. I got a better idea now of what I am doing and what to look for. Also....was my diagnosis of the problem correct or could it be something else causing that problem?

Just now, Genwyn said:

It’s most likely the psu if it’s turning on and the shutting itself down. A motherboard failure would be my second guess but in that case it would usually stay on, the board wouldn’t turn the pc back off, you would just be left with a black screen and no POST.

Okay. Thanks for the help. Appreciated ?

The PSU is very non standard. Look at the output. It's only 12V and -12V. 

Try troubleshooting the rest of the system before trying to replace the PSU. 

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

The PSU is very non standard. Look at the output. It's only 12V and -12V. 

Try troubleshooting the rest of the system before trying to replace the PSU. 

The system can't turned on without the psi, so I can't reset or troubleshoot

2 minutes ago, FreelanceNewbie said:

The system can't turned on without the psi, so I can't reset or troubleshoot

Check with a single stick of RAM at a time, if it has an iGPU you can take the GPU, disconnect HDDs, etc. 

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Check with a single stick of RAM at a time, if it has an iGPU you can take the GPU, disconnect HDDs, etc. 

I understand what you're saying. Will run the test before buying a new psu. Thanks 

On 11/4/2019 at 8:42 PM, seon123 said:

Just came back to say thank you. I did as you said and turns out one of the ram was causing the problem. Thanks for your input, or i might just have wasted 50 bucks. 

On 11/4/2019 at 4:07 PM, FreelanceNewbie said:

I think I took it out of a Lenovo case. Actually put together parts from 3 desktops to make one. 

What's the motherboard?  Also Lenovo?

This is for their "PIO" form factor PCs made for Internet gaming cafes in China.  If you're trying to hobble something together with one of these Lenovo boards, cases and power supplies, stop now.  It's a dark rabbit hole.

On 11/4/2019 at 4:03 PM, Genwyn said:

That’s proprietary to something. Optiplex 9010?

Lenovo's pin out is different than Dell and HPs, but still has the same number of pins.

Using the same adapter does not work.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

What's the motherboard?  Also Lenovo?

This is for their "PIO" form factor PCs made for Internet gaming cafes in China.  If you're trying to hobble something together with one of these Lenovo boards, cases and power supplies, stop now.  It's a dark rabbit hole.

:v. its what i got for now. plan on building a better one later. I dont plan on using this one permanent, just as a stand in 

1 hour ago, FreelanceNewbie said:

:v. its what i got for now. plan on building a better one later. I dont plan on using this one permanent, just as a stand in 

Then what's the point?  You're going to get rid of everything in the near future only to replace it?

You have something that's obsolete that isn't working.

That's like you convincing me to replace the motor mounts on a Hyundai Elantra with 200K miles if I plan to replace it in six months.

Are you typically this bad with your finances?