Where to plug in cpu 3 pin for aio? Board only has cpu 4 pin connections.

Aio - corsair h115i pro rgb 

Motherboard - Asus X470-F Gaming 

Problem. One of the cables that comes out of the cooler is a cpu 3 pin connector. The board only appears to have 4 pin connectors. Where do I have it plugged in to? Thanks for the help! 

20191027_003456.jpg

4-pin connectors accept both 3-pin and 4-pin fans.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

You attach the 3 pin to your 4 pin CPU header. You can only plug it in one way, because the cable and connector have plastic spacers on them.

The 4th pin is optional and even the 3rd pin is. The 2 first pins and + and -, the third is voltage (so you can change speed) measurement! and the 4th is PWM (so you can change speed more granular).

6 minutes ago, Cobbwebbros said:

What model mono is it?

That's in the second line of the original post, but doesn't matter since all boards nowadays use 4 pin and 3 pin works just fine in that connector.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

the third is voltage

Nope the 3rd is the RPM measurement. When controlling by voltage the voltage is changed on the 2 supply pins. 3rd is still optional, if there's none you just can't see the speed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

You attach the 3 pin to your 4 pin CPU header. You can only plug it in one way, because the cable and connector have plastic spacers on them.

The 4th pin is optional and even the 3rd pin is. The 2 first pins and + and -, the third is voltage (so you can change speed) and the 4th is PWM (so you can change speed more granular).

That's in the second line of the original post, but doesn't matter since all boards nowadays use 4 pin and 3 pin works just fine in that connector.

So I ended up plugging it into this one called "AIO PUMP CHA FAN". The AIO manual says to plug it into a cpu fan header though so which should I do? 

15721626816661953433668017533463.jpg

Just now, Eragorn said:

So I ended up plugging it into this one called "AIO PUMP CHA FAN". 

The manual tells you to connect it to CPU_FAN:

image.png.404a1b25c619f9256ef0373a763f35b4.png

Which I would kind of agree with. A motherboard sometimes needs to have something plugged into the CPU_FAN connector to properly work, plus I have in the past seen PUMP headers being different types of connectors.. (although I can't judge your board on assumptions from the past).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

The manual tells you to connect it to CPU_FAN:

image.png.404a1b25c619f9256ef0373a763f35b4.png

Which I would kind of agree with. A motherboard sometimes needs to have something plugged into the CPU_FAN connector to properly work, plus I have in the past seen PUMP headers being different types of connectors.. (although I can't judge your board on assumptions from the past).

Good to know. I shouldn't need to make any changes in the bios should I? This is my first liquid cooler and have previously used the included wraith. 

26 minutes ago, Eragorn said:

Good to know. I shouldn't need to make any changes in the bios should I? This is my first liquid cooler and have previously used the included wraith

Well, other than the fan curve, not really. You can just leave that as default too, but it would probably be noisier than it needs to be that way. If you're gonna adjust the speed of the pump, you'll probably need to change the control mode from PWM to DC

17 minutes ago, Yebi said:

Well, other than the fan curve, not really. You can just leave that as default too, but it would probably be noisier than it needs to be that way. If you're gonna adjust the speed of the pump, you'll probably need to change the control mode from PWM to DC

It appears to only contain the sense pin, presumably to stop the motherboard from moaning that there is no CPU fan.  So fan curve, PWM/DC isn't going to have an effect there.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7