Help deciding what to do about my motherboard

To start off I have a feeling im putting way too much energy into this lololol.. but, one of my usb 3 pins broke on my b450 tomahawk, its still in the return period so I was going to get it replaced until I saw the MAX version is going to be in stock, I know its literally the same board but with a bigger rom capacity. I think the only difference is that it supports the really old cpus and has a visual bios, I dont mind text based bios at all. Then I heard that the bigger bios size would ensure ryzen 4000 support, thats kinda important to me so I was planning on just going that route. then the b450 gaming pro carbon ac went on sale for around the same price. i think its the same vrm set just with more bells and whistles (2 m.2 slot, argb, wifi) So Im thinking about just going with that board, until I had the OCD thought that the carbon bios is already kinda maxed out they are on text based and cut the athlon chips to make room. My only concern is while I understand nobody knows the future but im hoping if i go with this board the bios wont get maxed and i wont be able to upgrade to an 8 core ryzen 4000 processor in the future...?

4 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

To start off I have a feeling im putting way too much energy into this lololol.. but, one of my usb 3 pins broke on my b450 tomahawk, its still in the return period so I was going to get it replaced until I saw the MAX version is going to be in stock, I know its literally the same board but with a bigger rom capacity. I think the only difference is that it supports the really old cpus and has a visual bios, I dont mind text based bios at all. Then I heard that the bigger bios size would ensure ryzen 4000 support, thats kinda important to me so I was planning on just going that route. then the b450 gaming pro carbon ac went on sale for around the same price. i think its the same vrm set just with more bells and whistles (2 m.2 slot, argb, wifi) So Im thinking about just going with that board, until I had the OCD thought that the carbon bios is already kinda maxed out they are on text based and cut the athlon chips to make room. My only concern is while I understand nobody knows the future but im hoping if i go with this board the bios wont get maxed and i wont be able to upgrade to an 8 core ryzen 4000 processor in the future...?

I read your story.  My suggestion is stick with the motherboard wait for it to return back to you and use it.  LOL Ryzen 4000 series,, man your counting your sheep to fast.  It is going to be about 12 to 16 months before we get a Ryzen 4000 series.  Dec 2020 or mid 2021.  The 450 board is not recommended on this new technology CPU.  You will not have PCIe 4.0 for your new spanking card at that time you have few PCIe lanes and no USB C and couple other bells and whistles.  I would recommend if your thinking about the 4000 then you must buy the chipset it comes with or else its not a smart upgrade to throw in a couple year old chipset onto new 4000 CPU.  So in closing, keep what you have and dont worry about the future.  In the future like I said, you must upgrade your motherboard or else its a stupid upgrade.  Its like the 9900k coming out and using a older chipset then the z390 or when 10xxx comes out by 2021 use the z390 instead of a new say z490.  If your going to upgrade in the future do it right, don't drag your old motherboard along for the upgrade.  By the time you want a 4000 CPU the new chipset will be out and a lot of people care about PCIe 4.0 and the other stuff say a x570 has.
So instead of wasting money just wait for the motherboard to get back and use it until it will not suffice for you then do a proper upgrade.  Just my two cents...

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

7 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

Well, the Tomahawk already has a click BIOS. Good VRMs, or at least not trash compared to some others.

IMO you'd be better off just buying a USB hub if you need more ports, or wait for your replacement and just use it. But your choice of course. Ryzen 4th gen isn't confirmed to be AM4 yet AFAIK.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Defeat the damn COCD my friend!!!!!!!!!!

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

34 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I read your story.  My suggestion is stick with the motherboard wait for it to return back to you and use it.  LOL Ryzen 4000 series,, man your counting your sheep to fast.  It is going to be about 12 to 16 months before we get a Ryzen 4000 series.  Dec 2020 or mid 2021.  The 450 board is not recommended on this new technology CPU.  You will not have PCIe 4.0 for your new spanking card at that time you have few PCIe lanes and no USB C and couple other bells and whistles.  I would recommend if your thinking about the 4000 then you must buy the chipset it comes with or else its not a smart upgrade to throw in a couple year old chipset onto new 4000 CPU.  So in closing, keep what you have and dont worry about the future.  In the future like I said, you must upgrade your motherboard or else its a stupid upgrade.  Its like the 9900k coming out and using a older chipset then the z390 or when 10xxx comes out by 2021 use the z390 instead of a new say z490.  If your going to upgrade in the future do it right, don't drag your old motherboard along for the upgrade.  By the time you want a 4000 CPU the new chipset will be out and a lot of people care about PCIe 4.0 and the other stuff say a x570 has.
So instead of wasting money just wait for the motherboard to get back and use it until it will not suffice for you then do a proper upgrade.  Just my two cents...

yeah I was just curious lololol. all very valid points. im JUST now starting to get somewhat educated on everything.. so the new comer OCD is coming along with it. thank you, that was my conclusion before, if i need front usb ports ever ill just go to the back or use a usb hub. I have plenty of time and enjoy swapping things out and tinkering so the labor involved with swapping a mobo did not bother me and I thought is kinda fun, that will change when I view it as a chore. I didnt even want to return it until I heard maybe the bios would have better upgrade options and I thought hey why not

36 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Well, the Tomahawk already has a click BIOS. Good VRMs, or at least not trash compared to some others.

IMO you'd be better off just buying a USB hub if you need more ports, or wait for your replacement and just use it. But your choice of course. Ryzen 4th gen isn't confirmed to be AM4 yet AFAIK.

thats what I thought. This is definitely one of those OCD things but I was mainly curious if I was overlooking anything

Futurproofing for AM4 is not even confirmed yet, the new Threadrippers are going to be on a different socket and that might be the case of the 4th gen Ryzen. I would get the Tomahawk or Pro Carbon depending on pricing, both are great boards, those two boards will be able to run an 8 cores CPU all day.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

1 minute ago, Mathieu9836 said:

Futurproofing for AM4 is not even confirmed yet, the new Threadrippers are going to be on a different socket and that might be the case of the 4th gen Ryzen. I would get the Tomahawk or Pro Carbon depending on pricing, both are great boards, those two boards will be able to run an 8 cores CPU all day.

the pro carbon is like 15$ more and it has wifi, argb headers, bluetooth.. etc

2 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

thats what I thought. This is definitely one of those OCD things but I was mainly curious if I was overlooking anything

At this stage where we don't know if Ryzen 4th gen will be AM4, I would say stick with the Tomahawk... this is the same mobo I have also, and I am also waiting for next year for my upgrade most likely to see if this board will suffice, or new one needed. I don't mind this BIOS, it is a little bit clunky I guess compared to some others, but for the amount of time I actually go into BIOS to change anything, this will be fine.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

44 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

At this stage where we don't know if Ryzen 4th gen will be AM4, I would say stick with the Tomahawk... this is the same mobo I have also, and I am also waiting for next year for my upgrade most likely to see if this board will suffice, or new one needed. I don't mind this BIOS, it is a little bit clunky I guess compared to some others, but for the amount of time I actually go into BIOS to change anything, this will be fine.

tomahawk and that board has the same vrm i think

18 hours ago, Jordan_C21 said:

tomahawk and that board has the same vrm i think

The gaming pro carbon? if so, yes it's pretty similar IIRC. What I was saying though is don't overthink it, if you're getting a direct replacement of the Tomahawk through RMA, just go with that. I don't think it's worth the hassle of trying to sell the Tomahawk you're getting replaced... but if you DO have the choice of another board then go with what you like... don't bother paying more for features you won't use though.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

The gaming pro carbon? if so, yes it's pretty similar IIRC. What I was saying though is don't overthink it, if you're getting a direct replacement of the Tomahawk through RMA, just go with that. I don't think it's worth the hassle of trying to sell the Tomahawk you're getting replaced... but if you DO have the choice of another board then go with what you like... don't bother paying more for features you won't use though.

no amazon full refunds for whatever reason within 30 days of purchase so im good to go

28 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

no amazon full refunds for whatever reason within 30 days of purchase so im good to go

That's cool, yeah I love Amazon... I have gotten full refunds for a motherboard before that lasted about 2 years :D  The mobo in question was a z170, in the end I ordered a b250 instead, so cost about £50 less. I almost always use Amazon for purchases, unless there's a massive difference or if Amazon doesn't have stock.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

38 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

That's cool, yeah I love Amazon... I have gotten full refunds for a motherboard before that lasted about 2 years :D  The mobo in question was a z170, in the end I ordered a b250 instead, so cost about £50 less. I almost always use Amazon for purchases, unless there's a massive difference or if Amazon doesn't have stock.

they nice