New Build, Should i get the 2700X or 3600

WilliamVixoe

Hi Guys,

I am making my parts list for my new build and i am really torn, which processor i should get, currently i am thinking the Ryzen 5 3600 or the Ryzen 7 2700x. They are similair in price, as all of you most likely know, however, the 2700 is not much cheaper than the 2700x here in Denmark (like 5$ tops), which is why the choice is locked to a choice of aforementioned processores.

I would appreciate any feedback or insight, even if there is something from intel, then i am also willing to use that.

I am pretty much open for anything, i would just like to gain greater perspective before making a decision.

The build is going to be used as following, which is simply just a quick sketch.

30%: Productivity - Office 365, Emailing, Website Creationg with photo editing as a part of it.
55%: Work - Dynamics, Business Analysis, Financial, Analysis and Quant Trading.
15%: Gaming and Entertainment - Battlefield, COD, Civ VI, CS-GO and WOW.

The specification for now sounds accordingly:

CPU 2700X
CPU Cooler Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
Mortherboard Asus TUF B450M-Pro
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Black DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB
SSD Harddisk Adata XPG SPECTRIX S40G RGB 512GB
GPU (Graphics Card) Asus ROG STRIX 2070 Super 8Gb
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Case Fractal Design Focus G Mini Window

If any of you were able to give me performance data, that would also be greately appreciated, so taht i can make a proper comparative analysis, where the only variable would be the processor.

In terms of data I have my private NAS for mass storage, as i mentioend, i would appreciate any input and feedback.

I hope that you will be able to help and wish you a pleasent day!

Thanks in advance

Yours Sincerely
William. C. T. Vixø

I took a quick look on cpu.userbencmark.com and the 3600 comes out on top. I'd go with the 3600.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

I took a quick look on cpu.userbencmark.com and the 3600 comes out on top. I'd go with the 3600.

Hi,

Thank you for your input, i have looked at their benchmark results, however, the site does not make the CPU the only variable does it? because if it dos'nt, it does not matter, as the results are not representive of the performance.

But what would you pick yourself, if you had to make the choice, still the R5 3600, the R7 2700X or maybe another CPU, such as the 9600K?

thanks again and i am looking forward to hearing from you!

Yours Sincerely
William. C. T. Vixø

i run a 2700 overclocked to 4Ghz on all cores as well as a 5700 keep in mind the 5700 XT while cheaper almost is on par with a 2070s so unless you need ray tracing consider the 5700xt

17 minutes ago, williywumme said:

Thank you for your input, i have looked at their benchmark results, however, the site does not make the CPU the only variable does it? because if it dos'nt, it does not matter, as the results are not representive of the performance.

But what would you pick yourself, if you had to make the choice, still the R5 3600, the R7 2700X or maybe another CPU, such as the 9600K?

The way the site works is by collecting user benchmarks. Many users have differents system and all the different benchmark results gets compined to an average for each CPU. I would dare to say that it is the best way to look at CPU. But you are entitled to your own opinion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for what I'd pick myself, I would go with the 3600. The reason for that is that generational improvements in the architecture and the same price as the 2700X I feel is enough to sway me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

i run a 2700 overclocked to 4Ghz on all cores as well as a 5700 keep in mind the 5700 XT while cheaper almost is on par with a 2070s so unless you need ray tracing consider the 5700xt

Hi,

Thank you for the your input aswell.

The rx 5700 is approxmiately 90% of the rx 5700 xt, which is 90% of the RTX 2070, as far as i have understod it.

Could you please provide some sources, so that i can correct my assumptions, if they are wrong.

Thanks again, i really appreciate your input. What is the specifications of your build and how does it perform, doen any benchmarks yourself?

Have a great day!

Yours sincerely
William. C. T. Vixø

9 minutes ago, williywumme said:

Hi,

Thank you for the your input aswell.

The rx 5700 is approxmiately 90% of the rx 5700 xt, which is 90% of the RTX 2070, as far as i have understod it.

Could you please provide some sources, so that i can correct my assumptions, if they are wrong.

Thanks again, i really appreciate your input. What is the specifications of your build and how does it perform, doen any benchmarks yourself?

Have a great day!

Yours sincerely
William. C. T. Vixø

heres the benchmark i found        

as for my specs 

case:phanteks enthoo primo 

cpu 2700 with all core OC of 4ghz 1.35 volts

gpu rx 5700 sapphire pulse

8gbx2 team group vulcan 3000 mhz

cooler 360mm aio from cooler master

1080p lcd monitor acer

in shadow of the tomb raider i get average 99 fps

if it matters i went with this setup as it was cheap and i couldnt afford a 3rd gen ryzen

but as you can see in the video i linked you to in most of the games he tests the 5700xt almost is on par with the 2070 super but can be had cheaper

Screenshot (89).png

20 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

The way the site works is by collecting user benchmarks. Many users have differents system and all the different benchmark results gets compined to an average for each CPU. I would dare to say that it is the best way to look at CPU. But you are entitled to your own opinion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for what I'd pick myself, I would go with the 3600. The reason for that is that generational improvements in the architecture and the same price as the 2700X I feel is enough to sway me.

Hi again,

Just read the message I sent and sorry if I seemed arrogant, differently not the point, I appreciate you taking the time to answer and help a fellow computer enthusiast.

In regards to the benchmark website, Now it makes more sense to me and thank you. I can see how that would provide the purest insight into the real-world performance of the given part.

But yeah, again sorry if I seemed unthankful and cocky. Sometimes my financial brain goes, where finding abnormalities is the task at hand, followed up by explaining of them and then finding a way to make them advantageous.

Hope it makes sense and thank you again for your input.

I am also leaning towards the 3600; however, the productivity benefits of the 2700x seem to be quiet a bit in raw performance, but then again the newer architecture shortens that gap and brings a whole new lot of other benefits.

Yours Sincerely

6 minutes ago, williywumme said:

Hi again,

Just read the message I sent and sorry if I seemed arrogant, differently not the point, I appreciate you taking the time to answer and help a fellow computer enthusiast.

In regards to the benchmark website, Now it makes more sense to me and thank you. I can see how that would provide the purest insight into the real-world performance of the given part.

But yeah, again sorry if I seemed unthankful and cocky. Sometimes my financial brain goes, where finding abnormalities is the task at hand, followed up by explaining of them and then finding a way to make them advantageous.

I am also leaning towards the 3600; however, the productivity benefits of the 2700x seem to be quiet a bit in raw performance, but then again the newer architecture shortens that gap and brings a whole new lot of other benefits.

Yours Sincerely

if you can save up for a 3700 its a good 8core cpu but then again in games like AC:ODYSSEY all 8 cores on my 2700 get used so no issues with stutter etc

4 minutes ago, williywumme said:

I must say you are one of the most sincere people I've talked to on this forum :D 

I can see why the 2700X is very appealing. I have reconsidered and since you are gonna use it for 35% productivity and only 15% gaming the extra (but a bit slower) cores is a definite benifit.

If you don't have the option to save up for the 3700X like @dreamcast4599 suggested I would go with the 2700X. The cores are slower than the 3600 (A.K.A. worse for gaming) the extra cores makes it the best choice.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

42 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

I must say you are one of the most sincere people I've talked to on this forum :D 

I can see why the 2700X is very appealing. I have reconsidered and since you are gonna use it for 35% productivity and only 15% gaming the extra (but a bit slower) cores is a definite benifit.

If you don't have the option to save up for the 3700X like @dreamcast4599 suggested I would go with the 2700X. The cores are slower than the 3600 (A.K.A. worse for gaming) the extra cores makes it the best choice.

i agree with @Uptivuptiz in game that can utilize more than 4 -6 cores all cores will be utilized meaning with a 2700 games can spread the gaming load across all 8 cores for less stutter

Hi

First of all i am pleased to hear that i did not seem cocky and that I am sincere, personally i have always taught that the nicer you are to people, the nicer they are to you and other, thereby improving everybodies life. But enought about that. Thank you and i can only say the same to you @Uptivuptiz, and for that matter @dreamcast4599 .

In regards to the built, first the graphics card. My mindset at the moment for chosing the RTX 2070 S is that Ray Tracing and in general the more of an experience the gaming time is, the better. As it is differently a lower prioritazation, but i would still love to have a experience, rather than just game, when i finally chose to have a break and do so. Furthermore, I can accelarate aforementioned Quant Trading with Cuda Cores.

Regarding the processor, i completly aggree with what both of you say, and again i can see both sides, which is why i need input. ;) haha

It is more if the new architecture and better clock speeds our performed the 2700x and it two more cores and four threads when multi tasking. Furthermore if the 2700x would be any kind of bottle neck / being CPU bound.

I am looking forward to hear from both of you again.

1 hour ago, williywumme said:

It is more if the new architecture and better clock speeds our performed the 2700x and it two more cores and four threads when multi tasking. Furthermore if the 2700x would be any kind of bottle neck / being CPU bound.

Only in very specific work loads can I see this being a problem. In a workload where CPU and GPU will be stressed simultaneously the GPU might be bottlenecked slightly by the CPU, but I wouldn't worry about that happening in day-to-day workloads.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯