Getting very high idle temperatures (55-65) on ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler

paw1
2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

How are you checking for this? Have you tried removing one and using it outside of the case?

Almost all case fans exhaust from the side with the frame and intake from the other. 

Trust me they don't. 

And I've checked this by removing the front window and holding my hand against them,  there's zero doubt ?

Also, also I've removed them since... 

It's only one bequiet fan now,  which you can rest assured blows in the right direction... I really would want to put a second one there too but it seems impossible - I could use PWM fans but then I can't set them to turn them off completely - they just won't do it,  could be the brand though,  I'm not sure I could do this with noctua PWM fans for example? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Trust me they don't. 

And I've checked this by removing the front window and holding my hand against them,  there's zero doubt ?

Also, also I've removed them since... 

It's only one bequiet fan now,  which you can rest assured blows in the right direction... I really would want to put a second one there too but it seems impossible - I could use PWM fans but then I can't set them to turn them off completely - they just won't do it,  could be the brand though,  I'm not sure I could do this with noctua PWM fans for example? 

Testing it in the case isn't very reliable since the graphics card fans would be blowing the opposite direction. 

Have you tested it outside of the case?

By almost all fans, I do mean over 99% of case fans. The fans that don't follow this rule are special exceptions like the rear fan of the MA610P. Even then, the blade curvature sweeps in the same way compared to the airflow direction. https://www.ocinside.de/review/cooler_master_ma610p/3/

Spoiler

cooler_master_ma610p_7-539x600.jpg

Those look like Lepa Bol fans. https://www.lepatek.com/eng/product_content/3/1/57/

Here's a diagram from their website:

Frame%20Design.png

All fans can be set to turn off. Control is dependent on the header you're powering the fan off of and not the fan itself. In this case, the motherboard. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Testing it in the case isn't very reliable since the graphics card fans would be blowing the opposite direction. 

Have you tested it outside of the case?

By almost all fans, I do mean over 99% of case fans. The fans that don't follow this rule are special exceptions like the rear fan of the MA610P. Even then, the blade curvature sweeps in the same way compared to the airflow direction. https://www.ocinside.de/review/cooler_master_ma610p/3/

Hide contents

cooler_master_ma610p_7-539x600.jpg

Those look like Lepa Bol fans. https://www.lepatek.com/eng/product_content/3/1/57/

Here's a diagram from their website:

Frame%20Design.png

All fans can be set to turn off. Control is dependent on the header you're powering the fan off of and not the fan itself. In this case, the motherboard. 

Ok,  I get what you mean now lol. :o

It's weird,  even though I might have set up my fans wrong the cooling still wasn't that bad - naturally,  it just works in reverse haha. 

Umm,  yes that's indeed the brand of those fans...

I tried everything,  my mobo just wouldn't turn them off completely, at least not in PWM mode... 

Well I think I'll have to change all my fans tomorrow and see if it actually improves something - I mean I admit I was never sure about those bottom intakes - it's confusing,  but I did test it with benchmarks and without fail the temps went down, weirdly. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Umm,  yes that's indeed the brand of those fans...

I tried everything,  my mobo just wouldn't turn them off completely, at least not in PWM mode... 

Well I think I'll have to change all my fans tomorrow and see if it actually improves something - I mean I admit I was never sure about those bottom intakes - it's confusing,  but I did test it with benchmarks and without fail the temps went down, weirdly. 

The extra exhaust probably does a bit to help but flipping the fans would be even better. 

Weren't you going to use PW2's anyway which went down to 0% rpm with your motherboard?

Why turn them off instead of running them at very low rpm? It'd be better for airflow while still being quiet.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The extra exhaust probably does a bit to help but flipping the fans would be even better. 

Weren't you going to use PW2's anyway which went down to 0% rpm with your motherboard?

Why turn them off instead of running them at very low rpm? It'd be better for airflow while still being quiet.

Yeah I wanted to do that   but as I said this fan header doesn't allow me to turn the PW2s off completely. 

I think how I have it now is good enough - only one PW in the bottom, connected to the same header like the exhaust fan, which was a bit complicated to setup,  but it works. 

Also I changed the fans now facing the right direction,  thank you for pointing that out - even when I didn't want to listen at first! 

CPU is about 10C cooler and the GPU about 15-20C cooler lol.  Crazy how big that difference is! 

I always thought it's ok because I see a lot of people had much higher temps than me anyway,  but the cooler the better, I guess!   :)

I could still put the two Lepa fans back,  but honestly since I can't turn them off completely with this fan header (sys fan 3) I probably won't. I don't see why it should blow at the GPU all the time when that hasn't even turned its fans on due to low temps (under 40C).

But really, thanks again,  I feel a little stupid haha, but it's my first build, and temps weren't *that* bad lol...

PS: this is how I connected the bottom intake fan... Using the sys fan 3 header would be much easier but no control whatsoever for DC fans with that sadly 

IMG_20191104_210915.thumb.jpg.5ef5898c0ac4dba1ea50d814c0c00b83.jpg

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer