Put movies on my iphone ?

zindan

How do I put movies on my iphone? Like do I have to convert it to a mp4 file first? That takes very long also btw. How can it be done easier?

You can use something like VLC or a similar alternative to play different formats.

I don't use IOS but I am under the impression that you have to use iTunes to actually transfer the files.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/transfer-files-with-your-computer-iphf2d851b9/ios

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can tell you if there is an alternative.

Just now, Kawaii Koneko said:

You can use something like VLC or a similar alternative to play different formats.

I don't use IOS but I am under the impression that you have to use iTunes to actually transfer the files.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/transfer-files-with-your-computer-iphf2d851b9/ios

I am using itunes and vlc won't work. According to this website: image.png.9bec2e86577bf25738e931cd7b3e7f87.png

https://itstillworks.com/put-movies-onto-iphone-mac-7165.html

10 minutes ago, zindan said:

I am using itunes and vlc won't work. According to this website: image.png.9bec2e86577bf25738e931cd7b3e7f87.png

https://itstillworks.com/put-movies-onto-iphone-mac-7165.html

VLC is available on the App Store and touts being able to play most formats so I'm thinking that restriction must be for using the built-in player?

What does iTunes tell you when you try to move over something other than the three listed formats? Does it error out? 

Sorry, like I said, I don't use IOS but I do know that once you get the media files on your device, VLC will play them. I'm just not sure on the best method of getting them on the device. If iTunes won't work, I bet there is a method to transfer over a network or if you had to, you could always upload it (to something private) and download it to the device.

The easiest way that I know of is using Hulu, Prime, or Netflix. They have an option to download and watch movies and TV shows later if you're offline. Alternatively you can use this guide for watching from your own library. 

iOS is not known for functionality. It will fight you to do even the simplest thing such as downloading and watching a movie offline. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I heard there was a ritual that could be performed only during the night of the Winter Solstice.  Something about candles made with the blood of Steve Jobs?  I don't know all the details.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Put your movies on a flash drive and hook up the flash drive to your iPhone and copy them to the On My iPhone folder. You'll need the USB 3.0 Adapter first:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/mk0w2am/a/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

You can get one on eBay for much cheaper. 

The other way is to add your movies to iTunes by dragging them into iTunes and labeling them as Movies in their properties (not Home Videos) and syncing them manually. They will need to be an h.264 M4A or MP4 file for the files to work. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Put your movies on a flash drive and hook up the flash drive to your iPhone and copy them to the On My iPhone folder. You'll need the USB 3.0 Adapter first:

Sounds like the best solution. I actually didn't think IOS even supported it given some of the other restrictions we are dealing with here. Good to know though.

3 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Sounds like the best solution. I actually didn't think IOS even supported it given some of the other restrictions we are dealing with here. Good to know though.

It's a new feature for iPhone and iPad. It was just introduced in iOS 13. Until now it was not possible to interface with external storage in this way before. There was no read/write permissions for anything other than importing photos into the Camera Roll. Now iOS has a downloads manager and can interface with external storage devices. 

It was a very big leap that happened all at once. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)