AMD vs NVIDIA

James Day
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

Nvidia's RTX series added support for real time ray tracing, which AMD does not (yet) support. Unless you're playing games that support it, it doesn't really matter.

Overall, Nvidia does have the fastest GPU on the market (RTX 2080 ti), but it is very expensive. AMD's fastest card is significantly slower, but also a lot cheaper. So unless you absolutely need the fastest card there is (in which case Nvidia is the only choice), buy the fastest card that fits within your budget, which might very well be AMD.

I'm currently making the build for my first PC. I have been hearing about the "features" that a graphics card has, and how one is better than the other, but I don't really know what those features are, so could anyone help explain to me or give me a link to where I can find this information? Thanks! (I will be using this card for some FPS and MOBA games as well as school work)

Nvidia's RTX series added support for real time ray tracing, which AMD does not (yet) support. Unless you're playing games that support it, it doesn't really matter.

Overall, Nvidia does have the fastest GPU on the market (RTX 2080 ti), but it is very expensive. AMD's fastest card is significantly slower, but also a lot cheaper. So unless you absolutely need the fastest card there is (in which case Nvidia is the only choice), buy the fastest card that fits within your budget, which might very well be AMD.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Right now I'm looking at RX 5700xt vs RTX 2060 Super so in this case I should go with the AMD GPU?

5 minutes ago, James Day said:

Right now I'm looking at RX 5700xt vs RTX 2060 Super so in this case I should go with the AMD GPU?

The RX 5700 XT should be faster in most titles, so unless you're planning on using DXR/RTX it's probably the better choice unless you can get the 2060S for cheaper.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

They're both good cards, but the 5700 xt is significantly faster. However neither of these is a bad card