Home server for gaming help

I have been messing around with server builds for the last couple years now, nothing crazy always made from older used tech. They have always served their purpose but lead me to wonder if I can go even cheaper or if I should scale up for more use/better performance. I'm looking to run servers for the following games simutaneously, 7 Day To Die x 1, Ark Survival Evolved x 6, Minecraft x 2, and possibly more in the future. My main server setup is an Intel board with dual Xeon 5450? I think and 16gb of ddr2 ecc ram. It has run the 7dtd and Minecraft server at same time with no issue but don't think it could handle another 6 ark servers as well. The other issue is I would like to find a security solution as that server was hacked and hard disk encrypted to try to scam me of money. Luckily it was only used for those game servers so I disposed of that hard drive. However I would like to also prevent this from happening again. 

so all in all my questions are what is the cheapest option to be able to run all those servers simultaneously and once it's running now can I protect it from being hacked. Thanks in advance 

6 minutes ago, Twowheelz4lyfe said:

I have been messing around with server builds for the last couple years now, nothing crazy always made from older used tech. They have always served their purpose but lead me to wonder if I can go even cheaper or if I should scale up for more use/better performance. I'm looking to run servers for the following games simutaneously, 7 Day To Die x 1, Ark Survival Evolved x 6, Minecraft x 2, and possibly more in the future. My main server setup is an Intel board with dual Xeon 5450? I think and 16gb of ddr2 ecc ram. It has run the 7dtd and Minecraft server at same time with no issue but don't think it could handle another 6 ark servers as well. The other issue is I would like to find a security solution as that server was hacked and hard disk encrypted to try to scam me of money. Luckily it was only used for those game servers so I disposed of that hard drive. However I would like to also prevent this from happening again. 

so all in all my questions are what is the cheapest option to be able to run all those servers simultaneously and once it's running now can I protect it from being hacked. Thanks in advance 

when you say run those games, do you mean run servers for? see if you can pick up and old rack mount with 2x5650s and 64gb ram, should be about $100 usd

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

6 minutes ago, Twowheelz4lyfe said:

I have been messing around with server builds for the last couple years now, nothing crazy always made from older used tech. They have

Do they need a graphics card? because you can just run them in virtual machines.

Otherwise that sounds like a lot, maybe just get a 1950X? it supports ECC memory too depending on the board, but that's probably not necessary for just a casual game server

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

52 minutes ago, astranger200 said:

when you say run those games, do you mean run servers for? see if you can pick up and old rack mount with 2x5650s and 64gb ram, should be about $100 usd

Yes I mean the dedicated servers for those games. You think 2 5650s would be able to handle that much?

53 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Do they need a graphics card? because you can just run them in virtual machines.

Otherwise that sounds like a lot, maybe just get a 1950X? it supports ECC memory too depending on the board, but that's probably not necessary for just a casual game server

I never really read into virtual machines and as a result am not familiar with what it even is

Just now, Twowheelz4lyfe said:

I never really read into virtual machines and as a result am not familiar with what it even is

You'd just run each server inside it's own self contained OS, assuming you don't have to share real graphics horsepower to them.

1950Xs are down to $400 on ebay, unless you also happen to live near san diego.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.X1950X.TRS1&_nkw=1950X&_sacat=0

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

There are other factors as well, such as how many players are on each game server and how fast is your internet connection is for this server, home internet isn't the greatest for a game servers especially with a lot of players. 

As far security, use good passwords don't run the game servers as root/administrator. Keep on top of your software updates. Don't open up unnecessary ports on the server. 

I would look into virtual machines for game servers. Hypervisor like ESXI, Proxmox, Hyper-V might be a good start. It makes it much easier to manage.

1 minute ago, Catsrules said:

There are other factors as well, such as how many players are on each game server and how fast is your internet connection is for this server,

Typically for game servers I think you just want really high single threaded performance, so a 4ghz 1950X should be the most cores for the least amount of money, running at that speed.

Barring some super discount used servers that are still kind of newer.

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Typically for game servers I think you just want really high single threaded performance, so a 4ghz 1950X should be the most cores for the least amount of money, running at that speed.

Barring some super discount used servers that are still kind of newer.

It doesn't matter if you have a Bugatti server, if you only have a dirt road to drive it on your going to have a bad time. For example Minecraft recommends a 3-5 player server has a 3 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up.  That upload speed would max out many home connections as most have very small upload bandwidth. Mine is 100mpbs down but only like 7mpbs up. And that is just one Minecraft server.

Now if OP has a 100/100mbps  or 50/50 mpbs now we are talking.   

8 hours ago, Catsrules said:

It doesn't matter if you have a Bugatti server, if you only have a dirt road to drive it on your going to have a bad time. For example Minecraft recommends a 3-5 player server has a 3 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up.  That upload speed would max out many home connections as most have very small upload bandwidth. Mine is 100mpbs down but only like 7mpbs up. And that is just one Minecraft server.

Now if OP has a 100/100mbps  or 50/50 mpbs now we are talking.   

Pretty sure I have 300 down 100 up speeds so that shouldn't be an issue and like I said running 3 servers before was never an issue

9 hours ago, Streetguru said:

You'd just run each server inside it's own self contained OS, assuming you don't have to share real graphics horsepower to them.

1950Xs are down to $400 on ebay, unless you also happen to live near san diego.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.X1950X.TRS1&_nkw=1950X&_sacat=0

They do not need gpu power. Is there a quick explanation to why running then in virtual servers would be benifitial? You say it's easier but after the servers are set up they are easy to control regularly and with Windows10 pro I can even access the pc from my gaming rig

31 minutes ago, Twowheelz4lyfe said:

They do not need gpu power. Is there a quick explanation to why running then in virtual servers would be benifitial? You say it's easier but after

Didn't you want increased security? That's what the virtual machines are for.

Also a problem in one of the OSes wouldn't transfer to the others or the host.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Didn't you want increased security? That's what the virtual machines are for.

Also a problem in one of the OSes wouldn't transfer to the others or the host.

I looked into it and thanks for the tip it is a good idea. Is there an easy automatic way to save backups from the virtual is to the main os without risk of contamination in event of it being compromised again?

2 minutes ago, Twowheelz4lyfe said:

I looked into it and thanks for the tip it is a good idea. Is there an easy automatic way to save backups from the virtual is to the main os without risk of contamination in event of it being compromised again?

The software should have a way to make a copy of the virtual hard drive

You could try the level 1 techs forums for more technical stuff.

If budget isn't much of an issue though I'd probably stick to the 1950X

Or Threadripper 3000 is right around the corner.

Spoiler