How to optimise windows ram usage

AndreiArgeanu

So, I only have 8gb of ram in my laptop and I don't really intend to upgrade as I plan to build a PC soon enough. Now, when I'm not doing anything, windows uses a wholesome 2.5gb of the ram available. Now, I made a windows 10 VM and disabled every service from sys config, a reboot later, there were no issues and the system was only consuming 0.8gb of the 4 available. So, any idea on how to optimise my windows ram usage? Like I don't expect to get as low as 0.8gb but at least go under 2 hopefully.

29 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

windows uses a wholesome 2.5gb of the ram available

Did you check how much of that was cache?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

So, I only have 8gb of ram in my laptop and I don't really intend to upgrade as I plan to build a PC soon enough. Now, when I'm not doing anything, windows uses a wholesome 2.5gb of the ram available. Now, I made a windows 10 VM and disabled every service from sys config, a reboot later, there were no issues and the system was only consuming 0.8gb of the 4 available. So, any idea on how to optimise my windows ram usage? Like I don't expect to get as low as 0.8gb but at least go under 2 hopefully.

Remember Windows Vista on up caches things in RAM that Windows think you might use. So like your web browser, music player and stuff like that. So the usage is going to be "High" even though your really not using all of it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If there is free RAM Windows will just cache stuff. Less memory use in idle does not mean the system is more "optimised". It might actually perform worse.

Why are you trying to maximize free memory?   Memory costs the same whether it's being used or not.  There is also no performance penalty for having RAM allocated to running programs.

RAM is like a fridge.  You're going to pay for refrigeration no matter what, but the more you have in it, the less likely you have to go to make a long trip to the store to get something  you want.