SFF build with custom 7.5 liter case and full size GPU

ccRicers

I'm moving my current build to a custom case that is mostly made out of 3D printed parts but will have some acrylic panels as well. Right now I'm still waiting for the print shop to get more parts done since I don't have a 3D printer in house. This is a small case at 7.5 liters, with a layout like the DAN case A4 including support for a front 92mm fan, CPU coolers up to 48mm tall and GPUs up to 304mm long.

Here is a render of the "Mark 1" design.

V2ODmJp.jpg

This is what I'm currently working with:

• CPU - Intel i5-6600K
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte H170N-Wifi
  • RAM - 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
  • GPU - Asus Strix R9 390X
  • Storage - 250GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • CPU cooler - Scythe SCKZT-1000
  • PSU - SFX, model to be determined

Currently the case is just 40-50% assembled but it holds up well for plastic. This is ABS plastic so there should be no risk of parts deforming from load temperatures.

mnD2Esq.jpg

FSCQDCW.jpg

yk1jYe7.jpg

Like the DAN case, the motherboard connects the GPU with a riser cable. The cable is hanging freely in this version of the case but I already have an improved design in the works for a more user-friendly experience building in the case.

The production version of the case will have two slots to allow the riser to freely slide vertically with about 1cm of movement.

qZ9rCtC.jpg

As with most FDM prints there are imperfections with the quality of the case. While the parts do fit together, some of the holes for screw standoffs are a bit too small. They are printed along the vertical Z axis instead of just the XY axis.

Next is a view of the top end of the case tray. Instead of a continuous "spine" piece from front to back, it stops at the motherboard tray, and supports for PSU mounting will be added later. But it shows how rigid the frame pieces are, even with only half of the case assembled.

tgYG6Ts.jpg

The motherboard tray has two tabs in the rear that will friction fit inside the back I/O piece. This allows some additional slack to install big cards by making the top end move away, but with the top piece attached, it will all hold in place.

Next up, I'm buying some screws and accessory parts to help round out the look of the case. Black countersunk hex screws to replace the silver ones, and case feet. I bought the following rubber feet which will raise the case by 10mm so a bottom fan gets enough intake air. I actually don't know how big the holes for the feet are (I sized the case holes for M3) but if they are larger I will enlarge the case holes with a drill.

d05b26Y.jpg

I do not know which I will receive first- the remaining case panels or the feet. The next update will be whatever I assemble next.