Does B-die RAM still matter?

Hello guys,

I'm planning on building my first PC and while documenting what parts to pick, I've got stuck in picking the RAM. (I'll mostly be gaming).

For MB, i'll either go x570 Aorus Elite or Master and 3800x Processor (it's almost the same price as 3700x).

And on MB subject, is it worth the extra ~150$ for the Aorus Master?

But what about RAM? Is it still that important for them to be B-Die, or can I go with other producers?

How important is QVL compatibility with MBs?

For the moment, I've found a pair of G.Skill Trident Z Neo (16GB), F4-3600C16D-16GTZN, 16-16-16-39. Problem is, for that same price, I can get same model, but 32GB and 16-19-19-39.

I do plan on doing some memory OC, to squeeze more performance too.

Price for them in my country is around ~210$.

Any tips/recommandations?

For 3000 series (Zen 2) no, it doesn't matter anymore. You can use pretty much any RAM you like.

On the subject of the board, IMO its not worth the extra. With boards theres a point of diminishing returns where you pay WAAAAY more money for hardly anything extra. For me that used to be around the £200/$200 mark but for X570 prices have gone up because of PCIe 4.0 so I revised it to £280/$280. Anything that costs more than that you're paying the premium tax and for gimmicks that you don't need and will probably use once then never touch again.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, Ema J said:

is it worth the extra ~150$ for the Aorus Master?

Unless you really need the slightly better power delivery, WiFi and a 2.5 gigabit Ethernet port plus some sick RGB, you don't have to shell out more money for Master.

13 minutes ago, Ema J said:

Is it still that important for them to be B-Die, or can I go with other producers?

It's not that important any more as the memory compatibility of Ryzen processors has improved greatly since first gen.

Not to mention that B-die is being discontinued.

15 minutes ago, Ema J said:

How important is QVL compatibility with MBs?

QVL (Qualified Vendor List) are those parts that were "tested working" and approved by the motherboard manufacturer. They are more likely to work with the board compared to other random, generic parts. (Keep in mind manufacturer may change components without notice, so QVL is not a guarantee)

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

What do you guys know of the Trident Z Neo? How well do they OC? Can you get 3600/CL16 or even 3800 CL16 (maybe lower timings)?