Using a charger from another country

Veer_213

Hello. I'm not sure if this belongs here but I'm planning to buy an iPhone and it would be cheaper for me to buy it from the US compared to NZ but US has a 110v system I believe whereas NZ has the same as my country's (220-240v). I am curious as to the effects on my phone or the charger if I use a charger meant for a 110v system on 240v system. Can someone please help me? Thanks.

if you use 110v charger in a 220-240v country you will burn that out. If you use 220v charger in a 110v country it will work at half the amperage.  Make sure whatever thing you are going to plug in to wall has a rating that within that countries voltage output. Some chargers are rated to work at 110v and 220v.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Most chargers are rated 100 - 240 iirc. So there's no difference. Just the pins might be different, in which case you'd have to use an adapter.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

25 minutes ago, Veer_213 said:

Hello. I'm not sure if this belongs here but I'm planning to buy an iPhone and it would be cheaper for me to buy it from the US compared to NZ but US has a 110v system I believe whereas NZ has the same as my country's (220-240v). I am curious as to the effects on my phone or the charger if I use a charger meant for a 110v system on 240v system. Can someone please help me? Thanks.

The charger doesn't matter. It's just a USB "charger" , you can get aftermarket or official Apple chargers domestically. It will have no bearing on the phone.

Take a close look:

https://www.apple.com/nz/shop/product/MR2A2X/A/30w-usb-c-power-adapter?fnode=97

MR2A2_GEO_NZ?wid=1144&hei=1144&fmt=jpeg&

See that cut-out? You can pull that off the US charger and swap in a NZ one.

@Kisai lol, that’s the charger you get in the US?

here in Europe we just get this tiny thing as a plug ? (And no, you can’t change the prongs)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

The adapters will tell you right on them the voltage range they are rated for, albeit in very tiny print. Many are 'global' and will work 100-220v AC. Those marked as such will just need a physical adapter to plug in to your local socket.

Of course, the part of the charger that plugs into the wall, in (at least) the case of an iPhone with a factory charger, is completely moot - because it is a separate 'brick' and cord. The cord is just a USB A to Lightning cord, so you can just use a local power compatible brick from wall socket power to USB A, since USB A will be a standard voltage globally. Be sure the amperage/wattage rating is at least as much as the factory charger. One shows amps vs the other showing watts? Here:

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Amp_to_Watt_Calculator.html

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Watt_to_Amp_Calculator.html

I did say 'at least' BTW, because many if not most cell phones come with such 2 piece chargers. Reason for this is the 'brick' is the only item that needs to be different in phones packaged for any given location in the world.

54 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

@Kisai lol, that’s the charger you get in the US?

here in Europe we just get this tiny thing as a plug ? (And no, you can’t change the prongs)

Actually that's the charger that I got with my iPad (though the model I linked is the NZ model), basically you can just pop the end off and it's a standard IEC 60320 C1 or C7 connector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

200px-IEC_60320_C1.svg.png

200px-IEC_60320_C7.svg.png

So you can quite literately put anything with that end on it, there's likely a dozen different electronics that might already have one.

Like on that page, actually shows that same adapter (middle):

400px-Apple_and_generic_C7_connectors.jp

If you buy a newer iPad, you get the USB-C one, you actually get a smaller cube style with the non-folding prongs for US.

MU7T2_GEO_CA?wid=890&hei=890&fmt=jpeg&ql

Incidentally, anything with a USB-C to mains ends up looking the same. If you look at the compatiblity list, it will show the the iPhone 8 and later, yet none of these come with lightning to usb-c cables (pay 25$ more for that).

The ones the iPhone actually come with are these 5 Watt ones:

MD810?wid=1144&hei=1144&fmt=jpeg&qlt=80&

I believe that once Apple moves everything to USB-C, (probably won't happen with the Macbook Pro's since USB-c tops out at 90 watts and a 15" laptop with any dedicated GPU requires at least 130w) they may just sell one two models, one for iPhone/iPad and one PD model for laptops.

@Kisai

The one we get here in Europe ??

598B5CFE-A8B5-41A5-92D0-303D529CE233.jpeg

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD