Creating macros

IAmAndre
Go to solution Solved by minibois,

Taran uses the hotkey buttons on his devices to do complicated macros (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Tab+Some F key, combinations you wouldn't press on your own) to trigger an AutoHotKey script, which does the actual macro. This makes it so it doesn't matter what manufacturer you get the mouse/keyboard from.

AutoHotKey is a program kind of meant for the sort of purpose you mention, automate certain features. It has become kind of a programming language on its own, where you can automate kind of simple, or quite difficult key combinations.

Hi,

I've started a new job a few months ago, in which I have to do some quite repetitive tasks that I would like to automate. One of these is to read emails and extract some information to fill out some forms. So I would like to make this task easier for me by buying a new mouse with multiple extra buttons like this one (although the exact model doesn't really matter for now). For this particular task for example I would like a click on the button 1 to copy the selected text or paste what's in the clipboard if no text is selected. The idea would be to assign to each button a particular type of information and avoid to go back and forth between the forms and the email.

This is just one workflow but there are some other things that I would like to automate for totally different tasks. However I've never done it in the past, but I have a programming background so I wouldn't mind writing some code myself if needed. But I would like to know where to get started: is there a manufacturer offering a better/easier way to do such customizations? I can see that Taran is using Logitech peripherals so I am leaning towards this but I'm still not sure what's the best approach so any help/directions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Taran uses the hotkey buttons on his devices to do complicated macros (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Tab+Some F key, combinations you wouldn't press on your own) to trigger an AutoHotKey script, which does the actual macro. This makes it so it doesn't matter what manufacturer you get the mouse/keyboard from.

AutoHotKey is a program kind of meant for the sort of purpose you mention, automate certain features. It has become kind of a programming language on its own, where you can automate kind of simple, or quite difficult key combinations.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

That's pretty awesome. Thank you for this. I think AutoHotKey is exactly what I was looking for.