How to change this to USB

Neutrideo

Hi All, I wish to use THIS as a push to talk for my computer. How could I solder/mess around with it to turn it into PTT?

Well, the easiest would be to make a tiny box with two stereo jacks in it, and the button would connect the left and right channel wires between connectors when pressed down

The more complex would be to use a microcontroller as a usb keyboard and monitor the button ... when it's pushed down, the microcontroller sends a key combination (like ctrl+shift+m for unmute) and another key combination for mute, or a combination is kept pressed for "push to talk"

On 10/14/2019 at 7:01 PM, mariushm said:

Well, the easiest would be to make a tiny box with two stereo jacks in it, and the button would connect the left and right channel wires between connectors when pressed down

The more complex would be to use a microcontroller as a usb keyboard and monitor the button ... when it's pushed down, the microcontroller sends a key combination (like ctrl+shift+m for unmute) and another key combination for mute, or a combination is kept pressed for "push to talk"

Okay. I am a virtual air traffic controller, so am trying to make a PTT to put on the floor, and can press it with my foot to sent a key c

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 8:54 PM, Neutrideo said:

Okay. I am a virtual air traffic controller, so am trying to make a PTT to put on the floor, and can press it with my foot to sent a key c

I would recommend an Arduino Leonardo if you have a little electronics/programming experience- it's essentially like a normal Arduino but works with basic USB keyboard/mouse drivers, so you don't have to worry about any scripting on the computer side.