3600 or 2700x?

So; to keep it short. (spoiler alert: it's not short).

I can't decide between the 3600 and 2700x.

Location is Belgium and local prices are 175 for the 2700x and 195 for the 3600.

For me the price difference is not an issue, it's too small for me to care about.

It will be used with 2x8GB 3600Mhz ram.

I mainly game but render a video from time to time, but don't really care about render times because they will probably do a fine job regardless.

The problem I struggle with is the gaming part. I have an rx 480 and play at 1080p144Hz with freesync, yes the rx 480 doesn't hit that target all the time but as long as it's smooth I'm fine with that.

The 3600 is indeed better in gaming, but I have an rx 480 and I don't know if it makes sense to ditch 2 cores to get more single-thread performance.

Games are getting using multiple cores and I'm planning to keep it for 5 years so I dunno.

If it's relevant, I have an i5 4670k@4.4Ghz right now that is causing performance issues with the games I play.

I play basically everything. AC, rocket league, CS:GO, old NFS games (underground 2, most wanted,...), watch_dogs, forza, cities skylines,...

I want to OC too (just for fun, don't care about the actual result) so bonus question: what CPU cooler should I get?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Pretty much the same, if not slightly better in 3600.

that extra 2 cores would be handy for rendering.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Considering gaming seems to be your "absolute" priority, I'd get the 3600.

Bonus Q: Get a D15 and join the family ❤️

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

Considering gaming seems to be your "absolute" priority, I'd get the 3600.

Bonus Q: Get a D15 and join the family ❤️

Isn't the NH-D15 a bit overkill if I get a 3600?

I love the cooler, don't get me wrong, I have used a D14 in the past and it was a monster but, if I'm going to whack another 100 bucks at it just for a cooler it's probably  a better idea to just go with a 3700x at that point (3600+D15 is around 300 bucks, a 3700x is 330)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Isn't the NH-D15 a bit overkill if I get a 3600?

I love the cooler, don't get me wrong, I have used a D14 in the past and it was a monster but, if I'm going to whack another 100 bucks at it just for a cooler it's probably  a better idea to just go with a 3700x at that point (3600+D15 is around 300 bucks, a 3700x is 330)

Yeah that's fair haha. If you're looking for something lighter weight I'd go towards a U12S or something similar.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

20 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Yeah that's fair haha. If you're looking for something lighter weight I'd go towards a U12S or something similar.

Lol GG for weird prices. There is only a 13 bucks difference.

I guess D15 it is then xD