trouble shooting ... bad graphics card?

Vance44

so here is what i found i made sure vertical sync in the game was off 

turn free sync on the monitor on  its a little better but its still sort of there  maybe i need a higher refresh rate monitor? 

So what's the difference between them then question mark some monitors have fast sync and some have free sync because I've never seen an option in any game or monitor so far that say fast sync?

Somehow I'm just thinking it might be the monitor I need to monitor what the higher fresh rate?

because I'm having a hard time believing my 2070 graphics card and my i7 8700k 6 core processor is the issue?

That graphics card 2070 should have no problem playing in the lower resolution or even 4k

Does anybody have any ideas of where to begin troubleshooting to narrow down what the problem is and how to fix it? We can throughout the idea of bad cables because I've tried more than one I'm really hoping that it's just a monitor issue refresh rate is about high enough...

Like I said what are the odds that every board and my graphics card is bad or I have a bad graphics card? 

If the card was bad wouldn't I experience other issues with it?

If I try a higher refresh rate monitor and I still have the same issue then that narrows it down to a bad graphics card?

What are the odds a six-core 8700 i7 processor is not enough? It should be

here is what I will do when I get home tonight I will try to take a video of the gameplay and try to show you guys what it is doing that way you have a better idea of helping me identify the problem I will post it on YouTube and send the link in this post unless you're able to oh on this form?

Freesync is hardware solution. Fast sync is only additional settings in control panel under sync method.

You should try different options, maybe even force vsync on. Maybe your gpu is overheated because of factory overclocking and without sync it calculates too many frames (and then temperature is higher). So check some settings in control panel and you'll find proper one. Also install MSI Afterburner to control your fans and temperatures.

7 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Freesync is hardware solution. Fast sync is only additional settings in control panel under sync method.

You should try different options, maybe even force vsync on. Maybe your gpu is overheated because of factory overclocking and without sync it calculates too many frames (and then temperature is higher). So check some settings in control panel and you'll find proper one. Also install MSI Afterburner to control your fans and temperatures.

well I have my fan set to high and I've kept a track a temperatures running under benchmarks and never goes above 60

Just now, Vance44 said:

well I have my fan set to high and I've kept a track a temperatures running under benchmarks and never goes above 60

I have even found a stable overclock from MSI afterburner

ok guys i made a quick video to try to show you what my problem is and you have a better idea  

maybe this will help ? 

what do you think it is ? 

please tell me i just need a better monitor? lol 

one thing i forgot to mention in this video was the monitor is only 60hz refresh 

thanks 

23 hours ago, homeap5 said:

On 10/25/2019 at 7:16 AM, Razer06 said:

Im gonna guess that the monitor or card is bad. A RTX 2070 shouldnt be lagging on a game from 16 years ago

On 10/25/2019 at 7:20 AM, Princess Luna said:

This sounds weird enough... honestly you should have gone 1440p high refresh but that aside I agree with @homeap5 on specifying if you're using V-Sync or a Framerate capper or if your display has any adaptive sync functionality.

When you say it feels "choppy" but image quality is the same one can only imagine it might be running at a low fps but the information provided is vague...

On 10/25/2019 at 7:21 AM, Princess Luna said:

That's a 2003 game... if you're playing the vanilla old one it might simply be having compatibility issues when you try running it at 4K since the game is from long before 4K was ever a thing.

well it dose this in counter strike as well ... i need to download a game and trying playing something that's not a multiplayer game and see if maybe part of it is shitty internet? 

i would hope that's not the case my speed is 200 ... but its worth trying i guess .. i'm not going through wifi either its directly connected so that shouln't be t he issue 

Can you, just for a test, enable forcing vsync on and play with limited framerate to your monitor sync?

On 10/26/2019 at 2:15 PM, homeap5 said:

Can you, just for a test, enable forcing vsync on and play with limited framerate to your monitor sync?

I think the problem may be fixed I know when I turn a v-sink on it gets worse what I did is I can completely tore out my drivers and my card and my software and completely reinstall them from scratch problem gone!...at least so far we'll see what happens when I put a second monitor back on it but yes for now they're gone I'm pleased to say I don't think it's a bad graphics card lol just bad drivers... Thanks so much for your help!

I'll keep you posted if I have issues I'll let you know