Getting very high idle temperatures (55-65) on ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler

paw1

Hi!

I’m having trouble getting “normal” idle temperatures with my first PC build. My specs are as follows :

CPU : Ryzen 5 3600 (no overclocking)
Cooler : Stock (Wraith Stealth)
Motherboard : Asus TUF B450 plus gaming
Case : Corsair carbide spec 1
Fans : 120mm Front intake, rear exhaust.
PSU : Corsair CX550
GFX : Asus RTX 2060 OC 6GB (no overclocking)
RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB x 2 (running at 3000 Mhz)
Ambient temperatures : 28 to 30deg C

Right from my first boot, the temperature displayed in BIOS have been in the range of 58 to 65 deg C mostly hovering around 60. On checking the temperatures from within windows using the Ryzen master, they range between 48 to 60 during idling, mostly hovering around 53. While gaming, even in less demanding games, temps go up to 72. And while extracting big archives, it went up to 82 degrees and stayed near 80 for the entire duration.

Things I’ve tried : 

• Tightening the screws of the cooler. No change
  • Leaving the case open. No change
  • Removed the cooler, checked for any issues with the spread of thermal paste. Paste spread looked good covering 95% of the area (except for 2 small corners. Photo attached)
  • Reattached stock cooler without disturbing the existing spread. No change.
  • I took a 4000rpm fan and held it right near the stock cpu fan, effectively blasting a lot of air at it and observed temperatures. No change. This does seem to suggest that there is inadequate contact between cpu and the heat sink. However i've tightened the screws as much as they allow and also the spread of thermal paste doesn't seem too bad.

I’m short of ideas now! 

Cold start.jpg

IMG_5693.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

While extracting big archive.png

Normal behavior. Dont use BIOS as a temp gauge. Use Ryzen Master, which you did. My 3700x under full water cooling idles at 46-50c, so your temps are 100% normal. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Load temps are fine, idle temps don't really matter. I mean, the cooler could be set to higher speeds at idle, but all that would give you is more noise for no real benefit

Everyone I spoke to is getting idle temps around 35-40. My processor hasn't gone below 47 even once !

I'd change out the thermal paste. It is good practice to do so anyway anytime you remove the cooler from the cpu, because the disconnection can cause cracks and whatever in the thermal paste which might lead to reduced cooling.

That being said, I'm not familiar myself with AMD stock&idle temperatures. I do know their stock coolers aren't as bad as intel ones, so it might just be a bad batch of thermal paste. In rare cases, and AMD is certainly not known for this, the solder/thermal paste between the IHS and die might be bad as well.

Thanks. I'm thinking of giving this a try Cooler Master Hyper H410R. Its only a bit more expensive than getting a good quality thermal paste, and it comes with its own paste too. Also, I'm now touching 92 degrees while playing battlefield. Having a hard time believing this could be normal behavior.

14 minutes ago, paw1 said:

Thanks. I'm thinking of giving this a try Cooler Master Hyper H410R. Its only a bit more expensive than getting a good quality thermal paste, and it comes with its own paste too. Also, I'm now touching 92 degrees while playing battlefield. Having a hard time believing this could be normal behavior.

As mentioned, your temps are normal and fine. Higher idle temps are likely due overall case airflow that may be due to low fan rpm. 

Replacing the thermal paste probably won't make much of a difference. 

If you still want to upgrade the cooler, I'd recommend getting a more substantial upgrade instead. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

yah, im having the same isue... and cpu gets over 90 when gaming (and hits only 3,9ghz).

There is an article on techspot.com suggesting idle temps should be around 33°C when using the stock cooler. Did you check the temps on idle after booting to your OS? I use Core Temp to check my temperatures, but any similar programs will do. 

On my first PC build I had issues with CPU temps as well. Back then I had the CPU fan header plugged onto the wrong pin. Increasing the mouting pressure of my cooler decreased the temperature by another 10°C or so.

Here's the link to the article.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1871-amd-ryzen-3600/

Temps.png

6 hours ago, paw1 said:

Your temperatures definitely look too high. For the record, that cooler should normally push temperatures below the 30 degrees celcius. You might run less hot by quite a bit should thermal transfer between the cooler and cpu die be up to par, but I neither would accept idle temperatures of 40 degrees on average with that. So do keep that in mind. 

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

As mentioned, your temps are normal and fine. Higher idle temps are likely due overall case airflow that may be due to low fan rpm. 

Replacing the thermal paste probably won't make much of a difference. 

If you still want to upgrade the cooler, I'd recommend getting a more substantial upgrade instead. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

No, they are not normal. AMD do run a bit hotter, but that is 20 degrees above normal idle temperatures for that cpu. If you read his post thoroughly, you should know this has nothing to do with his case airflow either.

4 hours ago, Turbof1 said:

No, they are not normal. AMD do run a bit hotter, but that is 20 degrees above normal idle temperatures for that cpu

Agreed that they are not normal, but is there something to do about it?

Not much point delidding a Ryzen 3600, though it might help.

I edit my posts more often than not

16 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Agreed that they are not normal, but is there something to do about it?

Not much point delidding a Ryzen, though it might help.

I wouldn't go that far. Let's see what a new cooler and thermal paste brings.

6 hours ago, Turbof1 said:

Your temperatures definitely look too high. For the record, that cooler should normally push temperatures below the 30 degrees celcius. You might run less hot by quite a bit should thermal transfer between the cooler and cpu die be up to par, but I neither would accept idle temperatures of 40 degrees on average with that. So do keep that in mind. 

No, they are not normal. AMD do run a bit hotter, but that is 20 degrees above normal idle temperatures for that cpu. If you read his post thoroughly, you should know this has nothing to do with his case airflow either.

Ah, I missed the part about the fan held against the cooler. 

Idle temps are generally limited to >10c over ambient so the temps you're referring to would be very unlikely with ambient already near 30c. 

Load temps do seem normal which is what really matters though. 

@paw1 Are you sure that the system is idling and that there aren't any other programs or updates happening in the background that are putting a load on the cpu?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I call complete BS on the Wraith Stealth keeping the 3600 at 33c in idle. Maybe if you force it to max RPM at all times, not with an actual fan curve. Unless they tested in an unrealistically cold room, or open air test. It was in the low 40's for me in idle. It's just not a good cooler, this is consistent with my own temps with the 3600 stock cooler. Low 40's idle, up to 85c in a Cinebench R20 all core run. Get a good 4 heatpipe cooler if it concerns you.

OP, this isn't normal at all, I have a R5 3600 on stock cooler, idle temp is between 32C and 35C, max temp so far was 63C while playing Tomb Raider,  when I do tests like 3D mark it's a lot cooler around 58C. And the CPU reaches 4.2GHz easily without any OC too (so it's not that it wouldn't work right) 

And I'm using a case with "supposedly" bad air flow, the inwin 301, and I set my exhaust fan to turn off completely while idling,  it wouldn't be any useful anyway because only cold air is coming out of it unless under heavy load, other fans are at ca. 500RPM while idling - tbh I'm sure I could turn them off too but my motherboard won't let me haha. 

CPU fan is around 1000RPM while idling, between 1800 and 2200 on load. 

I would return this CPU as faulty if you can,  because it's not normal and looks like you applied your cooling solution at least acceptable. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 10/29/2019 at 8:15 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Idle temps are generally limited to >10c over ambient so the temps you're referring to would be very unlikely with ambient already near 30c. 

Load temps do seem normal which is what really matters though. 

Oh, you know what,  that makes sense,  my room is 18-20C max,  so maybe the temps the OP gets are normal, it did just strike me as way too high from my own experience. 

I also believe the AMD coolers are very good for a stock solution so changing them out for these kind of CPUs with limited OC potential seems kinda unnecessary? 

But yeah, if 10C over ambient is deemed normal,  which makes sense, disregard my previous post then about returning the CPU. 

PS: I still think it might be a bit high for idle? 

Could be my cooling solution, or maybe the OP changed the default fan curve, which is a bit too much for my tastes,  however I didn't touch it because I can barely hear the CPU fan at all,  case fans are a lot more audible, but not too bad since I set them really low for under 40C temps. 

I may went a little overboard with my case fans :D

IMG_20191101_000604.thumb.jpg.77be2ff876f66cc0af8c74071d5e2105.jpg

IMG_20191101_000629.thumb.jpg.a7e6095e5d057ec1865002fbfba05801.jpg

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Update 1 : @WoodenMarker Although I was idling, few apps were open in the background (steam, epic store, origin) and although they weren't downloading anything, there was an improvement in my temperatures when I closed them all. At this point, the CPU temps stabilized around 47-48 degrees.

Update 2 : After using Arctic MX-4 thermal paste, I was able to get my idles to 41 . And with room temperatures set to 26 degrees, I was able to get 38 degrees on the CPU.

Thank you all for your efforts!

On 10/31/2019 at 3:51 PM, Mark Kaine said:

I may went a little overboard with my case fans :D

Your case airflow seems backwards. It will at least provide fresh airflow to the cpu cooler but it's unfiltered unless you added an aftermarket one that I don't see. At the very least, the fans below the graphics card should be facing the other way since it's currently fighting with the graphics card fans. 

Spoiler

open-grille.pngimg_5b915c3c52212.png

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Your case airflow seems backwards. It will at least provide fresh airflow to the cpu cooler but it's unfiltered unless you added an aftermarket one that I don't see. At the very least, the fans below the graphics card should be facing the other way since it's currently fighting with the graphics card fans. 

Hide contents

open-grille.pngimg_5b915c3c52212.png

Pretty sure this is wrong,  my case is designed differently than most,  there is a dust filter at the bottom,  which means it's an intake, and while I agree it seems weird to put the airflow directly onto the GPU,  I've tested this,  the GPU is about 3C cooler with this setup than simply without bottom intake fans. 

Interestingly my case (the inwin 301) is supposed to have "bad airflow"  but this is mostly due to the testers not grasping the concept,  and like you suggest,  actually set up the fans the wrong way, or not at all. 

It's also funny I'm seeing overheating Ryzen 3600 left and right,  yet mine is super cool with stock cooler at ~35 idle and the max under load I got it so far was like 63C. 

And it was the same for my 2200G 

And my 1060 also doesn't get overly hot (73C max,  but usually it's more like 68/69C in most games) 

And also the fans aren't fighting with other fans, the bottom fans are pushing fresh air towards the GPU intake as you can see in the picture you posted yourself, and thus help to keep the system cooler ("whooping" 3C on average in my rather extensive tests with various benchmarks and games) 

IMG_20191104_235605.thumb.jpg.45edeb792d84564f63a4d376e5a503b9.jpg

ALL the tests I've seen for this particular case did the fan setup wrong in one way or another,  with the result = "bad air flow"... 

Well, yeah if someone doesn't understand the basic rules of physics and doesn't want to follow the instructions... They will have indeed "bad airflow" in this case. ;)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

And also the fans aren't fighting with other fans, the bottom fans are pushing fresh air towards the GPU intake as you can see in the picture you posted yourself, and thus help to keep the system cooler ("whooping" 3C on average in my rather extensive tests with various benchmarks and games) 

The fans on the psu shroud in the photo are acting as exhaust and not intake. The photo shows them blowing air downwards. 

19 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The fans on the psu shroud in the photo are acting as exhaust and not intake. The photo shows them blowing air downwards. 

Actually the PSU airflow isn't shown at all in this picture? 

However, the PSU is indeed not ideal in this setup as it's mounted on the top (not sure if you've noticed?), but we were talking about the GPU now and that works very well,  if awkward... That's also why I wanted to be able to control the bottom intake fans because I don't want them to blow air constantly towards the GPU when it's idling... 

Like I said,  3C difference with compared to without 2 bottom intake fans (currently I have only 1 installed sadly due to the circumstances of my mobo not supporting DC control on the third fan header) 

I'm just saying,  there *is* generally a huge misconception on how this case works and as such it didn't really get favourable reviews, it should have tho,  it's an excellent case,  high quality,  sturdy and good airflow. 

The only negative is its an absolute pain to work with ... they could have had some more openings for cables and such that would have helped a lot. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

26 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Actually the PSU airflow isn't shown at all in this picture? 

I'm not referring to the psu fan. I made a mistake thinking there was a psu shroud when it was just the bottom of the case. 

These are the fans at the bottom. 

f93dcf6aed08852fe9060a988c8888db.png

They are blowing downwards. Flip them so they're blowing in the same direction as the graphics card fans. 

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not referring to the psu fan. I made a mistake thinking there was a psu shroud when it was just the bottom of the case. 

These are the fans at the bottom. 

f93dcf6aed08852fe9060a988c8888db.png

They are blowing downwards. Flip them so they're blowing in the same direction as the graphics card fans. 

Oh.  But they don't!? 

You would be definitely right if that was the case,  but they don't,  they blow upwards. :)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

You would be definitely right if that was the case,  but they don't,  they blow upwards. :)

How are you checking for this? Have you tried removing one and using it outside of the case?

Almost all case fans exhaust from the side with the frame and intake from the other. 

The fan blade design also indicates that it's blowing towards the frame.