Play games on pc. Over nas

gunu

Is it possible to Play games on pc. But The games is store on a nas

It's possible.  Might not be the greatest experience ever.  Why would you want to?

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

6 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

It's possible.  Might not be the greatest experience ever.  Why would you want to?

Not Enough Space in ny pc. I have a ssd 254gb and i have 3tb on The nas

53 minutes ago, gunu said:

Is it possible to Play games on pc. But The games is store on a nas

You can absolutely do this. Just have to map a network share folder from the NAS as a drive letter on your PC, then make a Steam library on said network share. In theory this should work with any game launcher that supports installing games to a location of your choosing.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

8 hours ago, kirashi said:

You can absolutely do this. Just have to map a network share folder from the NAS as a drive letter on your PC, then make a Steam library on said network share. In theory this should work with any game launcher that supports installing games to a location of your choosing.

I was hoping this would be the case, but have been having a lot of problems getting this to work in FreeNas.

9 hours ago, kirashi said:

9 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

this is a terrible idea, not only will your games take a long time to load (due to potential bandwidth limitations on your network), if you are playing a online game like CS:GO or garrys mod, it will lag like hell since your computer has to access the files for the game from another computer AND send the game data outside your network to the game server.

my advice? get an external USB 3.0 1TB HDD, it's an easy, good cheap upgrade to your computer's storage, and for the love of god, don't install games to a network location unless your REALLY like lag and game loading screens...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

12 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

this is a terrible idea, not only will your games take a long time to load (due to potential bandwidth limitations on your network), if you are playing a online game like CS:GO or garrys mod, it will lag like hell since your computer has to access the files for the game from another computer AND send the game data outside your network to the game server.

my advice? get an external USB 3.0 1TB HDD, it's an easy, good cheap upgrade to your computer's storage, and for the love of god, don't install games to a network location unless your REALLY like lag and game loading screens...

I mean, I didn't say there wouldn't be drawbacks :P Unless you have 10gbit, there will indeed be some lag when loading game data.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)