Steam vs Origin vs Gog

Chiakuu

I wish to get Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga on PC, but I do not know which store to go with. They are all the same price (20$). My understanding is that Steam and Origin give you licenses to play, not licenses for the actual game (so you do not own the game you own the right to play). From my vague knowledge about Gog, it has fixes for older games to work on new hardware (steam has issues with this game) and that you own the license for the game instead of the license to play like steam and origin. Is that true? And importantly, is Gog trustworthy? I heard bad things about its trustworthiness before but do not know if those hold water. Thanks

I keep hearing GoG is the best.  If I keep hearing that I may have to switch over.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, Genwyn said:

When you buy a gog game you get the option to run it via their launcher or to just download an exe. This exe is an installer and it can be used by you as many time as you want to install the game on as many systems as you personally own. There is no key, there is no internet requirement or account needed.

If those are the 3 services offering the game then GOG is always the best option.

^^^ this. Used GoG's lack of DRM to have fun with my siblings, I was able to install Battlefront II 2005 on multiple laptops so we could have LAN games together. Steam would have forced me to make 3 more alt accounts and then buy it on all of those to do that. 

As for being trustworthy, it's run by CD Projekt Red, the guys who made the Witcher series (I own the Witcher 3 on GoG as well), and are making Cyberpunk 2077. They're solid as all fuck from what I've seen, and you get the good feeling that you're supporting one of the good ones, they don't push a lot of the bullshit other publishers do. 

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

I keep hearing GoG is the best.  If I keep hearing that I may have to switch over.  

Dewit, if a game is available on GoG then yoink it there. GoG Galaxy (their launcher) is pretty good, and you can install without it if you want to. Also no need for always online stuff unless the game itself were to require that. 

They also were the ones who patched Battlefront II 2005 for Multiplayer AFAIK, and got servers up and running, and then shared that with Steam so there's crossplay between the two. Their versions of old classics like KOTOR and such (according to reviews on GoG) run better than the Steam versions do and already have some slight fixes for more modern rigs. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Steam. Everything in one Place, including a Forum. Best Plattform for me.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Gog is literally a store: you get the game FOR REAL. No drm, no nothing. And its run by CDPR so its very trustworthy.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, CrazyBrick15 said:

I wish to get Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga on PC, but I do not know which store to go with. They are all the same price (20$). My understanding is that Steam and Origin give you licenses to play, not licenses for the actual game (so you do not own the game you own the right to play). From my vague knowledge about Gog, it has fixes for older games to work on new hardware (steam has issues with this game) and that you own the license for the game instead of the license to play like steam and origin. Is that true? And importantly, is Gog trustworthy? I heard bad things about its trustworthiness before but do not know if those hold water. Thanks

First of all, you can choose whichever one you wish. They all run pretty much the same on either platform. Secondly, only a sucker would pay $20.00 for the complete saga when it hits $3.98 to $$6.99($7.99 at most) every single month on either Steam, Origin, GOG, Humble or GameBillet...

starsag.png.jpg.3396a5f3e73571c1c62c0eaba052ea84.jpg

You're in luck because it has yet to hit $3.98 to $$6.99 in October. Which means it's guaranteed to do so within the next 2 weeks. My guess would be during the Halloween sales. Expect $5.99 to $6.99, tough to predict which one.

P.S. Steam, GOG, Origin, UPlay, Humble, GreenManGaming, Fanatical and IndieGala are very trustworthy. Been using them for years. I have yet to use GameBillet but I would lean towards them being trustworthy as well as a cheap option throughout the year.