ASRock M.2 2280 stand off broke in board

Go to solution Solved by The Blue Cryptid,
4 hours ago, W-L said:

If that silver portion is the actual threaded portion in the board you can try using a very small left hand drill bit and a pin vise to try and catch the bolt to back it out. 

I actually finally got it just now. Ijust took a small drill bit and power drill then just drilled out the hole. Of course i used compressed air after too. Thanks everyone for the ides :D

So I was installing my 2280 m.2 in my other motherboard. Thsn when im screwing it in, the standoff snapped off in its hole. I dont really want to use the other m.2 slot as its slower

15718902511793897889406722309691.jpg

Just here for some fun.

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070Ti 8GB ROG STRIX
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W

Mobo: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

Case: Corsair 4000D

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

CPU: Intel i5-11400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W

Mobo: ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax

Case: Silverstone RVZ03

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

How tight did you screw it?

can you get a grip from the underside?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

There are screw extraction tool kits that might help you, like this. You'll just have to be incredibly careful given where that broken standoff is, and there are no guarantees those extractors work. I bought a set for a stripped laptop screw and it was useless. I know others who've had success with the extractor bits. Only one way to find out, right? What's the worst that can happen? You slip and gouge your motherboard?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

9 minutes ago, The Blue Cryptid said:

So I was installing my 2280 m.2 in my other motherboard. Thsn when im screwing it in, the standoff snapped off in its hole. I dont really want to use the other m.2 slot as its slower

That PEM or threaded stud is soldered into the PCB itself, your best bet is to take that lower portion and to glue it into the section using some CA glue or epoxy. That top standoff should then bolt into the lower threaded PEM. 

If the screw isn't on too tight.

Can try this ghetto method. Take toothpick use the flat end and drip a bit of super glue and stick it to the broken screw. Leave it there until it's dry, at least half hour or so. Then use the toothpick to turn it.

Before doing that, check the bottom, there might be a chance you might be able to grab it from there and just continue to screw it in, until it comes out from the bottom.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 10/23/2019 at 11:44 PM, NumLock21 said:

If the screw isn't on too tight.

Can try this ghetto method. Take toothpick use the flat end and drip a bit of super glue and stick it to the broken screw. Leave it there until it's dry, at least half hour or so. Then use the toothpick to turn it.

Before doing that, check the bottom, there might be a chance you might be able to grab it from there and just continue to screw it in, until it comes out from the bottom.

Ok imma try that tomorrow. I just tried some hot glue and it sprang up during use. I think i remember like a mm or two behind the mb its just really friggen hard to grip

Just here for some fun.

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

Ok so i have absolutelyno wiggle room. The screw is like, perfectly broken into the slot. Im thinking that kit might be my only option

Just here for some fun.

31 minutes ago, The Blue Cryptid said:

Ok so i have absolutelyno wiggle room. The screw is like, perfectly broken into the slot. Im thinking that kit might be my only option

If that silver portion is the actual threaded portion in the board you can try using a very small left hand drill bit and a pin vise to try and catch the bolt to back it out. 

4 hours ago, W-L said:

I actually finally got it just now. Ijust took a small drill bit and power drill then just drilled out the hole. Of course i used compressed air after too. Thanks everyone for the ides :D

Just here for some fun.