Is N3060 enough for 2019?

Hi

I would like to swap my current computer (Optiplex 755) for something smaller and less power-hungry. When browsing the web I came acros one of the cheap Intel NUC-s with Celeron N3060. So I was wondering if it will be capable of compleating light tasks such as: web browsing(for example watching YouTube), using office programms (such as Open Office), Playing media (mostly music [VLC media player])?

Or maybe should I invest in some more money to buy for example on of the Intel STICK-s with m3?

I got a laptop with that processor and I can easily say, you wont be having any pleasant experience with anything dual core nowadays. 

Windows 10: nope.

Chrome: nope.

Office: Yes, but its not particularly fast with function heavy documents.

Media: as long as its H264 (so that you can use HW acceleration) it can play up to 1080^30.

Anything non windows: it works and all but its reaaaaaaaaally slow (I used ubuntu on it for couple of months then went back to windows 10 and it was faster.), you would have to run distros that are light on resources, especially GPU and CPU.

Gaming: dont even bother.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

I got a laptop with that processor and I can easily say, you wont be having any pleasant experience with anything dual core nowadays.

So m3-6y30 won't be good either?

2 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

I would honestly suggest just buying a chromebook if that’s the hardware that does the job.

Thanks for advise but I am 99.9% sure that I won't buy chromebook becouse of:

-From what I know the chrome OS is based around Chrome which means:

-I will have to have Internet connection to do almost everything on PC

-From what I have heard chrome uses a lot of ram which lots of chromebooks does not have

-I do not like chrome as browser, I much highly prefer Firefox

-I already have keyboard, mouse ,display,etc.

-Most of chromebook's are just too big.(too wide I dont have enough place on my desk)

-I do not want to learn another OS

web browsing(for example watching YouTube), using office programms (such as Open Office), Playing media (mostly music [VLC media player])?

You can also use an Android TV Box, that are optimized for media consumption.

They use around 10watt at most. Plug in a mouse and a keyboard and voila, a computer.

Image result for android tv box

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

13 minutes ago, Levent said:

The problem with the N3060 isn't that it is dual core, but those are Atom cores. Anything that isn't hardware accelerated is going to be slow on those.

8 minutes ago, Amforev said:

So m3-6y30 won't be good either?

At least this is a Skylake CPU, so they are much stronger than the ones in the N3060. Clock is still on the low side, but this is expected as they are optimised for very low power usage.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

The problem with the N3060 isn't that it is dual core, but those are Atom cores. Anything that isn't hardware accelerated is going to be slow on those.

I found on Intels site that it's actually Celeron not Atom.

image.png.ab6927df61947a7eebf7efb5b184e7e2.png

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can also use an Android TV Box, that are optimized for media consumption.

They use around 10watt at most. Plug in a mouse and a keyboard and voila, a computer.

Thanks for advice but I am afraid that Android does not support for example Open Office and I have used android in the past (on phone) and it was not my favourite OS for sure.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andropenoffice&hl=en

It's a direct port of open office (it's open source).

There are many office alternative apps for android.

for lite editing is just good enough.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

15 minutes ago, Amforev said:

I found on Intels site that it's actually Celeron not Atom.

Celeron is a marketing position that covers multiple generations. The cores are Braswell, which are a continuation of the Atom line.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

for lite editing is just good enough.

I am afraid this pc is going to be often used to work in office programs. Also i found in the comments of andropenoffice that you have to pay for Pro subscriction...... In open source app. And this app contains adds, office program with apps is not a good idea at all (in my opinion). So thanks for your engagment @SupaKomputa I appriciate what have you done, but I wont for sure buy android TV as my main PC.

4 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

I’m just gonna tl;dr this

just get the nuc tbh

Sorry but i do not come from England and i do not speak this language very well could you pls explain me what those shortcuts means?

7 minutes ago, porina said:

Celeron is a marketing position that covers multiple generations. The cores are Braswell, which are a continuation of the Atom line.

I did not know that, thanks for information.

5 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Tl;dr = “too long, didn’t read” or as a general term of summarizing something 

I mean to summarize the discussion here, the nuc is the best choice.

”tbh” just means “to be honest”

Thanks for this non tech related help.