CPU Lifespan?

Do intel CPUs last longer if you play games with their graphics instead of using a dedicated gaming GPU? ??? Hmm...Questions questions

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Why would that make it last longer? CPU's also don't generally die anyway.

I don't know ? Integrated graphics are slow, so it means low CPU usage but high GPU usage, but does this lower CPU usage mean a longer life? ??

22 minutes ago, Adrian98765 said:

I don't know ? Integrated graphics are slow, so it means low CPU usage but high GPU usage, but does this lower CPU usage mean a longer life? ??

No, it doesn't. There are plenty of various kinds of old computers, including old Cray-supercomputers, that have been under enormous loads most of their lives and they're still working, several DECADES later. In most cases it's the other components that fail -- solder-joints oxidize and break off, various kinds of liquids and the likes corrode the PCBs and cause them to fail, capacitors that leak or blow up and so on are all much more typical failure-modes than something going bad in the CPU itself.

EDIT: Thought to add some more context here. I occasionally watch videos on restoration of old hardware and I've seen a couple cases where the CPUs had some of their legs falling off due to oxidization -- that's pretty bad, but a skilled restorer can fix even that. And guess what? Those CPUs were still working just fine once the legs had been replaced or otherwise rewired back together. Just goes to show that integrated circuits are quite resilient to wear and effects of time.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Will outlive their usefulness most of the time.

Motherboard will take a shit first

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

There are MOS 6502 made in 1981 that still work today, lifespan of a actual chip is not determined with age but with capability and performance.

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is quite old, but in case anyone needed some decades worth feedback... 

Cray supercomputer is not exactly consumer class hardware. 

Cyrix 486DX4-75 overclocked to 100MHz lasted ca. 5 years. Stock voltage, stock cooling. Died with a lot of BSODs. Motherboard lived longer. 

Intel P4 2,8GHz (Prescott core with HT) lived again ca. 5 years. This core was known to be very hot. Stock voltage, stock cooling. Again, a lot of BSODs. Motherboard lived longer. 

Intel s. 775 Dual Core E6500 45nm Wolfdale, lived ca. 9-10 years and through two motherboards. Slight overclock to 3,2GHz running undervolted and with proper cooling. A lot of distributed computing was done. Again it was dying with a lot of BSODs. 

Now I still run my almost 10 years old i5-760. That is 1st gen iCore. Again slight overclock to 3,4GHz running undervolted and with proper cooling. It is mostly running under load. The system needed a new motherboard last year. This CPU degraded over the years but it will surely last a couple more. Its overclocking capabilities went down from 3,8GHz to 3,4GHz on a brand new motherboard, so now it runs at 3,2GHz still undervolted. 

There is an article on GPU degradation over time when running under load 24/7, somewhere in the internet. It said that temperature plus voltage eventually will kill a transistor and basically that is what i can observe over the years. Manufacturing process also does matter. 

So the equation will look something like this: 1/[(volt)^temp]*process=lifespan

...it does not take load into account though. 

1 hour ago, Alek_EL said:

Cyrix 486DX4-75 overclocked to 100MHz lasted ca. 5 years. Stock voltage, stock cooling. Died with a lot of BSODs. Motherboard lived longer. 

Intel P4 2,8GHz (Prescott core with HT) lived again ca. 5 years. This core was known to be very hot. Stock voltage, stock cooling. Again, a lot of BSODs. Motherboard lived longer. 

I've got one two or three laptops and two desktops that are now like 11 years old and the CPUs in all of them are still like brand-new; no degradation or anything, clock just fine and all. One of the laptops has its GPU stopped working, though, and it looks like it's because of the solder-joints having come loose on the BGA. Haven't bothered fixing that one. Also, some of the caps on one of the desktop's mobo are seemingly bad now; easily fixable, if I could bother to inspect which ones are gonski.

I don't think I've ever had a PC's CPU or mobo die in just 5 years. I've actually never had a CPU die at all.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Running full load 24/7 is easier on the cpu in some ways(unless you're running high vcore/overclocked) because it has less hot/cold cycles through it.

1 hour ago, yaboistar said:

you can run a cpu at 100% load for years, and years and years on end and it will be fine

what kills CPU's, and basically any kind of sillicon based circuitry, is excessive heat and excessive voltage, especially ESD.

i have pre-millenium sillicon that is still fully functional, infact the components on the board tend to go before the chips (electrolytic caps i'm looking at you)

exactly my point

regarding load - normally load increases temperature, sometimes voltage too, hence, load does matter