Desktop Reboots While Gaming

As the title says when gaming my PC will restart on me. No error codes, no BSOD, I just hear the power click and then it reboots.

Back ground info:

I have the Asus Arez Stirx Vega 56 card.

The card has always run loud, so last weekend I decided to replace the thermal paste and thermal pad on the card.

(There is a lot of evidence that the thermal pad that the card comes with is too thin and does not cool the VRMs effectively, which is why I replaced it along with the thermal paste.)

I replaced the stock 2.5mm thermal pad with a Thermal Grizzly Minus 8 3mm thick pad, and used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste on the GPU die.

All was well on Sunday and Monday, but then on Tuesday when trying to play Destiny 2 after about 10 minutes of game play the PC rebooted.

To confirm it wasn't just Destiny 2 I also tried BFV with the same result.

The following data is over several gaming sessions/reboots

I have checked Event Viewer and the only items in there are about the system loosing power, and shutting down unexpectedly.

I monitored GPU temps and they never got above 83C before rebooting.

According to HWin64 the GPU hot spot reached 93C before rebooting.

(PC has no issues when at the desktop or web browsing)

Other testing

Assuming it was GPU heat related I loaded up the Asus Furmark stress test and observed GPU temps of 85C and GPU hot spot of 100C for 10min without reboot.

Possible future testing

I have an old GTX 960 that I am considering swapping in to 100% confirm the GPU is the problem.

Tear apart Vega card and confirm good thermal paste application and thermal pad placement.

At this point I have no idea what is causing the PC to reboot, as it does not appear to be GPU temp. If you need anymore info let me know.

System Specs:

i7 6700K stock frequency

16GB Corsair 3000Mhz RAM

Msi Z170a Gaming M5 with most current BIOS available.

Asus Arez Strix Vega 56

Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold PSU

Case: Meshify C with two 140mm Nocuta intake fans

CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate CPU cooler

56 minutes ago, BecauseRussia said:

As the title says when gaming my PC will restart on me. No error codes, no BSOD, I just hear the power click and then it reboots.

Back ground info:

I have the Asus Arez Stirx Vega 56 card.

The card has always run loud, so last weekend I decided to replace the thermal paste and thermal pad on the card.

(There is a lot of evidence that the thermal pad that the card comes with is too thin and does not cool the VRMs effectively, which is why I replaced it along with the thermal paste.)

I replaced the stock 2.5mm thermal pad with a Thermal Grizzly Minus 8 3mm thick pad, and used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste on the GPU die.

All was well on Sunday and Monday, but then on Tuesday when trying to play Destiny 2 after about 10 minutes of game play the PC rebooted.

To confirm it wasn't just Destiny 2 I also tried BFV with the same result.

The following data is over several gaming sessions/reboots

I have checked Event Viewer and the only items in there are about the system loosing power, and shutting down unexpectedly.

I monitored GPU temps and they never got above 83C before rebooting.

According to HWin64 the GPU hot spot reached 93C before rebooting.

(PC has no issues when at the desktop or web browsing)

Other testing

Assuming it was GPU heat related I loaded up the Asus Furmark stress test and observed GPU temps of 85C and GPU hot spot of 100C for 10min without reboot.

Possible future testing

I have an old GTX 960 that I am considering swapping in to 100% confirm the GPU is the problem.

Tear apart Vega card and confirm good thermal paste application and thermal pad placement.

At this point I have no idea what is causing the PC to reboot, as it does not appear to be GPU temp. If you need anymore info let me know.

System Specs:

i7 6700K stock frequency

16GB Corsair 3000Mhz RAM

Msi Z170a Gaming M5 with most current BIOS available.

Asus Arez Strix Vega 56

Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold PSU

Case: Meshify C with two 140mm Nocuta intake fans

CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate CPU cooler

Sounds like PSU issue. The RMx tend to be a very good PSU but doesn't mean issues won't appear. If the issue didn't start until you redid the GPU its possible you need to remount the card make sure your power connections are secure. I agree heat doesn't seem to be an issue and Kryonaut isn't conductive so unless you accidentally knocked off a resistor or cap sounds like a PSU problem.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's