Gaming @ 1440 144hz+ w/ Max settings?

Intoxicus

Will my Ryzen 3800x @4.20GHz on an Asus ROG Strix X-470f w/ 32GB RAM @ 3200 & an RTX 2070 Super FTW3 be capable of 60+ fps if I go up to 1440p and retain ultra/max settings?

I'm getting ready to get a new monitor with G-Sync and not sure if I should upgrade to 1440p.

What kind of performance gap on average is there between in 1080p and 1440p in practical scenarios?

1 minute ago, Intoxicus said:

Will my Ryzen 3800x @4.20GHz on an Asus ROG Strix X-470f w/ 32GB RAM @ 3200 & an RTX 2070 Super FTW3 be capable of 60+ fps if I go up to 1440p and retain ultra/max settings?

I'm getting ready to get a new monitor with G-Sync and not sure if I should upgrade to 1440p.

What kind of performance gap on average is there between in 1080p and 1440p in practical scenarios?

Yes. You will achieve that easily. 

as for g sync, you don’t need g sync monitors anymore; there is a official list of ‘g sync compatible’ monitors which are certified to work, but many other screens with free sync also usually work. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

There's quite a big difference in performance. Next gen Nvidia GPU's are confirmed for Q1 next year, I'd recommend waiting or getting a GTX 1080 ti for better $/performance. I feel like the RTX cards are gonna crash in price, assuming we don't get ripped off again.

That being said it also depends on what games you play. I think for most games you should be fine?

4 minutes ago, fringie said:

There's quite a big difference in performance. Next gen Nvidia GPU's are confirmed for Q1 next year, I'd recommend waiting or getting a GTX 1080 ti for better $/performance. I feel like the RTX cards are gonna crash in price, assuming we don't get ripped off again.

That being said it also depends on what games you play. I think for most games you should be fine?

show that confirmation. cause thats unbelieveable they don't even have new data on it shown out. no one knows anything about it but a few things. like its being done via samsung. and its on 7nm.

9 minutes ago, Intoxicus said:

yeah easily. i just bought a gigabyte gaming oc 3x 8g and will pair it with a 2600x at 4.1ghz. Your rig is better due to the ryzen 3000 pretty big improvements. Mine will be able to run it. so yours will 100% for sure run it. no need to worry. honestly its worth it getting a 1440p monitor. eventually when you cant support it anymore you can then always switch it to 1080p :) cant do that with a 1080p panel ;)

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

8 minutes ago, Intoxicus said:

capable of 60+ fps if I go up to 1440p and retain ultra/max settings?

your title says one thing, your question says another.

Yes your 2070 will do 1440p max at 60fps, no it won't do 1440p max at 144fps

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

your title says one thing, your question says another.

Yes your 2070 will do 1440p max at 60fps, no it won't do 1440p max at 144fps

barely anything will do that sadly :P not even a 2080ti at max settings. on newest tripple a titles. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

I maybe should have been more clear.

I'm trying to gauge to go 1440p or stay at 1080p?

I like gaming with all the bells and whistles. So I'm trying to figure if I go to 1440p will I have to start turning too many settings down. Obviously I won't need anti aliasing as much @ 1440p. But everything else I want maxed out.

Because a 120hz+ 1080p 27" 1ms G-Sync Monitor seems to be impossible to find I'm stuck more or less between Freesync @ 1080p or G-Sync @ 1440p.

34 minutes ago, Intoxicus said:

I maybe should have been more clear.

I'm trying to gauge to go 1440p or stay at 1080p?

I like gaming with all the bells and whistles. So I'm trying to figure if I go to 1440p will I have to start turning too many settings down. Obviously I won't need anti aliasing as much @ 1440p. But everything else I want maxed out.

1440p looks good. if you like competitive gaming. and dont mind 1080p. stick with that. if you love graphics. and dont really mind the performance hit go for a 1440p panel. 

do keep in mind that most non tripple a titles will play at a high fps number with a 2070 super. 

PC: 

The specs in the OP are my current system on a cheap BenQ 1080p monitor at 60hz. I'm essentially bottlenecking my system at the monitor. With fast v-sync I can see some very impressive frame rate on most games. But I'm not getting a firm idea of how much performance I'll lose by going 1440p.

If I want to order from Amazon US(I'm in Canada) I can get a good 1080p G-Sync panel. But if anything is wrong with it returns with Amazon US are a nightmare.

I'm not very enthused on G-Sync compatible. If I'm going to be spending 500-850 CAD on a monitor I want proper full G-Sync if I can get it.

1 hour ago, Intoxicus said:

The specs in the OP are my current system on a cheap BenQ 1080p monitor at 60hz. I'm essentially bottlenecking my system at the monitor. With fast v-sync I can see some very impressive frame rate on most games. But I'm not getting a firm idea of how much performance I'll lose by going 1440p.

If I want to order from Amazon US(I'm in Canada) I can get a good 1080p G-Sync panel. But if anything is wrong with it returns with Amazon US are a nightmare.

I'm not very enthused on G-Sync compatible. If I'm going to be spending 500-850 CAD on a monitor I want proper full G-Sync if I can get it.

you should first research whether a monitor of freesync is compatible with gsync. so that you can get a cheaper monitor. 

mine has freesync  but its compatible with gsync even though it doesnt list it officially as compatible. 
the difference is non existing if it works on a freesync. ive been using it with my gtx 1070 and will be using it on my new 2070 super (gigabyte oc 3x 8g) when it arrives in about 2 hours. No stutters. no tearing. it is working perfectly. 

Its the lg 32GK650F. bought it for 320 euros. soo.. very cheap. 

PC: 

7 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

you should first research whether a monitor of freesync is compatible with gsync. so that you can get a cheaper monitor. 

mine has freesync  but its compatible with gsync even though it doesnt list it officially as compatible. 
the difference is non existing if it works on a freesync. ive been using it with my gtx 1070 and will be using it on my new 2070 super (gigabyte oc 3x 8g) when it arrives in about 2 hours. No stutters. no tearing. it is working perfectly. 

Its the lg 32GK650F. bought it for 320 euros. soo.. very cheap. 

I understand that already...

Read my previous posts again please...

Also I don't want the cheapest monitor. I want the best quality within my price range of 500-850 CAD.

"Because a 120hz+ 1080p 27" 1ms G-Sync Monitor seems to be impossible to find I'm stuck more or less between Freesync @ 1080p or G-Sync @ 1440p."

"I'm not very enthused on G-Sync compatible. If I'm going to be spending 500-850 CAD on a monitor I want proper full G-Sync if I can get it."

I'm trying to get an clear idea of how much FPS I'll lose going to 1440p and retaining max settings.
If I wanted a G-Sync compatible monitor I would have already made my choice. Full G-Sync is better, and for my money I really want full and proper G-Sync.
"
the difference is non existing if it works on a freesync." Not true at all either.

I'm not a noob. I just can't find firm info on the performance difference at max settings between 1080p and 1440p.

1 hour ago, Intoxicus said:

I understand that already...

Read my previous posts again please...

Also I don't want the cheapest monitor. I want the best quality within my price range of 500-850 CAD.

"Because a 120hz+ 1080p 27" 1ms G-Sync Monitor seems to be impossible to find I'm stuck more or less between Freesync @ 1080p or G-Sync @ 1440p."

"I'm not very enthused on G-Sync compatible. If I'm going to be spending 500-850 CAD on a monitor I want proper full G-Sync if I can get it."

I'm trying to get an clear idea of how much FPS I'll lose going to 1440p and retaining max settings.
If I wanted a G-Sync compatible monitor I would have already made my choice. Full G-Sync is better, and for my money I really want full and proper G-Sync.
"
the difference is non existing if it works on a freesync." Not true at all either.

I'm not a noob. I just can't find firm info on the performance difference at max settings between 1080p and 1440p.

you cant be given a proper amount of how much fps you will lose. it varies for system and game. 

but here you go: 

PC: 

10 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

if you like competitive gaming. and dont mind 1080p. stick with that.

You can play at a high level in competitive esport titles at 1440p pretty easily. I did it. I think what you mean to infer is that if you're a professional gamer playing under an org, the best option is to stick with 1080p.

Side note, everybody needs to stop pretending they'll benefit from an option just as much as a pro gamer would. Not that many people are actually pro gamers.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

13 minutes ago, Suika said:

You can play at a high level in competitive esport titles at 1440p pretty easily. I did it. I think what you mean to infer is that if you're a professional gamer playing under an org, the best option is to stick with 1080p.

Side note, everybody needs to stop pretending they'll benefit from an option just as much as a pro gamer would. Not that many people are actually pro gamers.

Thanks for the answer!

I'm a new content creator/streamer.(Intoxicus Gaming)

I have no pretenses of being a "Pro" gamer. I have coordination issues related to a medical diagnosis which makes minimizing input lag very important for me. I have a long story about realizing the importance of input lag in general, and how much more important it is for a person with coordination impairments. The high FPS is for two reasons: I'm bottlenecking my system at 60fps, it feels like a waste of everything to be able to do high FPS, but not use it with a cheap 60fps panel. And coordination issues demand minimal input lag/latency.

It seems kinds pointless to go 1440p when I'll be streaming 1080p anyway. And downscaling 1440p to 1080p will take more processing power.

My ideal monitor is a 27" 1080p 240hz 1ms legit G-Sync panel with decent color accuracy. So far that's not easy to find here in Canada for a reasonable price.

I have more options at 1440p/144hz. But then how much does my FPS suffer? Especially for streaming.

I am reading that 1440p makes AA less necessary for what should be obvious reasons. So I'm left wondering how much will using less AA balance out with the performance loss?

I'm dead set on max settings, no including AA(if I'm spending this much money I better get max settings.) So if 1440p means turning settings down that's a hard nope.

G-Sync is legit better than FreeSync. That may not matter to you, but it does to me. Again if I'm spending this much I want the best out of my money I can get.

I'm sitting here being left wondering if I will regret my choice and be left wanting to an RTX 2080 Ti/Super if I get a 1440p panel.

If I could easily find and acquire my ideal 1080 monitor it would be a moot issue. The "Acer Predator XB2 XB272 bmiprz" fits the bill, but I'm looking at $1000+ for it in Canada or ordering from the USA which will wind up costing almost as much after shipping and all that.

Edited by Intoxicus

22 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

you cant be given a proper amount of how much fps you will lose. it varies for system and game. 

but here you go: 

Again, I'm not a noob. I know that.

You're completely missing the point of what I'm asking.

6 minutes ago, Intoxicus said:

I have more options at 1440p/144hz. But then how much does my FPS suffer? Especially for streaming.

So I have a 1080 Ti, which is a bit ahead of an RTX 2070 Super but not by a huge margin, and very few titles drop below 60 FPS. The only recent examples I have is Minecraft with a really intense shader and keeping literally hundreds of mobs on a farm, but I believe I was more CPU bound at that point anyway, and Borderlands 3, which is so miserably optimized that even with a 2080 Ti, you'll probably drop below 60 FPS way more often than you should for a game as visually unimpressive as BL3. As far as targeting 144Hz, you should have reasonable expectations. In triple-A titles, you're probably not going to hit that unless you tweak settings. I personally have no problem with that, especially as some settings are a bit more superfluous than others, but keep expectations in check is all. If you aren't willing to put up with that (which is a bit silly in my opinion), then 1440p may not be the way to go.

13 minutes ago, Intoxicus said:

G-Sync is legit better than FreeSync. That may not matter to you, but it does to me. Again if I'm spending this much I want the best out of my money I can get.

There are advantages to it that not a lot of users believe in. I believe it's still a fantastic option for the high end or for somebody concerned about the potential latency and response time benefits, not to mention the better QA from having an NVIDIA certified display, but it's not something I personally would concern myself with since I've dropped out of competitive esports titles.

16 minutes ago, Intoxicus said:

I'm sitting here being left wondering if I will regret my choice and be left wanting to an RTX 2080 Ti/Super if I get a 1440p panel.

I don't think a 2080 Ti is going to do 1440p 144Hz high/ultra in every title either, so... I don't think you'll have a problem there.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

54 minutes ago, Suika said:

So I have a 1080 Ti, which is a bit ahead of an RTX 2070 Super but not by a huge margin, and very few titles drop below 60 FPS. The only recent examples I have is Minecraft with a really intense shader and keeping literally hundreds of mobs on a farm, but I believe I was more CPU bound at that point anyway, and Borderlands 3, which is so miserably optimized that even with a 2080 Ti, you'll probably drop below 60 FPS way more often than you should for a game as visually unimpressive as BL3. As far as targeting 144Hz, you should have reasonable expectations. In triple-A titles, you're probably not going to hit that unless you tweak settings. I personally have no problem with that, especially as some settings are a bit more superfluous than others, but keep expectations in check is all. If you aren't willing to put up with that (which is a bit silly in my opinion), then 1440p may not be the way to go.

There are advantages to it that not a lot of users believe in. I believe it's still a fantastic option for the high end or for somebody concerned about the potential latency and response time benefits, not to mention the better QA from having an NVIDIA certified display, but it's not something I personally would concern myself with since I've dropped out of competitive esports titles.

I don't think a 2080 Ti is going to do 1440p 144Hz high/ultra in every title either, so... I don't think you'll have a problem there.

Thank you very much! This is the kind of response I'm looking for :)

As I was starting to suspect I should stay at 1080p for now and hold out for that ideal monitor. I keep getting stuck on the thought "If I'm streaming and Creating Content @ 1080p what's the point in going 1440p at all?" There's more monitors available with everything I'm looking for at good prices at 1440p though.

I'll probably have to order that Acer Predator XB272 bmiprz from the US unless I get lucky though. And I would trade 240hz for 144hz and good HDR, but good luck finding that at 1080p. I feel like the lack of full featured 1080p panels is almost forcing me to 1440p, even though I'm happy enough at 1080p for now.

7 hours ago, Intoxicus said:

If that's your only specification, then you won't be able to beat this monitor.

https://www.newegg.ca/dark-blue-gray-samsung-chg70-series-c27hg70-27/p/N82E16824022583

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

6 hours ago, Intoxicus said:

If I could find the one in that link for a more reasonable price in Canada it would be a done deal.

Like I was saying I'll probably have to order from a US Merchant.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071D6NGMH/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A31ZO8T9YEQYQI&psc=1

Unless you're planning on playing CS:GO competitively, there really is no use case for 240Hz at this time, as there is no combination of CPU and GPU that can push modern game's framerates out that fast without rendering at minimum graphics settings, and very low resolution. If you're dead set on getting 240Hz though, your options are going to be extremely limited, as there are only a handful of those monitors available at all. G-sync is also not all that different from Freesync 2, other than it requires an Nvidia GPU, and may or may not do HDR simultaneously. (freesync 2 is ALWAYS capable of it)

https://www.displayninja.com/freesync-2-vs-g-sync-hdr/

Right now you're sacrificing HDR, a lot of contrast and color accuracy, (the Acer is a TN panel, not a VA or IPS which are superior in every way except refresh rate) and some resolution (Acer is 1080p instead of 1440p) for 240Hz. All that sacrifice for something that's effectively impossible to use outside of a few specific very old competitive multiplayer shooters.

You did specify a price range, and I looked inside that price range. If you didn't actually want that price, then why did you say you did?

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms