What do i really need for a good gaming experience?

I've been using a gaming laptop i got 5 years ago as my daily gaming machine and its finally time to upgrade. However, with the myriad of hardware choices and differing experiences of hardware review sites I'd like to ask my fellow consumer what their ideas are. The basic premise is simple, I don't play a lot of games consistently, the only one would be league of legends and i'd like to be able to play it at 1440p at 144 fps (which should not be difficult at all). Besides that, i'd like to play Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out. Outside gaming I do like to spin up a couple of virtual machines once in awhile for software testing purposes.

I was thinking a Ryzen 3600 (with X570 motherboard, I don't want to mess with bios updates)  Paired with either a 5700xt or 2070 super. I'd like 32 gigs of ram if not just for the sake of it, it's pretty cheap right now. Outside of that i'm open for any other ideas about a case, if i need more than the stock cooler if i dont plan to overclock, whats a good psu i can use for my next build, a good 1440p 144 hz monitor. Thanks in advance for any ideas or concerns! 

12 minutes ago, Mynameischef said:

I don't want to mess with bios updates

Even the vast majority of X570 boards will need a BIOS update to run optimum.

Specs look good though ?  If you wan't to push closer to 144hz at 1440 i'd lean towards the 2070s. 

Updating X570 itself shouldent be an issue since I already have a compatible processor. My understanding was that if i wanted to update B450 and X470 i would need a processor that worked out of the box with those chipsets. Also, is there any noticeable bump in performance if i go with a 2080 (non Super) when compared to the 2070 Super? Thanks for your response!

1 minute ago, Mynameischef said:

My understanding was that if i wanted to update B450 and X470 i would need a processor that worked out of the box with those chipsets. 

most of the MSI B450 boards can be updated without a CPU, while their MAX boards and the B450M/AC doesn't need BIOS updates at all to support zen 2.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

28 minutes ago, Mynameischef said:

I was thinking a Ryzen 3600 (with X570 motherboard, I don't want to mess with bios updates)

get a MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX then

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

3 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

most of the MSI B450 boards can be updated without a CPU, while their MAX boards and the B450M/AC doesn't need BIOS updates at all to support zen 2.

2 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

get a MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX then

Good to know! I wasn't aware of this, that should lower the price a bit and let me pick up some more storage.

Good to know! I wasn't aware of this, that should lower the price a bit and let me pick up some more storage.

the B450M/AC can get very cheap in particular, and is good enough for a 3600.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

the B450M/AC can get very cheap in particular, and is good enough for a 3600.

What about ram speeds, I know Ryzen likes fast ram, would this motherboard be able to support 3200 mhz+?

8 minutes ago, Mynameischef said:

What about ram speeds, I know Ryzen likes fast ram, would this motherboard be able to support 3200 mhz+?

A B450M should suport 3200mhz ram. I have a B450M HDV (very low end) MB and I'm using G. Skill 3200mhz memory.

This is what I have so far, my only concern would be if the monitor would be good (reviews seem to be good) and if the gigabyte card will last. I've used their 1050 ti's for 3d rending at my last IT job (a dental place) and they've lasted 2 years so far, but I don't know about this generation of cards. 

You don't need that large PSU for your system. 550w will do the job easily :)

5 minutes ago, eemunni said:

You don't need that large PSU for your system. 550w will do the job easily :)

Yeah, I just like having the option for upgradability in the future (i'd probably never use that much but the option is there) and i've heard good things about that specific unit. My computer before this had its power supply literally spark up and die while I was using it so i'd like this one to last me a good long while XD. But if you have other ideas on a smaller wattage that's fully modular and will last a long time i'm fully open to ideas! 

9 minutes ago, Mynameischef said:

Yeah, I just like having the option for upgradability in the future (i'd probably never use that much but the option is there) and i've heard good things about that specific unit. My computer before this had its power supply literally spark up and die while I was using it so i'd like this one to last me a good long while XD. But if you have other ideas on a smaller wattage that's fully modular and will last a long time i'm fully open to ideas! 

You've heard wrong because it's a bad unit that most people here won't recommend :/ 

Everything else is good though :) 

2 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

You've heard wrong because it's a bad unit that most people here won't recommend :/ 

Oof, it was probably the G2 i've heard about then, thanks a ton for the link! I'll get that changed.

Oof, it was probably the G2 i've heard about then, thanks a ton for the link! I'll get that changed.

Yes the G2 is amazing :) also don't worry about upgradability 550/650w are usually more than enough.

1 minute ago, Plouffe said:

Yes the G2 is amazing :) also don't worry about upgradability 550/650w are usually more than enough.

Yep, went ahead and put the 650W g2 on there, I think I might stick with this build unless I find a better monitor in that price range.

20 minutes ago, Mynameischef said:

Yep, went ahead and put the 650W g2 on there, I think I might stick with this build unless I find a better monitor in that price range.

As far as EVGA G series pricing goes, it can often be a bit too high. I got my G2 on sale but usually there are comparable or better PSUs for less.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DQx9TW/bitfenix-whisper-m-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bp-wg650umag-7fm

This whisper M for example, pretty excellent power supply, sub $100 to boot

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

50 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

As far as EVGA G series pricing goes, it can often be a bit too high. I got my G2 on sale but usually there are comparable or better PSUs for less.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DQx9TW/bitfenix-whisper-m-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bp-wg650umag-7fm

This whisper M for example, pretty excellent power supply, sub $100 to boot

Thanks! I've never heard of the brand before but after reading a bit online they seem to be pretty good, and they price is right too.