Motherboard/GPU/PSU Compatability

chowbaaron

Hi everyone,

I've been building my new gaming rig and PC Part Picker gave me a potential comparability error regarding my PSU choice. Can someone verify for me that these parts work together, or what I should change the PSU to if needed? If it's not needed now, what are the circumstances I might need the extra 4-pin connector later on?

The MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

4 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Unless you’re going to OC the hell out of that 3700x on liquid nitrogen you won’t need the extra 4 pin. The board will boot and power the cpu normally with just the eps 8 pin.

Just now, Plouffe said:

Everything is fine, it's a good build !

@Plouffe @Genwyn Thank you both. My friend is helping my build my PC, and insists I need this $80 more expensive PSU due to the graphics card. I'm not planning to OC (and definitely not extremely), so my main concern was the GPU. But if everything checks out, wonderful!

Just now, chowbaaron said:

@Plouffe @Genwyn Thank you both. My friend is helping my build my PC, and insists I need this $80 more expensive PSU due to the graphics card. I'm not planning to OC (and definitely not extremely), so my main concern was the GPU. But if everything checks out, wonderful!

The RM650x is plenty for your system. The RM750x (2018) has two EPS12V 4+4 connectors for CPU power if you did decide you wanted to fill the second optional 4pin power connector, but it's really not necessary. Only real world difference the 2nd cable would have would be making cable management more difficult with an extra cable. 

If it helps PCPP gives a wattage estimate for your parts, and with your list it's estimating 400W max. While PCPP isn't perfectly accurate, it's good enough for stuff like this and it's probably more accurate than your friend.

Out of curiosity what unit did your friend recommend, and why?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, chowbaaron said:

550w would be enough to be honest and if you want that 4+4 pin the RM650w (non-x) has one ;) 

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The RM650x is plenty for your system. The RM750x (2018) has two EPS12V 4+4 connectors for CPU power if you did decide you wanted to fill the second optional 4pin power connector, but it's really not necessary. Only real world difference the 2nd cable would have would be making cable management more difficult with an extra cable. 

If it helps PCPP gives a wattage estimate for your parts, and with your list it's estimating 400W max. While PCPP isn't perfectly accurate, it's good enough for stuff like this and it's probably more accurate than your friend.

Out of curiosity what unit did your friend recommend, and why?

Here's what he sent me:

you're going to want a different power supply it doesn't have a spot for the extra power it needs for that graphics card
this one should do
Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

The item wasn't linked; not sure if it's this exact one or not: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Yx4gXL/corsair-power-supply-rm650

That's the item I found putting what he sent me right into Google.

3 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

550w would be enough to be honest and if you want that 4+4 pin the RM650w (non-x) has one ;) 

Would it be worth it to lower the PSU and save a bit of money? I've heard you should take the PCPP estimate and add X% to it for potential upgrades and supposedly is more power efficient if the PSU is rated higher but running at lower wattage? Not exactly sure how that all works so I just went with a PSU I was recommended before that was over the estimated PCPP wattage.

Just now, chowbaaron said:

The item wasn't linked; not sure if it's this exact one or not: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Yx4gXL/corsair-power-supply-rm650

That's the old RM650 from 6 or 7 years ago, it has since been discontinued which is likely why the pricing for it is so weird. It should have been priced more similarly to the RMx pricing, and like $10-$20 cheaper than the RMi models.

The RM650 (old one) also only has a single EPS12V cable anyway, so I'm not sure why your friend thinks it would be better? :S

Unless he means the new RM650 with the black/grey logo? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WxL48d/corsair-rm-2019-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020194-na

The new RM650 has two EPS12V 4+4 cables, but it's also a downgrade from the RMx version. (The new RM650 is supposed to be cheaper than the RM650x, but it looks like there is currently a sale on the RM650x and Mail in Rebate which makes the RMx cheaper)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

That's the old RM650 from 6 or 7 years ago, it has since been discontinued which is likely why the pricing for it is so weird. It should have been priced more similarly to the RMx pricing, and like $10-$20 cheaper than the RMi models.

The RM650 (old one) also only has a single EPS12V cable anyway, so I'm not sure why your friend thinks it would be better? :S

Unless he means the new RM650 with the black/grey logo? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WxL48d/corsair-rm-2019-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020194-na

The new RM650 has two EPS12V 4+4 cables, but it's also a downgrade from the RMx version. (The new RM650 is supposed to be cheaper than the RM650x, but it looks like there is currently a sale on the RM650x and Mail in Rebate which makes the RMx cheaper)

I was wondering why the RM650 I linked was more expensive after reading the RMx series is a higher tier than the RM one ?

In any case, I think I'm satisfied with the build, only might think about a little lower wattage PSU if my build is ~400W instead of the 650W I chose.

2 minutes ago, chowbaaron said:

I was wondering why the RM650 I linked was more expensive after reading the RMx series is a higher tier than the RM one ?

In any case, I think I'm satisfied with the build, only might think about a little lower wattage PSU if my build is ~400W instead of the 650W I chose.

The RM550x (keeping it within the same model to keep it simple) is $10 cheaper. Either would be fine for your system, won't really make much difference either way. May as well save the $10 if you want.

Rest of the build looks good. ?

43 minutes ago, chowbaaron said:

Would it be worth it to lower the PSU and save a bit of money? I've heard you should take the PCPP estimate and add X% to it for potential upgrades and supposedly is more power efficient if the PSU is rated higher but running at lower wattage? Not exactly sure how that all works so I just went with a PSU I was recommended before that was over the estimated PCPP wattage.

What @Spotty said :)