Aftermarket VRM cooling - Aorus B450M Ryzen 2700

Jenshiye
Go to solution Solved by Gorgon,
On 11/4/2019 at 3:29 AM, Jenshiye said:

In my case it would be lm-sensors and that isn't picking up this board (so I am flying blind).

Sorry for necro'ing this thread but I just had the VRM on my Aorus b450m DS3H fail catastrophically. I was running a Compute workload on all cores on a stock 2700x and it did take several months for the VRM to melt down even with no over-clock and a Hyper 212

FYI - to get lm-sensors working under Linux for any Gigabyte (and a lot of others) you will need an updated it87 package for lm-sensors to get the kernel driver working. You can find one that works here so you can monitor the sensors. PM me if you have trouble getting the /etc/sensors.d/ .conf file working

Summary thus far:

1) Taking VRM thermal precautions
2) Setting V Core to 1.3V

3) You can set Clock ration to 41 (4.1GHz)

-----------------------------------

Original Post

-----------------------------------

Hi all,

I made the mistake of getting an Aorus B450 M. Thus far, I have the Ryzen 7 2700 on 1.3V clocked at 3.9GHz. The BIOS brings up a warning message every time you increase the voltage over 1.204V.

I have already built the PC, it has an AIO cooling it and I am looking for an easy band-aid to slap on in order to at least reach the stock expected turbo speed of 4.1GHz.

Is there such thing as a VRM heat sink?

What fan(s) would you recommend?

Attachment methods of those fans?

Thanks in advance o7

Edit: A previous thread about this board is here.

Ryzen responds best to CPU voltages (or VCore) of around 1.35-1.37V. Higher voltages up to 1.45V are possible but require exotic cooling solutions and may shorten the life of your processor, and we don't recommend them for anyone reading this guide. Keep temperature below 80-85C.

From here

zjEQ6Lk.png

Gigabyte-B450-Aorus-Pro-KitGuru-Review-F

i am fairly certain that  there is voltage offset. and the warning is about CPU degredation, and not the VRM. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

i am fairly certain that  there is voltage offset. and the warning is about CPU degredation, and not the VRM. 

From what I have been seeing Asus and Asrock have better VRMs.

I know that I can put more juice into the CPU safely, I am concerned that in doing so, I will cook the VRMs.

2 minutes ago, Jenshiye said:

From what I have been seeing Asus and Asrock have better VRMs.

what boards? B450m Auros M is among the better sub 80$ boards. brands dont use the same VRM across the board.

3 minutes ago, Jenshiye said:

I am concerned that in doing so, I will cook the VRMs.

just have hwinfo64 open and let it log temps, as long as the VRM doesnt go above 100*C you are fine. 

if it gets too hot, just point a fan at the heatsink

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

just have hwinfo64 open and let it log temps...

if it gets too hot, just point a fan at the heatsink

In my case it would be lm-sensors and that isn't picking up this board (so I am flying blind).

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

58 minutes ago, Jenshiye said:

ah, id just get a 90mm fan or something similar, and just point it towards the VRM heatsink, no need to change out th heatsink as a simple fan works wonders. 

4 hours ago, williamcll said:

How do you attach them?

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

ah, id just get a 90mm fan or something similar, and just point it towards the VRM heatsink, no need to change out th heatsink as a simple fan works wonders. 

Any particular brackets that would be good for stability and directing air flow?

9 minutes ago, Jenshiye said:

Any particular brackets that would be good for stability and directing air flow?

sadly couldnt find any bracket for holding it. 

zip ties, tape or hot glue is likely to be fine. ive done some jank VRM cooling solutions using epoxy. and it holds on sturdy. 

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

sadly couldnt find any bracket for holding it. 

zip ties, tape or hot glue is likely to be fine. ive done some jank VRM cooling solutions using epoxy. and it holds on sturdy. 

Just had a thought. If I reverse my AIO fans, so that they are pulling air top down into the case and thus potentially blowing (cooler?) air across the VRM, think that would be sufficient?

1 minute ago, Jenshiye said:

Just had a thought. If I reverse my AIO fans, so that they are pulling air top down into the case and thus potentially blowing (cooler?) air across the VRM, think that would be sufficient?

thats likely to be sufficient. its also likely that the airflow from the negative pressure of the fan is enough. 

VRM tests are done without airflow, as such the heatsink cant do its job. and the Auros M does have an ok heatsink (compared to the garbage some boards have)

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

thats likely to be sufficient. its also likely that the airflow from the negative pressure of the fan is enough. 

VRM tests are done without airflow, as such the heatsink cant do its job. and the Auros M does have an ok heatsink (compared to the garbage some boards have)

I am now at 4.1GHz, which is okay, I have that already with this 5820K that has 4 less threads.
The BIOS won't let me set the voltage higher than 1.3V, which means that unless I play with boot straps, I am very close to the ceiling. It definitely would not boot at 4.2GHz

Related material but this is for a 2700X.

Edit: Going to run some stress tests now and see if it conks out. Hold my cocktail! ;) 

The BIOS won't let me set the voltage higher than 1.3V

um....... are you certain you are doing stuff in Bios correctly?

even the most crappy board lets you put voltage higher than 1.3V. 

what voltage does it use during load? 

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

um....... are you certain you are doing stuff in Bios correctly?

even the most crappy board lets you put voltage higher than 1.3V. 

what voltage does it use during load? 

This same screen CPU Vcore 

how_to_overclock_using_gigabyte_am4_moth

I can select Auto, Normal or -0.3 to +0.3 (which then displays as 1.30000V)

It also seems weird to be "over-clocking" a machine to achieve stock speeds.

Edit: Unigine-Valley, the fans are going ballistic, I guess temperatures are rising but still flying blind. ?
Edit2: It is starting to smell "hot," I should probably stop the test now ... morbid curiosity is whispering, "Won't know if you give up now."

9 minutes ago, Jenshiye said:

can select Auto, Normal or -0.3 to +0.3 (which then displays as 1.30000V)

under normal, cant you give more V-core?

would perhaps look at updating the Bios, uncertain if Gigabyte brought the changes to the Bios to B450, they might have. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

under normal, cant you give more V-core?

would perhaps look at updating the Bios, uncertain if Gigabyte brought the changes to the Bios to B450, they might have. 

If I select normal, it won't let me set a Voltage figure.

I am on BIOS F41.
F42 offers the following:

1. Update AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA
  2. Improve Destiny 2 gaming compatibility
  3. PCIe Gen4 disabled when using a 3rd Gen Ryzen (Matisse) CPU due to AGESA change

If I select normal, it won't let me set a Voltage figure.

I am on BIOS F41.
F42 offers the following:

1. Update AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA
  2. Improve Destiny 2 gaming compatibility
  3. PCIe Gen4 disabled when using a 3rd Gen Ryzen (Matisse) CPU due to AGESA change

would look at updating to that Bios to see if you get any more options. i knew Gigabyte Bios was wierd, didnt know it was that wierd. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

would look at updating to that Bios to see if you get any more options. i knew Gigabyte Bios was wierd, didnt know it was that wierd. 

Are they UK based? Protecting the user from themselves, it would explain a lot. :P 

Just now, Jenshiye said:

Are they UK based? Protecting the user from themselves, it would explain a lot. :P 

ive got no cluea where they are based, but they do own the most cancerous RGB software. that may get you banned for cheating. because its that bad. 

their boards are good tho, same with their new Bios. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

their boards are good tho, same with their new Bios. 

I picked this board because I have previously found Gigabyte boards to be very reliable as part of work terminals.

(Personal experience of MSI boards has been atrocious, including a PCIe slot that came out with a graphics card)

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got it up to 4.1GHz with +0.3V

Ran some Unigine tests, all looked good, was doing nothing exciting and it crashed.

Gave up for a few weeks.

Have just loaded the F50 BIOS, again having to "over clock" to try and reach stock speeds. Waiting on test results now.

Seems to be stable now. 

4.1GHz, XMP profile 2, stopped at their warning voltage.

Turned it on today, no changes between last post and now, it starts loading the operating system and when it switches from VGA to 3D ... it dies.

FML

• 11 months later...
On 11/4/2019 at 3:29 AM, Jenshiye said:

Sorry for necro'ing this thread but I just had the VRM on my Aorus b450m DS3H fail catastrophically. I was running a Compute workload on all cores on a stock 2700x and it did take several months for the VRM to melt down even with no over-clock and a Hyper 212

FYI - to get lm-sensors working under Linux for any Gigabyte (and a lot of others) you will need an updated it87 package for lm-sensors to get the kernel driver working. You can find one that works here so you can monitor the sensors. PM me if you have trouble getting the /etc/sensors.d/ .conf file working

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m