Ultrawide gaming machine - Help me improve my plan :)

LobsterPunk

Hello!

I'm planning to build a new gaming PC and would love to get a review of what I'm considering.  My current PC was totally awesome...in 2011.  It did a really good job (for the time) of running Skyrim. ;)  Sadly it can't run many current titles at all (even ones that aren't especially demanding) and that's resulting in me missing out on a lot of good experiences with my friends.  

Purpose: Purpose is almost exclusively gaming. Primarily I want to have as beautiful and immersive an experience with RPGs as possible. I hope to play other games (like BL3 with friends), but my main games are things like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 (when it launches), The Outer Worlds (once I build this), RDR2, etc.

Hoping to play games at high/ultra settings at 32:9 5120x1440

Budget: $3k USD, not including monitor. Can go over some if needed.  

Parts list (I'm not wed to anything here and I'm just now getting back into gaming hardware so please criticize away!)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/gmoritz/saved/BKpPnQ

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900k

Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Designare

Memory: 32GB (2x16) Corsair Vengeance RBG Pro DDR4-3200

Storage: WD Black 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

Video card: EVGA Geforce 2080Ti 11GB XC Ultra

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid-tower (may change, not totally sold on aesthetics of this one)

Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W 80+ Gold fully modular

Monitor: Samsung CRG9

Drop the NVMe drive, drop the ram down to 16, these won't benefit you

I'd also swap the gpu to a 2080S, the performance difference between these two is minimal. Not worth the extra 400$.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just to pay my respects here and not having much experience with makes and models here. But your core specs “ intel I9, RTX 2080ti, 32Gb ram, ...” are pretty on point for an ultimate gaming experience, bang for buck not really, but I get the feeling that’s not the goal here lol. Tho I would go a bit bigger maybe on the power supply, I have the “I7, 2070, 16Gb” and have the 700w psu.

but hats off to you sir!

Just now, sabre350Z said:

Just to pay my respects here and not having much experience with makes and models here. But your core specs “ intel I9, RTX 2080ti, 32Gb ram, ...” are pretty on point for an ultimate gaming experience, bang for buck not really, but I get the feeling that’s not the goal here lol. Tho I would go a bit bigger maybe on the power supply, I have the “I7, 2070, 16Gb” and have the 700w psu.

but hats off to you sir!

This setup won't need 700+ watts. A decent 650W unit would do fine

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

This setup won't need 700+ watts. A decent 650W unit would do fine

Efficiency would be a bit better on the power supply if you look at the curves, but I guess your not wrong in the meaning of total power draw.

so I stand corrected!

23 minutes ago, LobsterPunk said:

Hello!

You really only need to spend like $1200-1400 max on the PC to get a good experience, an R7 3700X + RX 5700/XT will do plenty fine, buy some stocks or bitcoin with the savings, or a chair, or mice, keyboard, ect...

And are you dead set on one of those crazy super ultra wide displays?

Because you can get a 4k 120hz display for around that much, then you'll have pixel density for years and actually be able to see everything.

Also the game support for that kind of display is lacking I'd imagine, like the game UI/camera is unlikely to survive being run at that resolution.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

And are you dead set on one of those crazy super ultra wide displays?

I kinda am.  We have 38" ultrawides  at the office and I really like them.  I wasn't sure about a 49" ultrawide, but I went to Microcenter and took a look at one in person and kinda fell in love.  You're right about the game support though.  From what I've read it's hit or miss, mostly hit, but some games can't run at that resolution so you have to change it up or it runs with giant black bars on either side. ?  

23 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Drop the NVMe drive, drop the ram down to 16, these won't benefit you

I'd also swap the gpu to a 2080S, the performance difference between these two is minimal. Not worth the extra 400$.

Good feedback, thank you.  I'll take a harder look at both the drive and the GPU.  The RAM I'd like to keep at 32GB because I have a really bad habit of leaving like a zillion chrome tabs open and it eats RAM like crazy.  All of my past 16GB systems from work tended to run out of free memory.  

3 minutes ago, LobsterPunk said:

I kinda am.  We have 38" ultrawides  at the office and I really like them.  I wasn't sure about a 49" ultrawide, but I went to Microcenter and took a look at one in person and kinda fell in love.  You're right about the game support though.  From what I've read it's hit or miss, mostly hit, but some games can't run at that resolution so you have to change it up or it runs with giant black bars on either side. ?  

This is more my jam

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($484.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($139.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: OLOy WarHawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Team MP34 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($110.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Twin Video Card  ($1049.00 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($141.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($107.92 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Samsung C49RG9 49.0" 5120x1440 120 Hz Monitor  ($1199.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3479.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-24 01:09 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

10 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

How are Zotac, OLOy, and Team as companies in terms of warranty support and the like?  I'm not as familiar with them as I am with some other brands, though I've certainly heard the name Zotac before.