PC case transportation

Kinantay4

I want to travel to Germany to study there, and I want to take my pc case with me. Do airline companies/airports allow you to take it with you in a bag on the plane? if not, what would you do?

As long as it doesn't have any battery and the dimension is allowed, i don't see why they refuse it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Depends on how big it is. I don't think they'll let you carry a mid tower as a carry-on, and I definitely wouldn't check it in.

I'd stick it back in its orginal case, (that it shipped to you), without the cpu cooler and the GPU, then stick that in a bigger box, then ship it. Ship air cooler and GPU separate. 

If your case is small enough to fit inside a carry on bag, you can keep it in there and cushion it well with foam and/or clothes. If you have the original box, packing that box and checking that on the plane will likely be safer as the original packaging was meant to handle rougher conditions. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Pelican case, proper packing materials and uninstalling graphic cards and air coolers before packing.

6 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I don't think they'll let you carry a mid tower as a carry-on

The case is nzxt h510 elite

7 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

If you have the original box, packing that box and checking that on the plane will likely be safer

Yea, luckily I still have the original box

So what I have to do is to put the GPU and the Cooler back in their boxes, and the rest in the case box, put them all in the bag and they will allow me in. 

Will they allow the cooler tho? I recall they didn't allow a water bottle in, then how about a liquid cooler?

5 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

uninstalling graphic cards and air coolers

Are they not allowed on the plane? or I just have to separate them and that's all?

1 minute ago, Kinantay4 said:

The case is nzxt h510 elite

Yea, luckily I still have the original box

So what I have to do is to put the GPU and the Cooler back in their boxes, and the rest in the case box, put them all in the bag and they will allow me in. 

Will they allow the cooler tho? I recall they didn't allow a water bottle in, then how about a liquid cooler?

if its a liquid cooler, you should be able to check it in. 

They'll probably throw it around, so honestly its going to be risky. Perhaps just sell the case locally and just buy a new one there, you can keep the mobo, cpu, gpu and the other stuff.

1 minute ago, Kinantay4 said:

Are they not allowed on the plane? or I just have to separate them and that's all?

if they throw you case around, the GPU is going to bounce around and it might get ripped out of the socket. Same thing with the CPU cooler.

You just dont want to leave them mounted to the MB as their weight can cause them to rip out of their mounts and damage themselves, the MB and other things in the case. You can even pack them in the same pelican case, just dont leave them installed

3 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

if they throw you case around

Oh, I actually meant that I want to carry it on the plane with my hand, not the check-in, won't that be better?

2 minutes ago, Kinantay4 said:

Oh, I actually meant that I want to carry it on the plane with my hand, not the check-in, won't that be better?

will they let you? Airlines usually have a certain size that they'll let you carry on and its usually small.

6 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

will they let you? Airlines usually have a certain size that they'll let you carry on and its usually small.

When it comes to size, they let you carry 2 small bags with you to the plane, but will they let me? that is one if the main questions in this post.

You'd honestly be better off shipping it, it'll be more expensive but if you make sure they label it high value they won't toss it around because that comes back on them.

Also, always pack CPU coolers, GPU's, and HDD's separately.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

39 minutes ago, Kinantay4 said:

When it comes to size, they let you carry 2 small bags with you to the plane, but will they let me? that is one if the main questions in this post.

You still havent stated what size your case is. This is simple, measure your case, contact the airline you are going to be flying and give them the specs and they will tell you if it can be carried on.

Personally I'd just take it out of the case, put things that will fit fine in hand luggage in their original box/suitable sized box (MB with CPU & RAM installed should fit in the original MB box, and the GPU basically) and anything heavy like a PSU (if I was taking that which I probably wouldn't) and CPU cooler (if a decent one) in hold luggage. The 510 Elite in a box will be likely bigger than is going to fit in an overhead locker (or at least pretty close to many airlines allowances) and with everything in it, it is likely to be heavier than the allowed weight carry-on allowance as well.

23 hours ago, IntMD said:

(MB with CPU & RAM installed should fit in the original MB box, and the GPU basically)

I actually decided to do this after the weight turned out to be higher than I thought, so ill take the CPU, GPU, RAMs and the Motherboard. But I still have a some space left... what do you think I should also take with me?

I suggest contacting the airline, they should be able to give you advice on how to transport the PC (ideally as a carry-on). I agree with the previous posts advising to uninstall any GPU and air cooler. If you have any component with liquid inside (for example an AiO), then you will likely have to put it into your checked-in bag.

@greenhorn The issue isn't about the size here, the thing is, the h510 (with its components) weight is too much for the check-in to accpet, and with the departure closing in, I already decided to take only the pricey parts with me

11 minutes ago, Kinantay4 said:

so ill take the CPU, GPU, RAMs and the Motherboard. But I still have a some space left... what do you think I should also take with me?

Do you suggest anything?

1 hour ago, Kinantay4 said:

I actually decided to do this after the weight turned out to be higher than I thought, so ill take the CPU, GPU, RAMs and the Motherboard. But I still have a some space left... what do you think I should also take with me?

Personally I'd just go, MB, CPU, RAM, GPU, and any SSDs. I'd leave HDDs unless you have any particularly large &/or expensive ones, or ones with stuff on that you can't replace. Maybe bring some fans (if you have expensive ones) with you if you have any spare space in your hold luggage as they wouldn't take up too much space and are light enough. I'd just leave everything else, or sell it before I left and pick up new, but if you can easily fit anything else like a PSU/cooler etc. in your hold luggage then you might as well go for that.

20 hours ago, IntMD said:

I'd just leave everything else, or sell it before I left and pick up new

Fortunately, my brother knows where to sell them and he will give me the money later.

20 hours ago, IntMD said:

PSU/cooler etc.

Yea I'll bring the liquid cooler with me, but the PSU will be left behind since I already want to have a better one to give my PC an upgrade.

Thanks for the advice dude, really appreciate it.